What's new

Bridge recommendations...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dan2112

New Around Here
I have a RT-AC66U running the latest Merlin build and have been very happy with it.

I have a dinning room that has been converted into a HomeTheater and has no coax or ethernet ports. I have a TiVo and would like to put a TiVo Mini in the theater but I need a stable wireless connection that is capable of HD Streaming. The AC66U is upstairs and the theater is downstairs (about 25 ft away).

I was considering replacing the AC66U with a newer Asus and use the AC66U as a Media Bridge, but I have read there are limitations with the AC66U in Media Bridge mode.

We have the standard wireless devices in the house, phones, tablets and laptops and we have a lot of neighboring networks.

Can somebody please recommend a router and bridge setup that is stable and can keep a HD stream happy from one TiVo to another?

I am open to purchasing two new devices if needed (router and a bridge).

Thanks,
Dan

I have a RT-AC66U running the latest Merlin build and have been very happy with it.

I have a dinning room that has been converted into a HomeTheater and has no coax or ethernet ports. I have a TiVo and would like to put a TiVo Mini in the theater but I need a stable wireless connection that is capable of HD Streaming. The AC66U is upstairs and the theater is downstairs (about 25 ft away).

I was considering replacing the AC66U with a newer Asus and use the AC66U as a Media Bridge, but I have read there are limitations with the AC66U in Media Bridge mode.

We have the standard wireless devices in the house, phones, tablets and laptops and we have a lot of neighboring networks.

Can somebody please recommend a router and bridge setup that is stable and can keep a HD stream happy from one TiVo to another?

I am open to purchasing two new devices if needed (router and a bridge).

Thanks,
Dan

Don't use the second RT-AC66U as a "Media Bridge"...use the second AC66U in "Repeater" mode. This is exactly what I do, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. You'll have all the benefits of using the LAN ports on the Repeater (thus getting the functionality of a bridge), and will also be able to extend your wireless network wirelessly by using the repeater's 2.4 and 5ghz radios as well (something you cannot do in "Media Bridge" mode). And as you note, there have been many problems reported with the Media Bridge, whereas the "Repeater" mode works flawlessly. I've been using it for the past 8 or 9 months and it works great.

I have a very similar set up: An AC66U set as a wireless router located in an upstairs study where my home office stuff is located (e.g., HP printer/scanner/fax, desktop running dual boot Win8.1/Win7, and three NAS boxes (two FreeNAS and one Windows Server). Downstairs, in our den where all of our AV equipment is located, I have another AC66U set up as a "repeater".

The repeater is set to pick up the 5ghz from the router; all four LAN ports on the repeater will essentially give GigE connection speeds to whatever devices are connected to it, and given the solid strength of the 5ghz channel from the router, I get great speeds and throughput to anything that is connected via the GigE ports on the repeater.

The repeater also is capable of rebroadcasting and extending the network on its own 2.4 and 5ghz channels (I use different SSID's for the upstairs and downstairs units so I know what my devices are connecting to), and there's very little speed degredation when using the wireless as well.

To the repeater's LAN ports, I've connected an HTPC, a Blu-Ray player, an HD-DVD (yes it's defunct, but so what), and an 8-port GigE switch, to which I have connected a number of other devices.

This set up works flawlessly, and I can stream Blu-ray ISO's from my NAS's connected to the router and watch them in any room of the house, including on the the HTPC connected to the repeater (which runs through a Denon AV receiver for audio and which also reprocesses the HDMI video from the HTPC's GTX750 EVGA graphics card...so I get an impeccable picture when streaming).

Again, the 66U's working in tandem are terrific.

We also have a Slingbox and some other stuff located in a different bedroom downstairs, and since I couldn't justify buying a third 66U just for the Slingbox (which I don't watch but which is used by my two sons, one of whom lives in Toronto but travels all over the U.S.--he's on the coaching staff of an NBA team-- and our other one who is in medical school in Israel...and we're in Los Angeles so that's where the Slingbox is located), I bought a WDMyBridge, which is an AC1300 device...a true "bridge" that communicates with the router exclusively on the 5ghz band using 802.11ac, and which has 4 GigE LAN ports. The WD was very inexpensive, about $50 on Amazon (probably because WD has discontinued it). But it works well and I've had no complaints from my kids regarding accessing the Slingbox

Last edited:
Don't use the second RT-AC66U as a "Media Bridge"...use the second AC66U in "Repeater" mode. This is exactly what I do, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. You'll have all the benefits of using the LAN ports on the Repeater (thus getting the functionality of a bridge), and will also be able to extend your wireless network wirelessly by using the repeater's 2.4 and 5ghz radios as well (something you cannot do in "Media Bridge" mode). And as you note, there have been many problems reported with the Media Bridge, whereas the "Repeater" mode works flawlessly. I've been using it for the past 8 or 9 months and it works great.

I have a very similar set up: An AC66U set as a wireless router located in an upstairs study where my home office stuff is located (e.g., HP printer/scanner/fax, desktop running dual boot Win8.1/Win7, and three NAS boxes (two FreeNAS and one Windows Server). Downstairs, in our den where all of our AV equipment is located, I have another AC66U set up as a "repeater".

The repeater is set to pick up the 5ghz from the router; all four LAN ports on the router will essentially give GigE connection speeds to whatever devices are connected to it, and given the solid strength of the 5ghz channel from the router, I get great speeds and throughput to anything that is connected via the GigE ports.

The repeater also is capable of rebroadcasting and extending the network on its own 2.4 and 5ghz channels (I use different SSID's for the upstairs and downstairs units so I know what my devices are connecting to), and there's very little speed degredation when using the wireless as well.

To the repeater's LAN ports, I've connected an HTPC, a Blu-Ray player, an HD-DVD (yes it's defunct, but so what), and an 8-port GigE switch, to which I have connected a number of other devices.

This set up works flawlessly, and I can stream Blu-ray ISO's from my NAS's connected to the router and watch them in any room of the house, including on the the HTPC connected to the repeater (which runs through a Denon AV receiver for audio and which also reprocesses the HDMI video from the HTPC's GTX750 EVGA graphics card...so I get an impeccable picture when streaming).

Again, the 66U's working in tandem are terrific.

We also have a Slingbox and some other stuff located in a different bedroom downstairs, and since I couldn't justify buying a third 66U just for the Slingbox (which I don't watch but which is used by my two sons, one of whom lives in Toronto but travels all over the U.S.--he's on the coaching staff of an NBA team-- and our other one who is in medical school in Israel...and we're in Los Angeles so that's where the Slingbox is located), I bought a WDMyBridge, which is an AC1300 device...a true "bridge" that communicates with the router exclusively on the 5ghz band using 802.11ac, and which has 4 GigE LAN ports. The WD was very inexpensive, about $50 on Amazon (probably because WD has discontinued it). But it works well and I've had no complaints from my kids regarding accessing the Slingbox

Wow! Thank you for so much useful information.
I had narrowed it down to the another ASUS or the (discontinued) WD bridge. We do have a hard drive attached the AC66U and the only reason to upgrade is to get a USB3 port for the backup disk.

Do you know if the newer ASUS RT-AC68P behaves similarly with the AC66U?

- Dan

If you only want to put one device on the network for a wireless connection consider the TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router. I use one to connect a slingbox wirelessly into my home network. It's been connected for nearly a year with no problems. The cost is under $20.

The travel router has several modes, including one that takes a wired device and allows it to become a wireless one. I also use another one for a travel router.

If you only want to put one device on the network for a wireless connection consider the TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router. I use one to connect a slingbox wirelessly into my home network. It's been connected for nearly a year with no problems. The cost is under $20.

The travel router has several modes, including one that takes a wired device and allows it to become a wireless one. I also use another one for a travel router.

Thank you - I didn't know about this device.

Update: I am going to try this first before trying a new ASUS router. Will update in a few days after I receive it....

