What's new

Can existing wireless router work with commercial access points?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jrallen81

New Around Here
Hi all,

What a cool site, so glad for the support y'all provide.

I have a nighthawk 1900 AC router, but am moving to a new home with two floors. If I want to use ubiquiti APs, can I use my existing router's wireless functionality? Or do I have to turn it off and potentially buy a second access point?

thank you!

Both the nighthawk and ubiquiti have a WiFi signal that conforms to IEEE 802.11 standards.
So yes, you can use both concurrently. Suggest put each on a different channel, and in 2.4GHz this means channels 1, 6 or 11, e.g., one on channel 1, one on channel 11.

You can use the same WPA key for both.
You can optionally give each one an SSID whose name implies location in the house, so users can manually choose as if often the case.

Hi all,

What a cool site, so glad for the support y'all provide.

I have a nighthawk 1900 AC router, but am moving to a new home with two floors. If I want to use ubiquiti APs, can I use my existing router's wireless functionality? Or do I have to turn it off and potentially buy a second access point?

thank you!

You can do whatever you want - but if you're investing in a couple of dedicated AP's, I'd recommend to use the Nighthawk as a router and turn off the wireless...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!