What's new

Ax88u wireguard issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grabo1530

Occasional Visitor
I've had wireguard running perfect as a client for over a year on my rt ax88u.With hardly if no slowdown of speeds.
Last week when I tried to get on the Internet I couldn't get anything .
I found that all my devices that connect to the router have no upload at all but download is fine .
If I turn the vpn off everything is fine .
I've flashed up to the latest merlin still the same .I've factory reset the router and flashed back to version 3.0.0.4.388.5.0
And set back up with a new wireguard config file ,and there's still no upload on any devices connected.
The routers inbuilt speedtest shows good download and upload so I think it's something to do with router to device side but being a novice not sure where to go .
My vpn provider is Surfshark.

Can anyone give me some pointers ?
Thanks in advance

With no uploading, you'd have no internet.

How are you determining this is the issue?

I've had wireguard running perfect as a client for over a year on my rt ax88u.With hardly if no slowdown of speeds.
Last week when I tried to get on the Internet I couldn't get anything .
I found that all my devices that connect to the router have no upload at all but download is fine .
If I turn the vpn off everything is fine .
I've flashed up to the latest merlin still the same .I've factory reset the router and flashed back to version 3.0.0.4.388.5.0
And set back up with a new wireguard config file ,and there's still no upload on any devices connected.
The routers inbuilt speedtest shows good download and upload so I think it's something to do with router to device side but being a novice not sure where to go .
My vpn provider is Surfshark.

Can anyone give me some pointers ?
Thanks in advance
Hi Buddy 👋 ..I have a Surfshark VPN account and their absolutely fantastic with great speeds and experimenting at the moment with the latest Merlin software on my recent purchase of a Asus 86u Pro router and it's running real sweet for the past week ... incredible router for sure .

Anyhow I have 4 Wireguard Clients setup along with VPN director I could try a couple this evening and see if they are working okay . I only use my VPN from time to time .

I set

I set up vpn director so 2.4ghz goes through Wireguard and 5ghz doesn't.
One connects to the Internet the other doesn't.
One gives fast download and decent upload the other gives fast download 0 upload .

Hi Buddy 👋 ..I have a Surfshark VPN account and their absolutely fantastic with great speeds and experimenting at the moment with the latest Merlin software on my recent purchase of a Asus 86u Pro router and it's running real sweet for the past week ... incredible router for sure .

Anyhow I have 4 Wireguard Clients setup along with VPN director I could try a couple this evening and see if they are working okay . I only use my VPN from time to time .
Yes please do .I've been trying alsorts here Surfshark support are next to useless .

I set

I set up vpn director so 2.4ghz goes through Wireguard and 5ghz doesn't.
One connects to the Internet the other doesn't.
One gives fast download and decent upload the other gives fast download 0 upload .
Ahhh ..not herd of that before 😳!..How's that even possible they both should work on both channels I seriously don't get that talk about weird 😒.

Yes please do .I've been trying alsorts here Surfshark support are next to useless .
Okay Just tried it and it works perfectly fine . I checked on 2 devices my LG 55 TV web browser and it showed VPN server IP address and I checked my mobile phone also showed IP address and that's on 5Ghz band .👍Thats WireGuard VPN & VPN director.

Btw just completely clear all your wire guard and VPN settings and just re-download from the surfshark website the wireguard settings from fresh perhaps also clear your private and public key from your surfshark account and get or generate a new set of keys try that see how you go .🙏🤞.

Last edited:
Okay Just tried it and it works perfectly fine . I checked on 2 devices my LG 55 TV web browser and it showed VPN server IP address and I checked my mobile phone also showed IP address and that's on 5Ghz band .👍Thats WireGuard VPN & VPN director.

Btw just completely clear all your wire guard and VPN settings and just re-download from the surfshark website the wireguard settings from fresh perhaps also clear your private and public key from your surfshark account and get or generate a new set of keys try that see how you go .🙏🤞.
I've done that several times,Can you tell me what MTU value you have ,

Ahhh ..not herd of that before 😳!..How's that even possible they both should work on both channels I seriously don't get that talk about weird 😒.
My mobile and laptop see 2.4ghz and 5ghz and I set fixed ip addresses for each ,then in vpn director set 2.4ghz to Wireguard and 5ghz to Wan .

