What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.19 -July 20, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quick emergency fix release due to Github causing mayhem on @Martinski's repos... thanks much to @JimbobJay for reporting this! I just realized that this is probably also going to affect new installs of VPNMON-R3 and TAILMON at this point... bah!

What's new?
v1.8.15 - (July 7, 2024)
- PATCH:
Implemented a workaround to continue providing AMTM email capabilities due to the shared library source being hosted under @Martinski's github repo becoming unavailable. This should only affect new installs, as having existing functionality in place should continue working as normal. Will work with @Martinki to move this back over to his repo when it becomes available again. Thanks to @JimbobJay for bringing this to our attention!

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

:eek:o_O

New version coming your way that reverts the shared email library back under @Martinski's control! He has significantly enhanced this piece to give us some more redundancy should the primary github repository become unavailable again in the future! Thank you!! :) Also... just to let you all know, there have been ZERO changes made to the way the backup engine does its thing, for those dealing with conflicting scripts and other timing events. All good there!

What's new?
v1.8.17 - (July 18, 2024)
- PATCH:
With many thanks to @Martinski, he helped develop a new methodology to build in more redundancy should we ever face another situation like this again, where the shared email library file location becomes unavailable. In this latest mod, he has built in the capability of using three distinct file location URLs that the script will use to find and download the latest version. HUGE THANK YOU for supporting this, @Martinski! :)
- PATCH: Based on some feedback and to reduce confusion, I have renamed "Backup Frequency" to "Backup Retention". Thanks to @visortgw and @ExtremeFiretop for the suggestions. The word "retention" word makes much more sense, since we're talking about what kinds of folders we're leaving behind, and how long they will be around (ie. weekly, monthly, yearly, or perpetual backups each day).

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

While the shared email library script was the much bigger deal, it all performs its magic in the background. The biggest visual change is how "Backup Frequency" has now been renamed to "Backup Retention" throughout the script.
1721353254411.png

ENJOY!

New version coming your way that reverts the shared email library back under @Martinski's control! He has significantly enhanced this piece to give us some more redundancy should the primary github repository become unavailable again in the future! Thank you!! :) Also... just to let you all know, there have been ZERO changes made to the way the backup engine does its thing, for those dealing with conflicting scripts and other timing events. All good there!

What's new?
- PATCH:
With many thanks to @Martinski, he helped develop a new methodology to build in more redundancy should we ever face another situation like this again, where the shared email library file location becomes unavailable. In this latest mod, he has built in the capability of using three distinct file location URLs that the script will use to find and download the latest version. HUGE THANK YOU for supporting this, @Martinski! :)
- PATCH: Based on some feedback and to reduce confusion, I have renamed "Backup Frequency" to "Backup Retention". Thanks to @visortgw and @ExtremeFiretop for the suggestions. The word "retention" word makes much more sense, since we're talking about what kinds of folders we're leaving behind, and how long they will be around (ie. weekly, monthly, yearly, or perpetual backups each day).

Code:

Significant Screenshots:

While the shared email library script was the much bigger deal, it all performs its magic in the background. The biggest visual change is how "Backup Frequency" has now been renamed to "Backup Retention" throughout the script.
View attachment 60275

ENJOY!
Thanks for the update.

Just updated without any issues! I appreciate it.

What's new?
- PATCH:

Code:

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 60275

ENJOY!
For whatever reason, this update replaced my network share (Synology NAS using CIFS/SMB 3.02) username and password with default admin/admin, causing the mount to fail. The secondary username and password were unaffected.

For whatever reason, this update replaced my network share (Synology NAS using CIFS/SMB 3.02) username and password with default admin/admin, causing the mount to fail. The secondary username and password were unaffected.
WOW, that's really strange. If you have a copy of your old config, try restoring that, and running the script again? Does it revert it back to admin/admin?

WOW, that's really strange. If you have a copy of your old config, try restoring that, and running the script again? Does it revert it back to admin/admin?
It is the -backup command line switch that causes the issue, and it is repeatable:
/bin/sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -backup

It is the -backup command line switch that causes the issue, and it is repeatable:
/bin/sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh -backup
Well, if that isn't the strangest thing... why would that surface just now! Seems like something was causing some weirdness writing back to the CFG file. Got to the point where it was no longer writing out the actual variable names, so it was assuming the defaults of admin/admin, but kept appending BT to these variable names. WHAT. WHY. Wasn't doing that before!

Anyways... it's fixed. Please download and overwrite the current version 1.8.17... thanks for catching this!

1721355964181.png

Using force update within amtm/BACKUPMON did not work, but using command line to re-download did the trick. Thanks!

Using force update within amtm/BACKUPMON did not work, but using command line to re-download did the trick. Thanks!
Sometimes it takes a while for github to catch up... but they both work the same exact way... I'm sure in a few more minutes, the force update would do the trick too.

So I think I figured out why this was happening...

Doing something new here, which is call for a shared email library script update as soon as the script starts... that loads this script into memory, and loads all the variables from this script. It uses the variable "USERNAME", which is used for AMTM email functions.

My script was using "USERNAME" as a variable in the past, so that was a big conflict... and when I realized that AMTM was also using it, I changed my ways and started using "BTUSERNAME" and "BTPASSWORD" instead within BACKUPMON.

I have a routine in there to check for older instances of BACKUPMON that might still be using the "USERNAME" variable, and force them to the "BTUSERNAME" standard. In past versions of BACKUPMON, that worked fine because the email library update was being called much later, ie. when an email needed to be sent... so it was already way past this check, and wouldn't cause a conflict.

But now since it's being called on script execution, the "USERNAME" variable is live, and so my script keeps thinking it's an older copy of BACKUPMON, and wants to keep making this change to the "BTUSERNAME" over and over and over.

TL;DR... it's fixed. ;)

Small update to continue to optimize the Shared Email Library functionality as we move into the weekend!

What's new?
v1.8.18 - (July 19, 2024)
- PATCH:
Small change to the way Shared Email Library updates are being handled. On startup, the script will check if AMTM email is enabled before checking for updates, just to prevent this feature from downloading if not being used. Secondarily, when enabling this feature under the config menu, it will download and check for updates before it asks if you want to send a quick test email to ensure AMTM is configured correctly.

Download link (or update directly through AMTM or within BACKUPMON):
Code:

ENJOY!

1721431349633.png

EDIT: Made a few more minor wording tweaks. Update and overwrite the same version if AMTM shows a minor update waiting.

Last edited:
Small update to continue to optimize the Shared Email Library functionality as we move into the weekend!

What's new?
v1.8.18 - (July 19, 2024)
- PATCH:
Small change to the way Shared Email Library updates are being handled. On startup, the script will check if AMTM email is enabled before checking for updates, just to prevent this feature from downloading if not being used. Secondarily, when enabling this feature under the config menu, it will download and check for updates before it asks if you want to send a quick test email to ensure AMTM is configured correctly.

Download link (or update directly through AMTM or within BACKUPMON):
Code:

ENJOY!

View attachment 60283

EDIT: Made a few more minor wording tweaks. Update and overwrite the same version if AMTM shows a minor update waiting.
Error with this version:
Code:
ERROR: Email library script [/jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh] *NOT* FOUND.

WARNING: Errors were detected during last backup on Sat Jul 20 08:30:59 EDT 2024.
 Please review error logs from the setup/configuration menu.
File appears to exist:
Code:
# pwd
/jffs/addons/shared-libs
# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    2 TheS1R   root           248 Jul 20 08:29 .
drwxr-xr-x   16 TheS1R   root          1240 Jul 20 05:20 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 TheS1R   root         12440 Jul 18 21:51 CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh

Last edited:
Error with this version:
Code:
ERROR: Email library script [/jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh] *NOT* FOUND.

WARNING: Errors were detected during last backup on Sat Jul 20 08:30:59 EDT 2024.
 Please review error logs from the setup/configuration menu.
File appears to exist:
Code:
# pwd
/jffs/addons/shared-libs
# ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    2 TheS1R   root           248 Jul 20 08:29 .
drwxr-xr-x   16 TheS1R   root          1240 Jul 20 05:20 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 TheS1R   root         12440 Jul 18 21:51 CustomEMailFunctions.lib.sh
Thanks for the bug report... guess I should turn on success emails so I would have seen this. BAH. Working on it...

Thanks for the bug report... guess I should turn on success emails so I would have seen this. BAH. Working on it...
No such error here.

I get the same error on manual backup as @visortgw

FYI
Yeah, for people that need this functionality to work asap, I'd recommend reverting back to 1.8.15 until @Martinski and I can get this resolved...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/main/archive/backupmon-1.8.15.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Aaaaah, manual backups.
Yep, I see the same error here. But automatic backups - no error.
I'm getting errors no matter what I try... the only time it doesn't error out is when you initially set up email functionality under config option #14, and select Y to send a test email.

Yeah, for people that need this functionality to work asap, I'd recommend reverting back to 1.8.15 until @Martinski and I can get this resolved...

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/main/archive/backupmon-1.8.15.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"
FYI, the backup completes successfully -- it is the email notification that fails.

I'm getting errors no matter what I try... the only time it doesn't error out is when you initially set up email functionality under config option #14, and select Y to send a test email.
I'll schedule for 4:40pm (BST) and report back. But the 2:15am backup ran without a problem.