What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi everyone..Okay a bit of an update from me 🙂..

I've been playing around with CakeQos for a few days now .I've been trying to nail it down to the T to try and get CakeQos to work were I can squeeze the highest amount of throughput/bandwidth and still try to maintain a "A+" score from Waveform .

Yes it's a little time consuming but like others here it's a balancing act and hopefully it will pay off .For me it's about Streaming mostly. I only have a few devices connected to my Asus RT-AX86U Pro router so that's were my efforts will be based on .

So my main device is a Nvidia Shield Pro 4K 2019 running Kodi Omega Diggz Community build with RD so lots of 4K HDR10 & DV content with streams around 45-55 GB which even on my connection works pretty darn well as I've setup the router to work as optimal as possible .
I also have a Apple 2022 4K TV 128GB device and my Mobile Oppo Find X5 Pro which is AX compatible. Router is on Channal 100 now 80Mhz (UK) .

So cakeQos for me really is all about getting that so called "bufferfloat" to a real minimum and get what bandwidth/throughput to work as efficiently as physically possible .

As previously stated I have a EE UK 80/20 FTTC connection in which I do get a very rock solid consistent 74mps DL and 18.5mps UL consistent connection.

So I played around with it several times and used Waveform website and seemed to get a decent solid consistency with results ...

So if Thier is anything else I need to do or should be doing or have done incorrectly please do tell me !

I've attached pictures showing the significant amount of improvement gained..So now I get 64-65mps but the trade off is that 65mps is a really well optimized ! .

The previous picture was based on CakeQos set to " Automatic" then I switched it off and ran waveform and it came up with the same results.

Very Happy Days and thank you community! 🤓☝️👌.

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_143108.jpg
    IMG_20240728_143108.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2024-07-31-13-22-33-45_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-31-13-22-33-45_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG20240731131403.jpg
    IMG20240731131403.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2024-07-31-13-12-30-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-31-13-12-30-62_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_2024-07-30-17-24-22-22_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-30-17-24-22-22_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi there,

I think you have got it nailed...

To improve from what you got, would probably require a more powerful router with an intel processor (openwrt, pfsense, etc) or similar, like a mini pc:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005...so7jRvQl&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

I am getting on the mini pc, just to experiment and see where i can get more with less...Thats a journey with no end :)...

The other way is just to increase your internet speed to 500/500 or more and then you don't need to worry about bufferbloat anymore :)

Hi there,

I think you have got it nailed...

To improve from what you got, would probably require a more powerful router with an intel processor (openwrt, pfsense, etc) or similar, like a mini pc:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005004360072281.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.17.40e1AGl8AGl8Fv&algo_pvid=081cc199-cfdb-4168-831e-581ba9461acc&algo_exp_id=081cc199-cfdb-4168-831e-581ba9461acc-8&pdp_npi=4@dis!AOA!165062.13!95733.06!!!188.73!109.46!@211b6a7a17224491059244795ef722!12000038877096702!sea!AO!827795145!X&curPageLogUid=3EiCso7jRvQl&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

I am getting on the mini pc, just to experiment and see where i can get more with less...Thats a journey with no end :)...

The other way is just to increase your internet speed to 500/500 or more and then you don't need to worry about bufferbloat anymore :)
Hi Yeah ...It's all fun and games 😜☝️ and a big leaning curve.

To be honest sadly for now I have no access to full FTTP I'm in a part of West London were some of the roads have Virgin Media then some parts have access to BT FTTP ..

Community Fibre were supposed to be at all around the London and Greater London areas by 2024 still waiting lol 🤣 🤣🤣. It's bloody ridiculous and frustrating so far behind and this is London Ahhh 😡😡.

As far as routers go this Asus RT-AX86U Pro I only purchased 5 months ago and its by far miles the finest router I've ever owned coming from Netgear & TP-Link and it's also the most expensive at £250 !!! So it has to last me for as many years as possible.

To be honest it's probably kinda overkill for the devices I have and the amount of devices I use in my large Studio flat but I purchased it as an investment and to last me some years to come until WiFi 7 becomes alot more commercial and more device's have WiFi 7 adapters built in and WiFi 7 router's come down to real world price's.

To be honest this router 86U Pro has some incredible specs and power it's seriously beats anything I've owned before and to be able to have MerlinWRT just makes it such a unique product and experience it's seriously awesome.

At the end of the day it's all about making the upmost of what I have now and getting the hardware to work as efficiently as physically possible with what bandwidth I have .

For what I need and use in my flat to be honest the bandwidth I have is more than enough to run everything and all my 4K streams ..

