What's new

Best value wireless AC AP / Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ult.nrg

New Around Here
After a good value wireless AC AP (or router) to upgrade my existing N network.

Doesn't have to have any features other than being a reliable, fast / good range AP as it will only be used as a dumb wireless AP (all routing functions done elsewhere)

Of course want to spend as least as possible but at the same time will spend extra if it's worth it.

For example, the netgear EX6200 can be had for $130, but then the TP-Link C7 is $150....not sure what the better wireless product is, but the netgear is AC1200 and TPLink is AC1750; so it would seem obvious that the extra $20 is worth spending.

Devices which are connecting wirelessly are:
Laptop with Intel 7260 AC (800Mb)
Two nexus 5's (AC)
Three other smartphones (N)
Two tablets (N)

House is double brick

Any suggestions welcomed :)
Thanks

I needed WiFi for smart phones and iPad. So speed not an issue - just 10Mbps or so net.

So the ASUS RT-N12 has been fine as an AP.
No reboots needed.

$35 or so.

How is reception in 5 GHz with your N router? If it's bad, AC isn't going to be better.

I needed WiFi for smart phones and iPad. So speed not an issue - just 10Mbps or so net.

So the ASUS RT-N12 has been fine as an AP.
No reboots needed.

$35 or so.

Internet speed is 100Mbit (usually see around 30 on the phones and 110 on GigE). Also do file transfers to the laptop which doesn't have ethernet. :(

How is reception in 5 GHz with your N router? If it's bad, AC isn't going to be better.

Currently only using 2.4GHz as the router isn't simultaneous dual band, but have selected 5GHz to test and reception is good enough but the speed isn't that great.

Thanks for the replies!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!