What's new

TAILMON TAILMON v1.0.19 -June 19, 2024- WireGuard-based Tailscale Installer, Configurator and Monitor (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I actually would like to find a solution of a three routers access problem I had with VPN access(OpenVPN client and PPTP client). And i read about Tailmon and not sure if this will help me. (Asus AC87U router does not have wireguard, but TP Link AX55 has wireguard server)

Here is my situaion: I have three routers in my home network, TP Link AX 55 connected to cable modem and internet with an USB drive 1, TP Link AX23 connected as a mesh node of TP Link AX 55, Asus AC87U lan port to lan port connected to TP Link AX 55 and disabled NAT DHCP DNS etc. Asus AC87U attached an USB Drive 2

I have TP link enabled with pptp and openvpn server. When I am on home network (either on wifi or wire of TP Link or Asus), I can access Asus USB drive and AX 55 usb drive. But when I am outside the network, I used VPN (either PPTP and OpenVPN client) back to TP Link, I cannot access Asus USB drive but can access TP Link AX 55 USB drive) Is there a way to config the routers to make it work. I researched a lot about this, some say using port forwarding and lan route, but I have no luck with any of these. Please advise, thanks in advance.

I have three routers in my home network, TP Link AX 55 connected to cable modem and internet with an USB drive 1, TP Link AX23 connected as a mesh node of TP Link AX 55, Asus AC87U
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Given your routers are a combination of ASUS and non-ASUS Routers I think your question might find more results in the Other LAN and WAN forum maybe @Viktor Jaep or a moderator can move it there.

As regards TAILMON, it needs to be on an ASUS Router supported by ASUS Merlin. Your ASUS AC87U Router was previously supported, but is no longer. The last Merlin FW was 384.13_10. If it runs amtm then I believe TAILMON could still be installed on it.

I am not familiar enough with networks to answer your question directly, but I am not sure if putting TAILMON on the ASUS, (which appears to just be acting as an AP?) is really a solution for you. I believe you don’t really need Tailscale on all devices on your network as long as you can access your LAN from outside and as you are using OpenVPN to connect to the TPLink, you seem to be able to do this. Tailscale and OpenVPN are different VPNs in any case.

If your only issue is that you cannot access the USB on the ASUS externally (but OK internally if I understand it correctly), it may be that it is a Shares or Permissions issue? If it is in AP mode you will not be able to access a USB attached to the AP according to this thread.

Maybe have a look at these links below, there’s some suggestions under OpenVPN you access it by it’s IP address not by the share name.

Sorry I cannot be more help, it’s not really an issue I know anything about. I’m pretty sure you don’t need TAILMON to fix your issue.

HTH

Last edited: