What's new

Building a Dual Band Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deppeler

New Around Here
I have a G wireless network at home.
I have a G router and G wireless access point.
I am buying a piece of equipment (media player) that supports wireless N.

My question:
If I was to buy an N wireless router, could I connect the G access point to the N router and run 2 bands, one for the media player 5GHz and the other 2.4GHz for the G laptops/iPhone in the house?
Dual Band routers are very expensive and I thought this would possibly do the same thing....

thanks

Sure. You don't even need to use a 5 GHz band router. You can run two networks in 2.4 GHz. Just set one to use Channel 1,6 or 11 and the other to use a different of these three channels. Set each router to a different SSID (network name).

And the media player will connect to your current router just fine. N is backward compatible with G. I'd just try it out with your current router before buying anything else.

Sure. You don't even need to use a 5 GHz band router. You can run two networks in 2.4 GHz. Just set one to use Channel 1,6 or 11 and the other to use a different of these three channels. Set each router to a different SSID (network name).

And the media player will connect to your current router just fine. N is backward compatible with G. I'd just try it out with your current router before buying anything else.

Hey, thanks for the info.
If I did that and each set of devices had their own router I was thinking that the bandwidth would be increased for the media player and it would run at N speed (N router), the laptops etc would be running at G speed (G Access Point), does that make sense??

Also, would having them both running on 2.4GHz create interference for the other?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the info.
If I did that and each set of devices had their own router I was thinking that the bandwidth would be increased for the media player and it would run at N speed (N router), the laptops etc would be running at G speed (G Access Point), does that make sense??
You need an N router to get increased speed from an N device, yes.

Also, would having them both running on 2.4GHz create interference for the other?
Not if they are on different channels as I specified in the previous post.

The 5 GHz band will have fewer users and so less competition for bandwidth. But it has shorter range.

You need an N router to get increased speed from an N device, yes.

Not if they are on different channels as I specified in the previous post.

The 5 GHz band will have fewer users and so less competition for bandwidth. But it has shorter range.

Ok thanks again, I think I will just with a mid-priced N router (around up to $80), and use my G AP, do you have any suggestions for a good N router?

My suggestion is to stick with brand names and buy locally from a store with good return policies.