What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.19 -July 20, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BACKUPMON saves the day!

A scribe update hosed my the syslog-ng.conf on the 10th, in trying to fix it last night. I reinstalled it, which over wrote the syslog-ng.d and logrotate.d directories back to default. Which fixed scribe, as it rebuilt syslog-ng.conf (now working post 4.7), but it also got rid of my custom filters.

No big deal I thought, I have a back up the config via scribe, but over a year ago unfortunately!

Feeling exhausted after my first day of PT, trying to remember what was in them to rereate them. As my brain finally kicked in and realized I have daily backup!
Opened up the .tar file from the 9th, drilled down to the syslog-ng.d and logrotate.d directories, and there the files were. Extracted the two files, went to sleep, knowing the hard part was over.

This morning, put the files in the appropriate directories on the router, restarted scribe.
Everything working again!

Another BACKUPMON success!

Thanks @Viktor Jaep
Always a good day when the world doesn't come crashing down, right? 😋

I'm facing issue with SMB share that contains blank spaces in its name was unable to get mounted:
Bash:
Test Target UNC Path  : \\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test
Bash:
WARNING: Unable to mount to external network drive. Retrying...

The problem exactly and only in blank spaces, all other shares from same NAS in same network get mounted and perform backup just fine.
Also, i can successfully mount this problematic share with default mount command:
Bash:
mount -t cifs "\\\\192.168.1.33\\NAS Dmitry Test" /tmp/mnt/SHARE -o "username=XXX,password=XXX" -o vers=2.0
About 6 weeks ago, a friend of mine installed the BackupMon script on his router (RT-AX86U_Pro), and a bit later he asked me if I knew about the issue he was seeing when using blank space chars on directory paths. He was aware that I had contributed to the BackupMon script with some pull requests and thought that I was using it on my home router. I told him I actually did not have it installed (I already had a personal custom script to do my backups), but that I would take a look anyway. He also mentioned a minor issue where the script was showing "GT-AX6000" for some default directory paths (e.g. "/router/GT-AX6000-Backup") during the initial configuration while reporting the correct router model (RT-AX86U_Pro) on the menus. This seemed a bit confusing at first, but he had to change the defaults anyway so it was not really a big issue.

Here are some screenshots showing the minor problem (for reference).

BackupMon_v1.8.19_RT-AX86U_PRO_Setup1.jpg

BackupMon_v1.8.19_RT-AX86U_PRO_Setup2.jpg

Long story short, I made changes to a local copy of the script and gave him the modified version to test & verify on his own router using his specific configuration. So far, he has not had any problems with it. Here are some screenshots showing the modified version.

BackupMon_v1.8.20_RT-AX86U_PRO_Setup1.jpg

BackupMon_v1.8.20_RT-AX86U_PRO_Setup2.jpg

Here's a screenshot showing a successful test with directory paths containing blank spaces:

BackupMon_v1.8.20_TEST_RT-AX86U_Pro.jpg

If you want to try this modified version of the script, here are the commands to download it:
Bash:
curl -LSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused \
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Martinski4GitHub/BACKUPMON/develop/backupmon.sh \
-o /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh

If this modified version works well for your case, I can submit a pull request on @Viktor Jaep’s GitHub repo.

Even though I haven't experienced any problems addressed by your mods, I'm testing this version. Because I can.

When I try using a network path with a space, it eliminates the space. I would go with your option 2. Spaces are bad all around. Never use spaces. ;)
FYI, here's a screenshot of the log partially showing the most recent backup with directory paths containing blank spaces. My friend says that the modified script has been doing his daily backups successfully, and he has seen no problems at this point.

BackupMon_v1.8.20_LOG_RT-AX86U_Pro.jpg

If you want I can submit a pull request on your repo, and you could issue a Beta release so the modified version gets more testing & verification.

If this modified version works well for your case, I can submit a pull request on @Viktor Jaep’s GitHub repo.
Wow! Thanks @Martinski!! I'll let it tested and released here soon! You rock!!