Last edited:
BTW, the reason I didn't suggest something like the TP Travel Router (or other devices like it) is that it's only an 802.11n device and if you use it on your 5ghz channel, you can essentially forget about 80mhz channel width or 802.11ac speeds, at least as long as it's connecting to the same band as any other ac devices you may have (smartphones, laptops, desktops, etc.). You should appreciate that mixing 802.11n and 802.11ac devices on the same 5ghz frequencies will defeat the purpose of having 802.11ac altogether, and everything will only run at 802.11n speeds.

This is why I specifically used the WD My AC Bridge to connect our Slingbox. Even though the slingbox only has a Fast 100 Ethernet connector (and thus isn't capable of utilizing a full 802.11ac connection), the GigE port on the back of the WD, combined with the fact that it's getting a full 802.11ac 1200 connection from the router (856 Mpbs connection speed), means that (a) it's going to provide pretty great performance, and (b) I'm also not messing up my 5ghz channel on my router.

In other words, I've made a point of running whatever can use 802.11ac as the only wireless clients on he 5ghz frequencies; everything else (any 802.11n or g devices) is either using 2.4ghz to connect wirelessly, or is wired to a LAN port or a switch.

I just thought you'd like some additional info to consider.

Last edited:
BR-6208ac is $35 dollars or so

I have a dinning room that has been converted into a HomeTheater and has no coax or ethernet ports. I have a TiVo and would like to put a TiVo Mini in the theater but I need a stable wireless connection that is capable of HD Streaming. Can somebody please recommend a router and bridge setup that is stable and can keep a HD stream happy from one TiVo to another?
You can't get much better these days than using an AC66u as a bridge. But a $35 dollar-ish EdiMax BR-6208ac will work fine IF ONE HUNDRED MEGABIT ETHERNET PORTS ARE OK. Also do not expect the $35 dollar Edimax to have quite the fringe-range of the mighty Asus stuff.

You can use the EdiMax as your main router, as an access point connected to the main router either wired or wirelessly, as an Ethernet bridge, etc. Can verify that it works essentially as advertised with Asus AC66u and AC68u routers.

Thank you for the information. We already have a plethora of wireless devices connecting on the 5GHz on the 802n network and don't have any AC clients yet.

I suppose I could force 2.4GHz by changing the ssid on the 5GHz radio on the AC66U and move to an AC bridge if this doesn't work. The TP-LINK is arriving today so I should know tonight if it works.

Lots of good info here - thanks a lot guys.

Dan

Well I received the TP-LINK last night and gave it a try. My observations over a three hour period were:

* 2.4GHz connection which is bad in my neighborhood.
* Could only sustain a 20/30 Mbit/sec connection
* Had 3 video drops and video drop on a TiVo mini equals error message and kicks you out to the main menu to start the movie again (resume).
* Fairly long recovery time after disconnect.

On the plus side it "mostly" worked. Not sure I am going to keep it in this configuration. I am leaning toward a more robust wireless solution or using a 60GHz (line of site) wireless HDMI from the TiVo in another room.

* 2.4GHz connection which is bad in my neighborhood.
* Could only sustain a 20/30 Mbit/sec connection
* Had 3 video drops and video drop on a TiVo mini equals error message and kicks you out to the main menu to start the movie again (resume).
* Fairly long recovery time after disconnect.

Sorry to hear it. Mine has been 100% reliable. I need about 4Mb for a 1080i slingbox connection, according to the slingbox stats. Don't know why you need more for Tivo. Try playing around little more. I also have a 5GHz ac level bridge (R6300V2 using DD-WRT) for another media set-up on my home network in a different room so I understand quite well what the others are suggesting. There's nothing magic about expensive Asus routers as a bridge.

Streaming video (other than Netflix) is usually disappointing if done over WiFi.

If the problem is not weak signal, but rather, a neighbor who streams a lot on WiFi, then choose a different channel 1,6,11.

If the problem is that while watching video, someone else in the home on the same WiFi access device is hogging too much bandwidth/capacity, then just cut off his arms. :p

Streaming video (other than Netflix) is usually disappointing if done over WiFi.

If the problem is not weak signal, but rather, a neighbor who streams a lot on WiFi, then choose a different channel 1,6,11.

