What's new

Bond the whole 2.4 GHz band!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, you know what you're getting. Whatever apple wants you to have. ;)

I can handle that, it's a trade-off for a quality user experience. I mean, it's not like Microsoft, Google, and all the OEMs don't have the same goal, just wrapped in an inferior package. :D

I haven't once in 3 years wished my iPad had a USB port, I have absolutely no need.

Significantly increase the user experience? Stop using the tablet! :)

Built in obsolescence (it's not the $3-$5 savings - it's the $400-$800 they hope to make on you sooner).

Disclaimer: a computer without a physical keyboard and some kind of mouse isn't a worth turning on to use it.

Yes, you know what you're getting. Whatever apple wants you to have. ;)

Well, that is 3/4ths of the reason why the tablet I got HAS a keyboard and touch pad (and can have a mouse added). Asus T100 2-in-1. Sure, I use it as a tablet 90% of the time, but the other 10% is it darned nice to have a physically dockable keyboard and touchpad.

But that said, these days when it comes to computing, if you IGNORE my desktop at work, I probably spend 50% of my time using my tablet as a tablet, about 5% of my time using my tablet as a netbook/laptop, about 20% of my time on my phone, 20% of my time on my desktop at home and 5% of my time on my actual laptop at home.

Of all of those, my laptop is probably the most "discardable" of the devices, not that I wouldn't want a full fledged laptop still.

70% of my "computer use" is just moseying around webpages and checking/responding to emails. Probably 15% is watching movies/shows. That leaves maybe 15% that is playing video games, network maintenance, word processing, etc.

Again, ignoring the work I do at work, which is balanced about 20% email, 20% word processing/spreadsheets and 50% business applications and about 10% tooling around the internet (either work related or non-work related. We do have things called breaks and lunches here). Which is very much a desktop, or maybe a laptop thing.

My personal time is heavily biased towards what a tablet is very good at. Which is web browsing and watching TV/movies.

So a laptop or desktop would significantly decrease my user experience. Laptop <<<comfortable than tablet laying on the couch or laying in bed. Desktop...well, let's not even get in to how fun that is to try to do laying in bed :)

I haven't once in 3 years wished my iPad had a USB port, I have absolutely no need.

Has no port but USB cable. I never tried to use it tho except charging. Never bothered me with not having USB port.

Someone needs to make a tablet with a Desktop CPU, and GPU. Imagine if you could get a tablet with a core i7 4790K (overclocked), as well as 2 GTX 970's in SLI (overclocked to 1.5GHz each).

You could get the convenience of the tablet form factor while in bed, but the performance of a desktop. On top of that, the tablet will keep you warm.

From a networking standpoint, where are the tablets and addon WiFi adapters with 4 stream 802.11ac?

With higher performance NAND, and network attached storage devices becoming common for most homes in the country, 4 stream WiFi can be of benefit; tablets and laptops need it the most.

Someone needs to make a tablet with a Desktop CPU, and GPU. Imagine if you could get a tablet with a core i7 4790K (overclocked), as well as 2 GTX 970's in SLI (overclocked to 1.5GHz each).

You could get the convenience of the tablet form factor while in bed, but the performance of a desktop. On top of that, the tablet will keep you warm.
And keep the battery vendors going.

And keep the battery vendors going.

And purpose of tablet is different from that of desktop or laptop. Like tools we use every day.

From a networking standpoint, where are the tablets and addon WiFi adapters with 4 stream 802.11ac?

With higher performance NAND, and network attached storage devices becoming common for most homes in the country, 4 stream WiFi can be of benefit; tablets and laptops need it the most.

I hope satire, but, uh, it would never work.

For 4 stream, you'd have a hard time fitting that in to a tablet body. As it is, dual stream is difficult to find the space for antennas on there. I doubt you'll ever see more than dual stream in a tablet and triple stream in a laptop.