Even if I had larger bandwidth 150mps DL I would probably not even use more than approx 60% of it anyhow but still would be nice to have it .🤓😎.

Good luck 🤞 🙏 with the Mini PC side! Yeah be great to read your results and experimentation with it all I hope you will post some of it all for the community to read and just see how much of an increase you may get 👀🤔.

I'm not sure if I'm meant to make a new thread but I'll sure find out shortly which I welcome, how else am I going to learn right?

I'm using a RT-AX58U attached to a HG612 2B VDSL Modem with a DL speed of roughly 74mbps and a UL of 18mbp from BT within the UK.

I've checked around and but my inexperience is showing and help would be appreciated.

Thank you! :)

I'm not sure if I'm meant to make a new thread but I'll sure find out shortly which I welcome, how else am I going to learn right?

I'm using a RT-AX58U attached to a HG612 2B VDSL Modem with a DL speed of roughly 74mbps and a UL of 18mbp from BT within the UK.

I've checked around and but my inexperience is showing and help would be appreciated.

Thank you! :)
What are you asking specifically?

What are you asking specifically?
Sorry, I've written this rather quickly. I'm trying to reduce my bufferbloat as much as possible and I've did a test and I've ended up with a B rating I can't post any images at the moment but pointers would be ideal

Thanks

Sorry, I've written this rather quickly. I'm trying to reduce my bufferbloat as much as possible and I've did a test and I've ended up with a B rating I can't post any images at the moment but pointers would be ideal

Thanks
Make sure you don't use the automatic setting under bandwidth setting. What speeds are you currently inputting under UL/DL? I would recommend you start low at 75/80% of your actual speeds and adjust as need it.

I read about 90% but I'll drop it to 80%; what about the rest?

I've noticed a was following settings which was a modem router combination so I assume what I've done previously is possibly incorrect and something about adding +4 due to "VLAN tagging" but I'm completely confused 🤔

Edit: I haven't dropped to 80% yet and thank you for your assistance so far, appreciate it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803-173536.png
    Screenshot_20240803-173536.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 64
Yeah I've read that but don't believe it's made any difference off or on sadly.

I'm getting an A rating every 1/5 times roughly but usually falls to a B rating this isn't the image I got an A but it's the Download part where I can go from 29ms to all the way to 41ms and whatever I do I can't fix that with Bandwidth tuning anyway 😕

Hoping someone can shine a light on what I'm missing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804-111702.png
    Screenshot_20240804-111702.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 64
Hi Guys , I've got Cake all installed and setup I've got the latest MerlinWRT Firmware and Asus RT-AX86U Pro router would their he any benefit what so ever if I run the extra scrip as mentioned on GitHub.

Hi Guys , I've got Cake all installed and setup I've got the latest MerlinWRT Firmware and Asus RT-AX86U Pro router would their he any benefit what so ever if I run the extra scrip as mentioned on GitHub.
No, unless you want to start fiddling with more of CAKE’s options. Otherwise, just enjoy the default settings for CAKE. There’s nothing extra you’re missing out on, just a GUI-based way to tinker.

No, unless you want to start fiddling with more of CAKE’s options. Otherwise, just enjoy the default settings for CAKE. There’s nothing extra you’re missing out on, just a GUI-based way to tinker.
Hi Perfect ☝️...I was hoping that would be the case . From what I understand from everyone here is ..it's designed to work correctly as it is with no additional Addons/scripts which is fantastic as with extra Addons/scripts your running more on the router it self and obviously uses more system resources which is something I want to keep to an absolute minimum as to keep the router working as efficiently as physically possible.

No I definitely don't need to start messing about or tinkering just for the sake of having it their pointless as it been designed and physically embedded within the MerlinWRT Firmware to run without anything else.

Cool 😎 👍...

One of the other members above mentioned that I should have had it set to VDSL2 -Bridge PPPOE which I felt can't be correct as my 86u Pro is connected in tandem to my previous TP-LINK VR2600 as a dumb DSL model and that is set as bridge mode which is correct Disabled WiFi & DHCP ....

So I've got it set as VDSL2 PPPOE PTM not ATM as that's the older VDSL protocol ??? .

One of the other members above mentioned that I should have had it set to VDSL2 -Bridge PPPOE which I felt can't be correct as my 86u Pro is connected in tandem to my previous TP-LINK VR2600 as a dumb DSL model and that is set as bridge mode which is correct Disabled WiFi & DHCP ....
In terms of latency and bloat, it's always better to overestimate overhead and underestimate bandwidth. Or if you aren't sure about overhead, compensate with slightly lower bandwidth.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!