What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.19 -July 20, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-20-03-22-54-140_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-20-03-22-54-140_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 27
Now things are getting wierd. This time a sceduled backup created the same error. Yet this morning I got the emails?????

Attachments

• Selection_006.png
    Selection_006.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the bug report... guess I should turn on success emails so I would have seen this. BAH. Working on it...
I got the same error message when running a manual backup and when my backup ran overnight no notification was received.

I'm getting errors no matter what I try... the only time it doesn't error out is when you initially set up email functionality under config option #14, and select Y to send a test email.
I went into it again today and did a manual backup and got the error message that email wasn't sent. Then went into email setup and selected send both for success and fail. I then had it send a test email which it did, and I received the email.

I then did another manual backup and it completed no error messages and I received the email.

Maybe the solution is just to setup email notification again and thereafter it will work.

I went into it again today and did a manual backup and got the error message that email wasn't sent. Then went into email setup and selected send both for success and fail. I then had it send a test email which it did, and I received the email.

I then did another manual backup and it completed no error messages and I received the email.

Maybe the solution is just to setup email notification again and thereafter it will work.
That works. Well spotted.

*edit*
Well it worked once. Tested again and I'm back to it failing :(

Last edited:
OK for reals this time... should be fixed and ready to rock! Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone! Let me know if you see successful emails from this point forward. ;)

What's new?
v1.8.19 - (July 20, 2024)
- PATCH:
Bugfix release to help fix missing shared email library error messages that popped up due to the last release. Issue ended up being that the email library update wasn't properly being called and therefore not loading into memory before the backupmon.cfg variables got loaded. Shared Email Library script update is now a function, and is strategically called on when needed to perform email functionality.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Email works again... WHOOOO!
1721514337864.png

Try running it from the setup menu, item (te)... that should give you some better verbose feedback as to why. Have you tried sending a test email from the AMTM email setup itself?

It can, however, also restore you back to a previous state if you decide to completely wipe your router
Hi Viktor, due to issues with my remote system, when I get back there I thought I’d hard reset the router (after installing the latest FW), but keep my USB-SSD which has Entware plus a few scripts and a swap file on it.

Reading the use cases on page 1, am I correct in saying I can (assuming I install Backupmon and make a backup, probably to a 2nd USB-Thumb Drive, first), reset the router and then after I reconfigure all the router settings in the Webgui manually, simply run the restore script and all my Addons and their configs will be restored? i.e. the amtm menu will look exactly as it did before the reset?

I’m guessing I will not need to rename the USB-SSD as even after hard resetting the router it will have retained its name? Nor will I have to wipe it, the dir structure remains the same and the files will simple be overwritten, right? No warnings about overwriting will stop the process?

Tia

Last edited:
Try running it from the setup menu, item (te)... that should give you some better verbose feedback as to why. Have you tried sending a test email from the AMTM email setup itself?
Sometimes the easier solution is the correct one...

I did what you said and the error occurred.

The email function didn't guessed that I've changed my Gmail password today 🥲

Hi Viktor, due to issues with my remote system, when I get back there I thought I’d hard reset the router (after installing the latest FW), but keep my USB-SSD which has Entware plus a few scripts and a swap file on it.

Reading the use cases on page 1, am I correct in saying I can (assuming I install Backupmon and make a backup, probably to a 2nd USB-Thumb Drive, first), reset the router and then after I reconfigure all the router settings in the Webgui manually, simply run the restore script and all my Addons and their configs will be restored? i.e. the amtm menu will look exactly as it did before the reset?

I’m guessing I will not need to rename the USB-SSD as even after hard resetting the router it will have retained its name? Nor will I have to wipe it, the dir structure remains the same and the files will simple be overwritten, right? No warnings about overwriting will stop the process?

Tia
Well, there a couple of things you want to keep in mind...

1. If you're making current backups on the older firmware, but then are going to reset the router and install the newest firmware in the process -- please do not restore older backups from previous firmware onto newer firmware. You may mess up your router.

2. If you're going to first upgrade the firmware, then take some backups using the latest firmware... then reset... then yes, you can restore your backups in that situation.

3. But keep in mind... if things start going flaky with settings in your firmware... or entware... or other things scripts messing stuff up... sometimes it's best to just start from scratch. Doing a full reset, and reinstall everything from scratch. You can refer to your backups, and extract various items if needed, like scripts, or configs if needed, etc... but it's best to just let the script do all the necessary installs.

And yep, in your situation... you can just leave the name of your SSD alone... but I would still format it! :)

OK for reals this time... should be fixed and ready to rock! Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone! Let me know if you see successful emails from this point forward. ;)

What's new?
- PATCH:
Bugfix release to help fix missing shared email library error messages that popped up due to the last release. Issue ended up being that the email library update wasn't properly being called and therefore not loading into memory before the backupmon.cfg variables got loaded. Shared Email Library script update is now a function, and is strategically called on when needed to perform email functionality.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 60309
Confirmed that it fixed email success messages for me!

Well, there a couple of things you want to keep in mind...

1. If you're making current backups on the older firmware, but then are going to reset the router and install the newest firmware in the process -- please do not restore older backups from previous firmware onto newer firmware. You may mess up your router.

2. If you're going to first upgrade the firmware, then take some backups using the latest firmware... then reset... then yes, you can restore your backups in that situation.

3. But keep in mind... if things start going flaky with settings in your firmware... or entware... or other things scripts messing stuff up... sometimes it's best to just start from scratch. Doing a full reset, and reinstall everything from scratch. You can refer to your backups, and extract various items if needed, like scripts, or configs if needed, etc... but it's best to just let the script do all the necessary installs.

And yep, in your situation... you can just leave the name of your SSD alone... but I would still format it! :)
Thanks Viktor, understood on 1, was going to do 2, might consider 3 as I don’t have that many scripts. 👍

What's new?
- PATCH:

Code:

Significant Screenshots:

View attachment 60309
Upgraded to latest version and the first attempt at a manual backup failed.

FAILURE: Error creating EXT USB tar file​

Date/Time: Jul 21 2024 12:26:20
Asus Router Model: RT-AX86S
Firmware/Build Number: 3004.388.7_0
EXT USB Drive Label Name: ScriptSSD_3

FAILURE: BACKUPMON was unable to create/write the EXT USB tar file.
Please check your network environment and configuration.

Sent by the "backupmon.sh" script.
From the "AX86-Main" router.

I then went into setup made no changes but saved anyway.

I then ran two more manual backups and they both completed successfully and sent emails.

Everything appears to be good. Thanks.

Upgraded to latest version and the first attempt at a manual backup failed.

FAILURE: Error creating EXT USB tar file​

Date/Time: Jul 21 2024 12:26:20
Asus Router Model: RT-AX86S
Firmware/Build Number: 3004.388.7_0
EXT USB Drive Label Name: ScriptSSD_3

FAILURE: BACKUPMON was unable to create/write the EXT USB tar file.
Please check your network environment and configuration.

Sent by the "backupmon.sh" script.
From the "AX86-Main" router.

I then went into setup made no changes but saved anyway.

I then ran two more manual backups and they both completed successfully and sent emails.

Everything appears to be good. Thanks.
What did the tar error say in your error log about this one?

What did the tar error say in your error log about this one?
Jul 21 2024 02:16:22 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[10109] - tar: ./entware/tmp/screens/S-TheMan/10085.vpnmon-r3: socket ignored
90 Jul 21 2024 02:16:22 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[10109] - tar: ./entware/var/run/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl: socket ignored
91 Jul 21 2024 02:16:40 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[10109] - **ERROR**: Email library script [/jffs/addons/shared-libs/CustomEMai>
92 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: ./entware/share/dn-vnstat.d/csv/rxmonthly.tmp: No such file or d>
93 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: ./entware/share/dn-vnstat.d/csv/txdaily.tmp: No such file or dir>
94 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: ./entware/share/dn-vnstat.d/csv/txweekly.tmp: No such file or di>
95 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: ./entware/tmp/screens/S-TheMan/10085.vpnmon-r3: socket ignored
96 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: ./entware/var/run/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl: socket ignored
97 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - tar: error exit delayed from previous errors
98 Jul 21 2024 12:26:20 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[9395] - **ERROR**: Errors detected creating EXT Drive tar file.
99 Jul 21 2024 12:28:40 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[18081] - tar: ./entware/tmp/screens/S-TheMan/10085.vpnmon-r3: socket ignored
100 Jul 21 2024 12:28:41 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[18081] - tar: ./entware/var/run/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl: socket ignored
101 Jul 21 2024 12:31:22 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[18081] - tar: ./entware/tmp/screens/S-TheMan/10085.vpnmon-r3: socket ignored
102 Jul 21 2024 12:31:22 RT-AX86S-6D28 BACKUPMON[18081] - tar: ./entware/var/run/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl: socket ignored
This is what was in the error log.

The "socket ignored" messages are just info, and won't cause the backup to fail. The ones of interest here are vnstat's tmp files. You can simply move the backup 5 minutes earlier or later to mitigate this collision.

*edit* You could try adding *.tmp to your exclusions list, but that won't fix it.

Last edited:
The "socket ignored" messages are just info, and won't cause the backup to fail. The ones of interest here are vnstat's tmp files. You can simply move the backup 5 minutes earlier or later to mitigate this collision.

*edit* You could try adding *.tmp to your exclusions list, but that won't fix it.
Could you exclude that "csv" folder, or are there legit files in there in addition to the .tmp files?

Could you exclude that "csv" folder, or are there legit files in there in addition to the .tmp files?
In the exclusions file
Code:
/jffs/addons/dn-vnstat.d/csv/*
The folder will be in the backup but not the contents.
I don't know what other files are there for vnstat (not used), but they should be rebuilt on restoration. csv implies database(s). I think I saw a htm file in there (?)
(early morning, need caffeine)

Last edited:
@Viktor Jaep Can I make a request? The "Socket Ignored" messages are not true errors, so can they be removed from the error log? It would clear up the clutter in the error log, reduce confusion for the uninitiated, and make diagnosis easier for everyone. Could they remain in the normal log, or (worst case) dropped altogether?

@Viktor Jaep Can I make a request? The "Socket Ignored" messages are not true errors, so can they be removed from the error log? It would clear up the clutter in the error log, reduce confusion for the uninitiated, and make diagnosis easier for everyone. Could they remain in the normal log, or (worst case) dropped altogether?
Sounds like a good idea!