Simple, make the tablet larger. e.g., a 17 inch tablet will offer more screen space while also allowing for more space for components. I currently use a 10 inch and often, I find it to be too small, especially when I want to watch video in one window, and use another to surf the web.
Other than that, I wonder, if it will not work out too well to simply use the entire 2.4GHz band, then why can't they allow both bands to be used at the same time? and then just have the device do some load balancing, kinda like how dual WAN routers will allow you to use 2 different ISP's, even if they are at different speeds, then just scale it up, e.g., for AC3200, have the device load balance between the 3 bands, but with a heavy network load with multiple connections being made, they will eventually spread out over all available bands.

Razor512, while your posts are amusing, they will never be implemented. 17" tablet? Who wants such a monstrosity (in high enough numbers for a manufacturer to mass produce at reasonable prices)?

4 stream / 4 antennae handhelds? They may become feasible if or when the power consumption is tamed, but in the foreseeable future? I don't see it.

The things you hope and wish for would have been implemented if it was possible for more than a single user in a given geographical area. But physics dictates otherwise.

Connecting to multiple bands simultaneously is also a far fetched idea. The issues we face now simply going (or trying to go) to MU-MIMO has already stretched close to the 2 year range. Designing and building hardware and drivers to aggregate 2 or 3 connections at once, reliably and dependably, is something that is simply not needed by todays devices no matter what the workload.

It is great to dream, but dreaming alone doesn't make reality happen. The obstacles are real and today, immutable.

Simple, make the tablet larger. e.g., a 17 inch tablet will offer more screen space while also allowing for more space for components. I currently use a 10 inch and often, I find it to be too small, especially when I want to watch video in one window, and use another to surf the web.
Other than that, I wonder, if it will not work out too well to simply use the entire 2.4GHz band, then why can't they allow both bands to be used at the same time? and then just have the device do some load balancing, kinda like how dual WAN routers will allow you to use 2 different ISP's, even if they are at different speeds, then just scale it up, e.g., for AC3200, have the device load balance between the 3 bands, but with a heavy network load with multiple connections being made, they will eventually spread out over all available bands.

Rather we need some thing like submarines do when they come up to surface to TX data? Submerged it can only
use LW long range slow speed comm. Just read about it how many bits they burst out in a few seconds.

The FCC does not prohibit using all the unlicensed spectrum, 2.4, 5.4, 5.8, others. All at once.
But FCC part 15 does have a general caveat that one shall not cause intentional interference, etc. In the spirit of SPECTRUM SHARING IN UNLICENSED.

You could use frequency-hopping within the bands, to minimize the utilization of any one channel, but you'd get no throughput benefit.

We're lucky to have unlicensed bands at all. We shouldn't be piggy.

It is beyond imprudent to you yourself to use the entire band. Geeze.
Laws for our highways are more strict due to risk of bodily harm and impeding the flow of commerce.

Ignoring that, base stations right now are not really setup to carry the same traffic on both bands, even though most can use both bands at the same time.

The same reason why handhelds don't use more than 1 or 2 streams is the same reason they aren't concurrent dual band. Power and space. Concurrent dual band means twice as many radios that you have to fit in to the device, it means double the power consumption if operating both radios at the same time and it means twice as many traces to the antennas at the same time.

As for tablets...there is a reason why there are only a handful of 12-13" tablets, mostly enterprise focused. A tablet is GENERALLY, used as a handheld or lap device. A 17" tablet would probably be around 3lbs at minimum, if not a fair amount more. Especially you are talking cramming a high power draw processor and discrete GPU in it. You'd need a 60-70whr battery so that your run times weren't terrible, active cooling, etc. You'd probably end up with a 17-25mm thick bad boy weighing 4-5lbs, maybe even 6-7lbs. You couldn't use that as a handheld, other than both hands at the same time.

Wholely impractical.

The reason why larger bonding isn't done is component cost (something that can handle 60MHz costs more than 40MHz), congestion, practical speed increases, lack of demand and probably some others. 3/4 stream radios in handhelds aren't done because of space, cost and power consumption reasons.

ironically the only phone I have that has 2 streams has my best battery life. I always thought the reasons they mostly one stream is simply to save money, as well as planned obsolescence.

e.g. the ps4 has a single stream 2.4ghz wifi, that doesnt need it for space and power reasons. It likely was done for cost reasons and also I expect there will be a future ps4 with 5ghz AC support.