I've done that several times,Can you tell me what MTU value you have ,
Hi if your referring to the MTU size for 4 or my WG client Servers their blank . I just imported the surfshark VPN file for each server and that's it .

Or if your referring to the MTU size I have for my ISP then it's 1492 as it's a PPOE EE FTTC connection and I actually did a manual packet test and 1492 is spot on so I don't get any fragmentation ..I'm I supposed to put 1492 on each of the 4 WG client servers I use I don't think you need to it does state "optional".

Hope this helps .🙂

Yes mine is blank in the wireguard seruo page too ...I can't help think it's something to do with that ...I'll experiment with entering a value of 1492 same as yours...then change by 20 a time downwards and see if I get any upload back .

Yes mine is blank in the wireguard seruo page too ...I can't help think it's something to do with that ...I'll experiment with entering a value of 1492 same as yours...then change by 20 a time downwards and see if I get any upload back .
Sounds a good idea 💡 👍from memory it's packet size then you must enter in the header/container which is 28bytes.. So I started at 1500 then worked down bit by bit until no fragmentation then it was bang on 1464 bytes + 28 bytes for the header then you get 1492 with all packets sent and 0 sent back . I believe that is the correct way in doing it .

My ISP EE UK actually told me sometime ago it was 1492 when I spoke to their broadband technical department amazingly they actually had someone there that new their networking really well lol .

Sorted ...MTU value of 1360 started giving an upload but only just .It's set at 1240 now and getting uploads around 50 to 60 so going to leave it at that .
I really can't understand why it's been working fine with Surfsharks standard config file for well over a year then suddenly not working .
Will setting the MTU value to 1240 do anything elsewhere that may cause issues ?

Sorted ...MTU value of 1360 started giving an upload but only just .It's set at 1240 now and getting uploads around 50 to 60 so going to leave it at that .
I really can't understand why it's been working fine with Surfsharks standard config file for well over a year then suddenly not working .
Will setting the MTU value to 1240 do anything elsewhere that may cause issues ?
Well to my knowledge it the actual package size obviously the bigger the the packet size the faster more information it can deliver down at one given time..So ideally you want it at the highest possible figure . Having an mtu size a lot lower without it fragmenting means maybe there is a problem elsewhere that needs attending to perhaps. From my knowledge 1500 is the maximum for LAN connections then theirs PPOE then I think a few others .

Who's your ISP provider???? I think look at the way your WAN connection is setup on the router from your ISP have a good look their try and start from the top and work down .

I think you said you've done a full factory reset of the router...unless their is a add issue with that router it self perhaps?? Also that's kinda rare routers are usually rock solid but you can't ever out rule it .

I can't see it being a VPN issue well can't say never but normally they are pretty reliable and solid .

I use 3 home broadband. Everything ran perfectly up to 3 implemented ipv 6 then it all went pear-shaped.
I'm not the best with sorting it issues but have managed in the end .
I'v put the 3 zyxel back into modem mode and managed to get the most functionality back .Best I have is.
Surf shark wireguard vpn will not start up on the asus .
Firesticks and echodot see the 2.4 and 5ghz wireless from the asus and connect but have no internet .
All 10 other devices connect to the asus wired and on both of the wireless channels and have fast Internet.
The firesticks and ecodot do connect to the 3 zyxel and have Internet.
I'm leaving alone for now .Could it be it's ppoe on the zyxel and there's some configuration around that needs putting in the asus ..

I've just disconnected the Asus from and re set to factory the 3 supplied zyxel .
I've turned off ipv 6 and put it back into passthrough. I connected the Asus back up and it's working as it should .
I've now got all the amazon devices connecting wirelessly through the asus .
To do this I had to manually input all the details into the advanced wifi setup on each amazon device .
Everything is 98% back to how it was now .Even after multiple reboots on both routers .
The only thing that's not working is the wireguard vpn on the Asus is not running .it will not start !

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!