What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.8.14 -July 4, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As Viktor posted earlier

Did you get the failure email?
Yes, I did:
Code:
FAILURE: Unable to mount network drive

Date/Time: Jul 02 2024 08:25:00
Asus Router Model: GT-BE98_Pro
Firmware/Build Number: 3006.102.1_0
EXT USB Drive Label Name: TheS1RsUSB

FAILURE: BACKUPMON was unable to mount the primary network drive.
Please check your network environment and configuration.
My point is that primary and secondary backups are independent in this case — while the primary fails, the secondary would succeed if attempted.

Yes, I did:
Code:
FAILURE: Unable to mount network drive

Date/Time: Jul 02 2024 08:25:00

FAILURE: BACKUPMON was unable to mount the primary network drive.
Please check your network environment and configuration.
My point is that primary and secondary backups are independent in this case — while the primary fails, the secondary would succeed if attempted.
I'll look into seeing what it might take. Another reason I'm having it quit completely is for the sake of MerlinAU, and don't want to send a false positive that a backup completed successfully when it really didn't before a firmware upgrade happens.

I'll look into seeing what it might take. Another reason I'm having it quit completely is for the sake of MerlinAU, and don't want to send a false positive that a backup completed successfully when it really didn't before a firmware upgrade happens.
What about possibly adding option to swap primary and secondary in settings?

Or, a flag "-secondary" to attempt backup to secondary destination only?

Couple of new changes added to this release based on feedback by @visortgw and @vibroverbus! Enjoy! Hope you can squeeze a few secondary backups in yet before you return to your failed primary backup target, @visortgw! :) Don't say I never tried to help you out! LOL

What's new?
v1.8.10 - (July 2, 2024)
- PATCH:
Based on a good suggestion by @visortgw, a secondary-only backup option was added. This was prompted when possible issues could arise where you might be unable to back up to your primary backup target, upon which BACKUPMON would exit in an error state by default. Now, a "-secondary" switch has been added that simply runs a secondary backup (without any purges). Example usage: "backupmon -secondary". As always, you can hit "backupmon -h" or "backupmon -help" for a full list of commands.
- PATCH: @vibroverbus made a good observation on some inconsistencies in the y/n prompts within the script compared to other scripts such as AMTM. It seems the function I'm using would automatically accept the y or n keypress and keep running without needing to hit enter. This function has now been changed so you can you change your mind after typing y or n, and lets you correct yourself before needing to manually hit the enter key now.

Download link (or update directly within AMTM/BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:

As shown below, the "-secondary" switch has been added that only performs a secondary backup
1719971430729.png

Running only the -secondary switch performs as expected below!
1719971526858.png

Couple of new changes added to this release based on feedback by @visortgw and @vibroverbus! Enjoy! Hope you can squeeze a few secondary backups in yet before you return to your failed primary backup target, @visortgw! :) Don't say I never tried to help you out! LOL

What's new?
v1.8.10 - (July 2, 2024)
- PATCH:
Based on a good suggestion by @visortgw, a secondary-only backup option was added. This was prompted when possible issues could arise where you might be unable to back up to your primary backup target, upon which BACKUPMON would exit in an error state by default. Now, a "-secondary" switch has been added that simply runs a secondary backup (without any purges). Example usage: "backupmon -secondary". As always, you can hit "backupmon -h" or "backupmon -help" for a full list of commands.
- PATCH: @vibroverbus made a good observation on some inconsistencies in the y/n prompts within the script compared to other scripts such as AMTM. It seems the function I'm using would automatically accept the y or n keypress and keep running without needing to hit enter. This function has now been changed so you can you change your mind after typing y or n, and lets you correct yourself before needing to manually hit the enter key now.

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:

As shown below, the "-secondary" switch has been added that only performs a secondary backup
View attachment 59946

Running only the -secondary switch performs as expected below!
View attachment 59947
Thank you once again, @Viktor Jaep!
Code:
SUCCESS: Secondary Backup completed successfully

Date/Time: Jul 02 2024 22:13:32

SUCCESS: BACKUPMON completed a successful secondary backup to destination: Network

I would like to consider a couple of enhancements AS YOU ALWAYS HELP ME OUT!:
  1. Allow the -secondary flag even when secondary backups are configured, but disabled. My thought is that I would like to manually set up two (2) separate cron jobs to execute primary and secondary backups independently.
  2. Clear the previous backup error warning once a secondary backup completes successfully. Currently, I continue to get the warning that my backup from this morning had errors, even after a new secondary backup succeeds.

Thank you once again, @Viktor Jaep!
Code:
SUCCESS: Secondary Backup completed successfully

Date/Time: Jul 02 2024 22:13:32

SUCCESS: BACKUPMON completed a successful secondary backup to destination: Network

I would like to consider a couple of enhancements AS YOU ALWAYS HELP ME OUT!:
  1. Allow the -secondary flag even when secondary backups are configured, but disabled. My thought is that I would like to manually set up two (2) separate cron jobs to execute primary and secondary backups independently.
  2. Clear the previous backup error warning once a secondary backup completes successfully. Currently, I continue to get the warning that my backup from this morning had errors, even after a new secondary backup succeeds.
Great suggestions! I'll get working on these... 😉

I noticed that when adding a Secondary Backup, the email confirmation for it erroneously reports the Backup Destination as the same as the Primary (SUCCESS: BACKUPMON completed a successful secondary backup to destination: Network) even though it is different.

My Secondary Backup is backing up to itself (USB -> USB), whereas the primary is indeed a Network backup to a remote SMB share.

I noticed that when adding a Secondary Backup, the email confirmation for it erroneously reports the Backup Destination as the same as the Primary (SUCCESS: BACKUPMON completed a successful secondary backup to destination: Network) even though it is different.

My Secondary Backup is backing up to itself (USB -> USB), whereas the primary is indeed a Network backup to a remote SMB share.
I don't believe that USB backing up to itself is allowed (nor advised!). You need a second USB device for backing up USB to USB.

I don't believe that USB backing up to itself is allowed (nor advised!). You need a second USB device for backing up USB to USB.
It comes with warnings, and the backup folder is added to the exclusion list so it isn't backing up the backups, but it is indeed allowed. I do it.

If you just want a quick and easy backup of your router's settings, I personally don't see what the big deal is with having it backing up itself to the router's usb. But especially no big deal if you just use it as your secondary backup in case the remote network location goes down (which is probably more likely to happen than the router's attached usb ssd getting corrupted, imho).

You are absolutely correct @JimbobJay! ... I have already fixed this in the next upcoming release. Thank you for noticing this! :)

Happy Independence Day (for those in the US!). New release to go along with some fireworks, hotdogs and beer... because backups and alcohol make a great combination! Continued enhancements of the -secondary switch thanks to @visortgw, and bug report from @JimbobJay! Enjoy!

What's new!
v1.8.14 - (July 4, 2024)
- PATCH:
Continuing with the enhancements of the -secondary switch, suggestion from @visortgw was to be able to force a secondary backup (using the -secondary switch), even if the secondary backup is marked as disabled in the config menu.
- PATCH: Running a -secondary switch backup apparently did not delete the error flag and would continue showing the error warning in the setup menu and on screen. When running a -secondary switch-based backup will now remove the error flag so you start with a clean slate next time. Also thanks to @visortgw for this suggestion!
- PATCH: Nice catch by @JimbobJay, when a secondary backup successfully completed, it was referencing the incorrect backup media (in the email ie. network/usb), and was using the primary media type. This has now also been fixed. Thank you!
- PATCH: General cleanup and spacing logic added for the error flag message on the setup menu that now takes into consideration the different timezone name lengths so that spacing looks correct.

Code:

Last edited:
Happy Independence Day (for those in the US!). New release to go along with some fireworks, hotdogs and beer... because backups and alcohol make a great combination! Continued enhancements of the -secondary switch thanks to @visortgw, and bug report from @JimbobJay! Enjoy!

What's new!
v1.8.14 - (July 4, 2024)
- PATCH:
Continuing with the enhancements of the -secondary switch, suggestion from @visortgw was to be able to force a secondary backup (using the -secondary switch), even if the secondary backup is marked as disabled in the config menu.
- PATCH: Running a -secondary switch backup apparently did not delete the error flag and would continue showing the error warning in the setup menu and on screen. When running a -secondary switch-based backup will now remove the error flag so you start with a clean slate next time. Also thanks to @visortgw for this suggestion!
- PATCH: Nice catch by @JimbobJay, when a secondary backup successfully completed, it was referencing the incorrect backup media (in the email ie. network/usb), and was using the primary media type. This has now also been fixed. Thank you!
- PATCH: General cleanup and spacing logic added for the error flag message on the setup menu that now takes into consideration the different timezone name lengths so that spacing looks correct.

Code:
Works like a champ, @Viktor Jaep! I love your interactive, responsive development style!

I now have three (3) separate BACKUPMON cron jobs enabled at 5 minute intervals with primary network, secondary (remote) network, and USB destinations.

Last edited:
Works like a champ, @Viktor Jaep! I love your interactive, responsive development style!

I now have three (3) separate BACKUPMON cron jobs enabled at 5 minute intervals with primary network, secondary (remote) network, and USB destinations.
Absolutely! Happy to help. For power users like you, you could go even crazier by having multiple BACKUPMON.cfg files that all point to different destinations, and swap them back and forth with cron. ;)