What's new

BACKUPMON BackupMon Failing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrmathis

Occasional Visitor
My install of Backupmon has failed 4 nights in a row, which is new. Manual backup works fine. Previous to this, once in a while, it would fail, manual would work, and the next night, it completes successfully.

Error log (see below) states errors detected creating JFFS tar file (all seem connected to vnstat)

I have an AX-88U Pro, running 3004.388.7, using an SSD in an enclosure for my USB. Also running Diversion, Skynet, VPNMon-R3, RTRMon, etc. All up to date (see 2nd attached image). I did recently download the beta RTRMON script, that's the only change (beyond routine updates of the various scripts)

Not sure what to do next, did uninstall VNSTAT (but kept data/config) and reinstall, since that seems to trigger the error, but no change. I guess my next step is to uninstall it again and give it 24 hours for BACKUPMON to try an automatic backup again....puzzles me that manual backup works, however...

Thanks in advance, I've followed this forum for awhile now, have enjoyed the scripts and added features immensely, and appreciate, in advance, all your assistance

Attachments

• BACKUPMON Error Log.png
    BACKUPMON Error Log.png
    663.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Scripts installed and version.png
    Scripts installed and version.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 34
My install of Backupmon has failed 4 nights in a row, which is new. Manual backup works fine. Previous to this, once in a while, it would fail, manual would work, and the next night, it completes successfully.

Error log (see below) states errors detected creating JFFS tar file (all seem connected to vnstat)

I have an AX-88U Pro, running 3004.388.7, using an SSD in an enclosure for my USB. Also running Diversion, Skynet, VPNMon-R3, RTRMon, etc. All up to date (see 2nd attached image). I did recently download the beta RTRMON script, that's the only change (beyond routine updates of the various scripts)

Not sure what to do next, did uninstall VNSTAT (but kept data/config) and reinstall, since that seems to trigger the error, but no change. I guess my next step is to uninstall it again and give it 24 hours for BACKUPMON to try an automatic backup again....puzzles me that manual backup works, however...

Thanks in advance, I've followed this forum for awhile now, have enjoyed the scripts and added features immensely, and appreciate, in advance, all your assistance
Do you have any of the Trend Micro stuff running (AIProtection, Traffic Analyzer, etc)? If so add *.db to your exclusions file. Another trick is to "touch" an empty file on the server 5 minutes before the backup starts, to wake the drive.

*edit*
You're having so many errors with the backup of your addons I suspect you either have a failing usb drive, or your drive is corrupted. Time for a factory reset/rebuild?
What does the Disk Check say (dcl)? Do you have a linux machine you could use for a more extensive test?

Last edited:
Do you have any of the Trend Micro stuff running (AIProtection, Traffic Analyzer, etc)? If so add *.db to your exclusions file. Another trick is to "touch" an empty file on the server 5 minutes before the backup starts, to wake the drive.

*edit*
You're having so many errors with the backup of your addons I suspect you either have a failing usb drive, or your drive is corrupted. Time for a factory reset/rebuild?
What does the Disk Check say (dcl)? Do you have a linux machine you could use for a more extensive test?
My SSD is only about 6 weeks old, and the errors I see on the error log have been there since day 1 using BackupMon...so maybe a rebuild is in order....

*edit*
My SSD has only been in use for about 6 weeks, and the dcl log says it's clean. I've seen those errors with BACKUPMON since I started using it...so maybe time for a rebuild, yes.....I just rebooted (to check the disk), maybe that will help. Rebuild using a backup, or from scratch (yes, I prefer scratch too, but to keep the internet down that long with my family is, well, problematic)...

Ignore that last post from me. It seems I'm getting errors in the same style:
Code:
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Latency_day_weekly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Upload_hour_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Upload_day_weekly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Upload_raw_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_day_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_raw_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Jitter_raw_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/CompleteResults_WAN.htm: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_day_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Upload_raw_weekly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Latency_day_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_hour_weekly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_hour_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Jitter_raw_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Upload_day_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Latency_raw_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Download_raw_weekly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Latency_raw_daily_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/Latency_day_monthly_VPNC5.tmp: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: ./entware/share/spdmerlin.d/csv/CompleteResults_VPNC4.htm: No such file or directory
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - tar: error exit delayed from previous errors
Jul 14 2024 02:16:22 ripshod BACKUPMON[22769] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating secondary EXT Drive tar file.
Same thing on the 6th and 8th as well.
This doesn't happen with manual backups. Anyone else seeing this?

And there was me thinking I'd fixed my errors. :(

This appears to have started recently (latest update) but I think this is just a timing collision. ie, backupmon is backing up whilst another script is creating and deleting temporary files(?)
@Viktor Jaep your thoughts? Can the backup be done "on-the-fly" rather that creating a filelist first? Is the fact that it's always the secondary backup that fails relevant?

Last edited:
I moved my backup time to earlier in the late evening, rather than just before midnight...and I rebooted, maybe tonight it will run successfully.....

The above failures shouldn't happen to me as my exclusions lists should prevent it
Code:
*.db
*.log
*.tmp
entware/var/log/*

So it ran successfully. I think rebooting did the trick. But who knows......

I've found my problem but I don't yet know how to fix. Primary and Secondary backups both use the same exclusions list, yet the secondary backup seems to ignore it (or at least one line of it).

/jffs/addons/backupmon.d/exclusions.txt
Code:
*.db
*.log
*.tmp
entware/var/log/*

Added: The secondary backup is trying to TAR *.tmp files.
Funny thing is - used es to check the exclusions list and it STILL had "myswap.swp" in it. Haven't used that for ages. In another window I opened the exclusions list manually to edit it and the swap.swp wasn't there. Check the primary with ep and the swapfile isn't listed. Back to es and it's there again. Edited it out in es and it's gone. I'll probably be repeating but both Primary and Secondary are definitely using the same exclusions list, which I normally edit directly with nano.
We'll see if it's fixed this time.
Added a test line in nano, and it showed in both ep and es, removed it and it's gone in both. It's like something got stuck.

You have crazy number of scripts running. Perhaps leave the ones you really need or use?
I usually have just 2 or 3 scripts running at home. The other scripts come into play when I go to look at someone elses broadband. My electronic toolbox.
Yes, some scripts generate tmp files in normal operation, but the exclusions file should not be ignored.
Do you even use BACKUPMON?

The "socket ignored" messages are not actually failures. Those are deliberate as they should not be restored anyway. They are not failures, just info. They are accounted for and won't cause a backup failure.
The only true failures I see here are the spdMerlin and vnstat tmp files, which just shouldn't happen when adding *.tmp to the exclusions file.

Last edited:
For the record... I'm not seeing any of these kinds of failures on my end. ;)

@Viktor Jaep your thoughts? Can the backup be done "on-the-fly" rather that creating a filelist first? Is the fact that it's always the secondary backup that fails relevant?
Backups are currently done "on-the-fly"... the filelist is created as the tar is created. Which is used to verify integrity.

Doesn't make sense that secondaries fail... or not failing when running manual - it uses the same code. Can you tell me what frequency/basic/adv/etc.?

/jffs/adfons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg
Code:
BTUSERNAME="gilly"
BTPASSWORD="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
UNC="\\\\10.0.0.15\\backup"
NFSMOUNTOPT=""
UNCDRIVE="/tmp/mnt/backups"
EXTDRIVE="/tmp/mnt/asus"
EXTLABEL="asus"
BKDIR="/Network/Router"
BACKUPMEDIA="Network"
EXCLUSION="/jffs/addons/backupmon.d/exclusions.txt"
BACKUPSWAP=0
SMBVER="3.02"
SCHEDULE=1
SCHEDULEHRS=2
SCHEDULEMIN=15
SCHEDULEMODE="BackupAutoPurge"
FREQUENCY="P"
MODE="Basic"
PURGE=1
PURGELIMIT=30
AMTMEMAIL=1
AMTMEMAILSUCCESS=1
AMTMEMAILFAILURE=1
SECONDARYSTATUS=1
SECONDARYUSER="gilly"
SECONDARYPWD="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
SECONDARYUNC="\\\\10.0.0.15\\removeable"
SECONDARYNFSMOUNTOPT=""
SECONDARYUNCDRIVE="/tmp/mnt/secondarybackups"
SECONDARYBKDIR="/Router_Backups"
SECONDARYBACKUPMEDIA="Network"
SECONDARYEXCLUSION="/jffs/addons/backupmon.d/exclusions.txt"
SECONDARYFREQUENCY="P"
SECONDARYMODE="Basic"
SECONDARYPURGE=1
SECONDARYPURGELIMIT=30
No error last night, but let's have a few more before I shout "Eureka!"
What gets me is the secondary exclusions list (es) showing 'myswap.swp' when it's the same file as the primary, and the swapfile was removed (using nano directly) ages ago when that option was added to the main settings.
I know you'll say it's impossible for a settings file to get stuck, but that is what I just saw.
pfexclusions.txt contains just "myswap.swp". Is there any way secondary backups are reading both files, or the wrong file, or even not reading my exclusions list at all?

Last edited:
pfexclusions.txt contains just "myswap.swp". Is there any way secondary backups are reading both files, or the wrong file, or even not reading my exclusions list at all?
Let me look into it. Thanks for the further clues!
I know you'll say it's impossible for a settings file to get stuck, but that is what I just saw.
Believe it or not, but something similar happened to me recently with a different file. I ended up deleting the file, and recreating it, and then it started working normally.

Last edited:
Code:
BACKUPSWAP=0

What gets me is the secondary exclusions list (es) showing 'myswap.swp' when it's the same file as the primary, and the swapfile was removed (using nano directly) ages ago when that option was added to the main settings.
I'm wondering why you are manually removing the swap file? You have configured the script to exclude the swap file, so BACKUPSWAP=0. When this is 0, then at multiple checks throughout the script, it may try to add your myswap.swp to your exclusion list automatically if it's not in there.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you are manually removing the swap file? You are have configured the script to exclude the swap file, so BACKUPSWAP=0. When this is 0, then at multiple checks throughout the script, it may try to add your myswap.swp to your exclusion list automatically if it's not in there.
If that were the case surely primary backups would get messed up the same? Would it add to my personal exclusions list or pfexclusions.txt?
EDIT: myswap.swp has indeed been added back to my personal exclusions list by the script, and now appears under both 'es' and 'ep'.

Don't like too many edits so:
To be honest, I think it may be too late for me to investigate further if things are now fixed. I'll save out the old log files and do some digging for dates etc

Last edited:
Out of the blue I encountered an error overnight on an automated (cron job) USB-to-USB backup:

Jul 16 2024 02:02:46 GT-BE98_Pro-7668 BACKUPMON[20884] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating secondary EXT Drive tar file.

Nothing changed as far as I know. Rerunning the same backup command this morning was successful.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!