If the problem is that while watching video, someone else in the home on the same WiFi access device is hogging too much bandwidth/capacity, then just cut off his arms. :p

Very true about 2.4GHz and media players. Mine has been just fine. Perhaps the main router is using a channel in high demand in the local neighborhood. I may just be lucky, although Amazon reviews gives the travel router high marks and I concur. Also, I think the slingbox buffers a little just as a precaution. I bet Netflix does the same. This is why wireless is more reliable with netflix?

My points to the original poster (Dan2112) follow:

Re 5GHz wireless bridges: my current one is my 3rd one. A refurb Netgear WNDR3400V1 with DD-WRT ($37) was my first 5GHz and it was also 100% reliable. I retired it after about 2 years when I replaced my main router and moved the former main router (Asus RT-N56U with Padavan firmware) into bridge duties. It also worked flawlessly as a 5GHz bridge. Then the refurb Netgear AC1450 / upgrade to R6300V2 (about $70) opportunity arose and I went for it. The R6300V2 using DD-WRT is my current 5GHz bridge.

A little know how allows you to often avoid paying a lot of money for things that may or may not work. Getting infatuated with someone else's ideas (including those from me) is a good way to flush money down the toilet. Spending a lot or following the crowd is not always a guaranteed solution. Spend some time on Google and research wireless bridges.

30 to 40 Mbps actual throughput is fairly common for all 2.4 GHz wireless routers, although some techniques can increase that with effort and luck..

A 2nd generation powerline adapter did slingbox duties before the travel router was purchased. It worked, but often needed a reset (unplug / plug in).

Finally, nearly anything you buy for your home network for any purpose will be a dice throw. Save the receipt and always buy from someplace that takes returns.

Last edited:
I stand by my original recommendation of using two AC66's, one in router, the other a repeater. I have had nothing but great experiences with this set up. It just works.

Don't use the second RT-AC66U as a "Media Bridge"...use the second AC66U in "Repeater" mode. This is exactly what I do, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. You'll have all the benefits of using the LAN ports on the Repeater (thus getting the functionality of a bridge), and will also be able to extend your wireless network wirelessly by using the repeater's 2.4 and 5ghz radios as well (something you cannot do in "Media Bridge" mode).

How do you merge the 2.4 and 5ghz together to get the 900Mbps speeds?

How do you merge the 2.4 and 5ghz together to get the 900Mbps speeds?

I don't even understand where that question is coming from...As Stevech said, they aren't "merged," if by "merged' you mean connecting a single device to both the 2.4 and 5ghz radios simultaneously. I don't think that is possible.

I don't even understand where that question is coming from...As Stevech said, they aren't "merged," if by "merged' you mean connecting a single device to both the 2.4 and 5ghz radios simultaneously. I don't think that is possible.

It could be done, but generally isn't - deploying the feature into consumer space would be a severe hit on support resources...

I would suggest you look into powerline adapters. I've found them to be quick and painless and can approach full 100Mbps ethernet speeds (Netgear 500 nano units). I'm not sure if that's enough bandwidth, but it's definitely more than 20-30Mbps.

You can generally stream a 1080P blu ray over 100Mb/s but only if the source does the compression a bit like how internet TV or streams work. If you want to stream multiple things at a time powerline adapters may not be sufficient. usb2 blu ray drives just barely make the bandwidth and thats with 480Mb/s although thats dealing with the raw data.

Upgrading to a new wireless AP wont help because 5 Ghz wireless AC loses bandwidth fast the further it goes but if you place the AP in the same room it does work well. It might be better to connect both wireless APs using 2.4 Ghz wireless N and use 5 Ghz on the bridged AP to serve wireless clients but it is still better to connect them using ethernet. Do a survey around the house to see the best places to place an AP and if you really need 2 and to find the best channels to use.

You can combine 2.4 and 5Ghz together but only by using 2 routers as bridges and if both routers were designed for it. It might be possible with mikrotik but i would check on the demo to see if that option to bond 2 wireless interfaces together is possible.

Last edited: