What's new

Buying a 10GB Pcie Ethernet Card

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
I wanted to get the ASUS 1XG-C100C because I'm trying to stick to Asus much as possible my decision anyway why should I care about Marvell firmware tell me the pros about this

Or if the ASUS 1XG-C100C truly sucks as someone mentioned here on another post should I just get this
tp-link tx401 chipset: aqc107

I wanted to get the ASUS 1XG-C100C because I'm trying to stick to Asus much as possible my decision anyway why should I care about Marvell firmware tell me the pros about this

Or if the ASUS 1XG-C100C truly sucks as someone mentioned here on another post should I just get this
tp-link tx401 chipset: aqc107
Honestly, if it is within your budget, buy an Intel, X550 or X710. No worries, no trouble and just works with basically everything else. Plug it in and never look back. Don't stick with brands, look at chipset.

I have 2 X550-T2 in my network and they work with even with the most picky OS'es such as FreeBSD. You can find them on ebay for about 100 USD.

Last edited:
Someone said Asus one sucks because it doesn't support something called Marvell firmware why should I care about that???
So you clearly have no idea what you're buying to start with then, just that it says Asus on the heatsink...

The card in questions has an Aquantia, AQC107 network chip on it. Aquantia was acquired by Marvell a few years ago.
As such, being able to install driver and firmware updates from the source, aka Marvell, might be a handy thing, especially if Asus drops support at some point in time. However, Asus has locked their cards, preventing the installation of an original firmware from Marvell and potentially also drivers from Marvell.

That said, the most recent firmware was released in 2021, so there's highly unlikely that there will be any major firmware changes for the AQC107.

I would personally either get the cheapest AQC107 card out there, as long as your system has at least a spare PCIe 3.0 x2/x4 slot.
However, the AQC107 is kind of old by now and a bit power hungry, so you might want to consider a card based on the more recent AQC113 instead. The AQC113 is supposed to be available in PCIe 4.0 x1, but all the cards appear to be PCIe something x4. The AQC113 uses about half as much power as the AQC107.

It really doesn't matter much who the manufacturer is, as most of these cards are all using the reference design anyhow. Just get one with as big heatsink as possible, as they do get a bit toasty.

This is currently the cheapest AQC113 on Amazon in the US.

Last edited:
Honestly, if it is within your budget, buy an Intel, X550 or X710. No worries, no trouble and just works with basically everything else. Plug it in and never look back. Don't stick with brands, look at chipset.

I have 2 X550-T2 in my network and they work with even with the most picky OS'es such as FreeBSD. You can find them on ebay for about 100 USD.
Sorry, but can you show us what the issues with the Aquantia cards are?
I've been running mine since 2017 without any issues whatsoever, apart from a Ryzen platform compatibility issue when the platform was brand new and the Aquantia engineers released a firmware update within a couple of weeks of contacting them that solved that problem.

Yes, there aren't any FreeBSD drivers, but then again, loads of things don't work with FreeBSD.
There's native support in Linux and Windows these days for the AQC107 and Marvell is still supporting the chips and is releasing new drivers for both Windows and Linux as needed.

So you clearly have no idea what you're buying to start with then, just that it says Asus on the heatsink...

The card in questions has an Aquantia, AQC107 network chip on it. Aquantia was acquired by Marvell a few years ago.
As such, being able to install driver and firmware updates from the source, aka Marvell, might be a handy thing, especially if Asus drops support at some point in time. However, Asus has locked their cards, preventing the installation of an original firmware from Marvell and potentially also drivers from Marvell.

I would personally either get the cheapest AQC107 card out there, as long as your system has at least a spare PCIe 3.0 x2/x4 slot.
However, the AQC107 is kind of old by now and a bit power hungry, so you might want to consider a card based on the more recent AQC113 instead. The AQC113 is supposed to be available in PCIe 4.0 x1, but all the cards appear to be PCIe something x4. The AQC113 uses about half as much power as the AQC107.

It really doesn't matter much who the manufacturer is, as most of these cards are all using the reference design anyhow. Just get one with as big heatsink as possible, as they do get a bit toasty.

This is currently the cheapest AQC113 on Amazon in the US.
If only you had written me earlier,
I already got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D71PVXG?tag=snbforums-20,
I was going to return it cause my motherboard doesn't have exact PCI slot for it I learned that PCI cards are universal

Attachments

• IMG20240901171901.jpg
    IMG20240901171901.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 8
If only you had written me earlier,
I already got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D71PVXG?tag=snbforums-20,
I was going to return it cause my motherboard doesn't have exact PCI slot for it I learned that PCI cards are universal
No idea what motherboard you have, but that long slot, appears to be a x4 slot electrically, so the card should work in there.
Also, there's nothing really wrong with the TP-Link cards, I actually bought a pair of those that were heavily discounted myself, to have as a backup, since my cards (original Aquantia cards) are getting a bit old and might need replacement at some point in the future.

Sorry, but can you show us what the issues with the Aquantia cards are?
I've been running mine since 2017 without any issues whatsoever, apart from a Ryzen platform compatibility issue when the platform was brand new and the Aquantia engineers released a firmware update within a couple of weeks of contacting them that solved that problem.

Yes, there aren't any FreeBSD drivers, but then again, loads of things don't work with FreeBSD.
There's native support in Linux and Windows these days for the AQC107 and Marvell is still supporting the chips and is releasing new drivers for both Windows and Linux as needed.
Sorry, but where in my post do i write that there issues with Aquantia cards? I am just recommending Intel NIC's for a hassle free operation. I do not know anything about the Marvell chipset. I only know that of all NIC's i have had, the ones that never gave me any issue were Intel chipset.

Sorry, but where in my post do i write that there issues with Aquantia cards? I am just recommending Intel NIC's for a hassle free operation. I do not know anything about the Marvell chipset. I only know that of all NIC's i have had, the ones that never gave me any issue were Intel chipset.
The OP was asking why he should or shouldn't buy the Asus card in question, a question you clearly couldn't answer, so you provided unsolicited advice instead. You clearly either are biased, or must've come across issues with Aquantia/Marvell products, or you wouldn't claim that only Intel products are hassle free. But now you claim to have never used the products, but clearly they're still inferior somehow, so please let us know how.

I guess you've not used any of Intel's 2.5 Gbps chips then, as they're garbage and people are having nothing but issues with them.

The OP was asking why he should or shouldn't buy the Asus card in question, a question you clearly couldn't answer, so you provided unsolicited advice instead. You clearly either are biased, or must've come across issues with Aquantia/Marvell products, or you wouldn't claim that only Intel products are hassle free. But now you claim to have never used the products, but clearly they're still inferior somehow, so please let us know how.

I guess you've not used any of Intel's 2.5 Gbps chips then, as they're garbage and people are having nothing but issues with them.

Seems a bit like an overreaction to a simple post, don't you think?

Seems a bit like an overreaction to a simple post, don't you think?
No, as this is what keeps happening here every time someone asks a specific question, in comes someone like you with unsolicited advice.

And you still haven't answered my question.

No, as this is what keeps happening here every time someone asks a specific question, in comes someone like you with unsolicited advice.

And you still haven't answered my question.
"somebody like me"...you are truly lost <EOM>

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!