What's new

Building my home network not exactly the wireless approach!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QXZ9027MKII

New Around Here
Hi

I hope everyone in the forum are doing fine,

Sorry that i posted this here, its only because this part of the forum is active.

Intro:

I have a 3 story house built with reinforced concrete, i would like to cover the whole house in a home network not wirelessly but by a combination of both,

Infrastructure:

The house is fitted with Ethernet wires with a socket in every room plus the hallways and kitchen, the wires are labeled with category 6

My current gear:

I have a modem which is fitted by my ISP i don't have any info on that modem except its model which is (Echolife HG 851a) and it has a fiber optic input and 4 Ethernet outputs plus 4 telephone outputs, and the modem is from a company named Huawei, to that modem i have a router wish is also provided by my ISP which is an Aztech HW550-3G.

Aztech HW550-3G Brief specs:

- 4 Ethernet outputs of 10/100.
- Mixed b/g/n, Mixed b/g, g alone or b alone.
- bandwidth 20MHz or 20/40 Mixed.
- there is nothing as 5 ghz in the option in the GUI.

3 Laptops:

Acer 3810T Vista SP2

Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel(r) WiFi Link 5100 AGN Draft-N

Acer 5820TG Win 7 64

Atheros AR 8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter

Acer 4830TG Win 7 64

Unboxed this one will be in the Office

I usually sit in room 1 for the rest of the day which has my TV set and PS3. and from this room i do my Internet surfing, for now my laptop and PS3 are connected wirelessly to the router.

Background:

Before one week exactly i didn't now anything about Home Networking in general, and for the past week I've been reading this site like at least 12hrs a day, now after a week i can confidently enter a Computer store and choose what i need and specially know what to say to the salesman so he can back-off quietly. Plus wireless isn't the way to go atleast these days.

My requirements:

I want to have a home network setup covering the whole house by wire of course and some access points in some rooms for wireless networking for me and any visiting guests or friends, and of course since i know about it now i want to do some streaming media from my office to room 1 or the bedroom plus adding a NAS to the network,

for backup and streaming Through my PS3, i really don't play online and the only game i play is gran turismo 5 and hopefully Ace Combat if i bought it

My Approach:

I was thinking of having a gigabit router with out wireless capability to act as the connection between my home network and the Internet but couldn't find one and then add some access points in the rooms that i need wireless in them so here is what I'm going to do:

- linksys E3200 gigabit router between my network and the Internet since the Aztech isn't a Gigabit router
- Aztech as an access point in the hall upstairs to cover the rooms.
- a Gigabit switch in the office for my laptop and a NAS

well that's about it for the time being,

I would like some suggestion on the layout and if I'm doing it right or not.

the attached images shows my 1st floor, 2nd floor and the communication box i have which is highlighted as a blue box in the first floor image.

Attachments

• My House 1st FL.jpg
    My House 1st FL.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 199
  • My House 2nd FL.jpg
    My House 2nd FL.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 473
  • Comunication Box.jpg
    Comunication Box.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
You need to change your router only if it can't handle the up/down speed provided by your ISP.

For Gigabit, just connect a Gigabit switch to the current router output and connect all your Gigabit gear to it.

Given your home's concrete construction, you may need more than one access point. Set them to different channels (1, 6, 11). You can use either the same SSID for all, or different ones if you want to control which AP your clients connect to.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!