What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.8 -June 30, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alrighty... we're back in business. @Wendigogo ... please give beta 2 a shot and let me know if this resolves the features you were looking for when errors occurred:

BACKUPMON v1.7.4 Beta 2:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/develop/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

So @Wendigogo ... if you can duplicate that tar error you were getting, and validate that BACKUPMON is functioning as it should when it comes to displaying error notifications and entries in the error log, then I will close this out and get it out the door... ;)
I planned to do it this evening or tomorrow but I will wait a bit.

Is there something to now before update to Beta version? Will it replace the amtm one?

Is there a way to backup and retore Backupmon? 😇

Last edited:
I planned to do it this evening or tomorrow but I will wait a bit.

Is there something to now before update to Beta version? Will it replace the amtm one?

Is there a way to backup and retore Backupmon? 😇
The BETA will overwrite the one you download from AMTM, but you can restore the original one by just downloading the AMTM one on top of it.

There's not any backup/restore... just overwrite with what you want to run. ;)

BETA 3 is out... did a lot of code optimization, and shaved about 90K off the size of the file... whoo!

BACKUPMON v1.7.4 BETA 3:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/develop/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

BACKUPMON v1.7.2 STABLE:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Last edited:
The BETA will overwrite the one you download from AMTM, but you can restore the original one by just downloading the AMTM one on top of it.

There's not any backup/restore... just overwrite with what you want to run. ;)

BETA 3 is out... did a lot of code optimization, and shaved about 90K off the size of the file... whoo!

I tried this BETA 3 version.
First, I run it with previous configuration and it runs flawlessly. Good job by shoved it!

Second, I couldn't modify my USB flash mount point. I don't know if it's intended or not but once it's correctly defined and there's only one USB drive attached there's no way to modifiy it throught the GUI.
So I have to find the config file location by looking at backupmon script. It was easy-peasy as it's really well written.
And this is how I discovered where were stored logfiles: /jffs/addons/backupmon.d is not the first place I would think about.

Anyway, I altered my USB path and launch a manual backup. As intended it fails but I thought it was longer before error screen disapeared. But I didn't need to press a key to have it removed (double-checked).

I received the email stating my backup failed and the related stage it failed. But it stills lack information Imo. If I could suggest something else, it would be to add the path and name of error log file. It would be of great help for those who will first search for a "log" directory somewhere.
My bad, it's already available from CLI. :cool:

Last edited:
I tried this BETA 3 version.
First, I run it with previous configuration and it runs flawlessly. Good job by shoved it!
Thanks for shoving it! I'm shoving it too! :p

Second, I couldn't modify my USB flash mount point. I don't know if it's intended or not but once it's correctly defined and there's only one USB drive attached there's no way to modifiy it throught the GUI.
You are within some tight guard rails when selecting the USB mount point... it's done using a selector, and can't deviate from it. It's there to help save you from yourself, and prevent frustration down the road... but when you WANT to make it fail, I can understand it might be frustrating that you can't enter incorrect information there either. lol

So I have to find the config file location by looking at backupmon script. It was easy-peasy as it's really well written.
And this is how I discovered where were stored logfiles: /jffs/addons/backupmon.d is not the first place I would think about.
The /jffs/addons area is the default area where all addons should be storing their working files. This is done so that we don't clutter up the /jffs/scripts area, and keep that clean for only the main script files.

Anyway, I altered my USB path and launch a manual backup. As intended it fails but I thought it was longer before error screen disapeared. But I didn't need to press a key to have it removed (double-checked).
Yep, errors are now logged under the (ve) error log, accessible through the setup/configuration menu screen.

I received the email stating my backup failed and the related stage it failed. But it stills lack information Imo. If I could suggest something else, it would be to add the path and name of error log file. It would be of great help for those who will first search for a "log" directory somewhere.
My bad, it's already available from CLI. :cool:
Emails will continue to give you a high-level description of what happened, and would prefer to keep it that way... it gets messy when dealing with potentially large swaths of raw stderr logs, and jamming this all into an email. I think this stuff is better suited viewable from the error log when you dive in to do more investigating.

Thanks so much for testing this! I truly appreciate it! :)

Just ran a manual backup ran perfect, didn't try and force a fault or anything just standard routine backup... but looked at log everything looks good. The log file doesn't show the "soft error" messages that do show on screen for skipping sockets on the USB drive backup but that's probably fine?

Just ran a manual backup ran perfect, didn't try and force a fault or anything just standard routine backup... but looked at log everything looks good. The log file doesn't show the "soft error" messages that do show on screen for skipping sockets on the USB drive backup but that's probably fine?
Those soft errors should be viewable under the error log... they are for me anyways?

1717940257478.png

OK I"m a dumbass (wife will confirm). :rolleyes:
I just realized I didn't load the dev/beta version.

When I did BTW I got 1.8.4
Ran again.

Backup completed fine, but, this time no socket errors appeared on-screen...
However - YEP. In "ve" I see the socket errors. Looks good!

Ran again.

Typo, I assume? It should be 1.7.4b3.

Lol... all good, you're forgiven... this ONE time. :p

Ran again.
You caught me getting prepped for a release party! You'll be up-to-date once it goes live...

Whoo! Thanks for confirming! 👍👍

Typo, I assume? It should be 1.7.4b3.
One would think, but I just renamed it to the full release of 1.8.4. You guys are too quick... ;)

This one turned into a pretty big release, with the new functionality being added in relation to how errors are communicated back on screen after backups run, or when looking at the setup/configuration menu. Also the addition of piping all errors to its own dedicated error log should really help narrow things down when trying to troubleshoot issues. Many thanks to both @vibroverbus and @Wendigogo for the suggestions and testing that went into this. Also, some pruning in the code has shaved 90K / 1100 lines of code, making it much more efficient on the backend. ;)

What's new?!
v1.8.4 - (June 9, 2024)
- MINOR:
Long overdue for a major code overhaul, trimming inefficient repetitive code, and created versatile functions out of them. This shaved over 90K off the size of the file by eliminating over 1100 lines of code. BACKUPMON is now leaner, meaner, and more efficient! ;)
- PATCH: Some logging additions being made based on feedback from @vibroverbus and @Wendigogo. Now, BACKUPMON will redirect any stderr error-specific messages into a separate "error log". This log is viewable from the setup/configuration menu using the command "(ve)". It will basically dump any tar-related warnings or any other errors into this log, in addition to the error messages that BACKUPMON generates.
- PATCH: Should any sort of error occur, you will get visual feedback in various locations: (1) When manually running a backup job from the menu, it will display the warning that an error occurred and will ask for a keypress to continue. (2) When automatedly running, it will include a warning at the end of the job to let you know something occurred. (3) When opening BACKUPMON to the setup/configuration menu, it will display that an error occurred during the last backup, and to take a look at the error log.
- PATCH: Added tar file creation and validation routines to the "Test Your Network Backup Target" option under the setup/configuration menu. Thought these would be good to add to determine if tar is functional in your environment or backup target.
- PATCH: Determined that importing status/errors from tar or nvram commands were no longer working due to the number of pipes being appended to these commands in order to divert errors into the new error log. Implemented a workaround to continue to flag major networking or tar errors that would cause script execution and flag it as a failed backup.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

When running an automated backup (or scheduled backup), or using the various commands, like: "sh /jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh", or just "backupmon", or "sh backupmon.sh -backup" ... a message appears at the end of the backup to inform you that an error happened:

1717695763637.png

When running a manual (bk) backup from the setup/config menu, it will prompt for a key-press after displaying the warning that an error happened:

1717695822933.png

If you didn't happen to catch an error, or do not have AMTM email setup to have it send emails to you when errors happen, a visual warning appears next time you open the setup/configuration menu:

1717696102398.png

The error log will show all relevant stderr errors that are captured through TAR or other means. BACKUPMON will also insert its own errors here as well to paint a complete picture of the events. Here's a small sampling of stuff that was failing when I was testing out getting it to fail so it would write these errors... ;)

1717943375919.png

Do I need to enable SNB/CIFS 1.0 for this to work? Is NFS safer? Can anyone provide me instructions on how you got your network share to work on Windows 10 and what you would recommend?

Do I need to enable SNB/CIFS 1.0 for this to work? Is NFS safer? Can anyone provide me instructions on how you got your network share to work on Windows 10 and what you would recommend?

Are you asking how to create a network share on Windows 10?
Or how to configure the router?

You don't need to enable SMB 1.0 to create a network share as found on my Windows 11 device.

1717946329123.png

You should however configure the router to use the latest protocol supported, in my case thats 3.02

1717946407003.png

Last edited:
SMB v1 is being deprecated quickly across the board because it's no longer a secure protocol. Stick with v2 or above. Most equipment uses v2/v3 out of the gate.

SMB v1 is being deprecated quickly across the board because it's no longer a secure protocol. Stick with v2 or above. Most equipment uses v2/v3 out of the gate.
I keep getting a unable to mount external drive location \tmp\mtn\backups. I shared a folder out of my G drive called RouterBackups so it's set \\\\192.168.1.9\\RouterBackups as the UNC path do I need to change the target backup mount point if so would it be the same?

It seems it's able to ping it. Its also using my windows username and password as login.

I keep getting a unable to mount external drive location \tmp\mtn\backups. I shared a folder out of my G drive called RouterBackups so it's set \\\\192.168.1.9\\RouterBackups as the UNC path do I need to change the target backup mount point if so would it be the same?

It seems it's able to ping it. Its also using my windows username and password as login.
Try running these settings through the "test your network backup target" under the setup/config menu and share the output? /tmp/mnt slashes are the other direction. Need to see more... that tool could help?

Last edited:
BTW... when creating a Windows share... you can add the "Everyone" group to the share name... give it read/write access. Then it doesn't need a password. Or you can just use "admin / admin" in that case. But please know... that's the "I'm going to leave the door unlocked and wide-open" insecure approach of doing things, but if you don't have curious users on your network on a mission to destroy your backups in unsecured backup folders like this, it's a good start... then start experimenting with locking things down with usernames/passwords after you get this working.

Please be sure to share a screenshot your configuration screen or /jffs/addons/backupmon.d/backupmon.cfg file, to make sure everything looks right... happy to help! :)

Last edited: