What's new

Can you suggest a wireless access point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

woodysgamertag

New Around Here
I run my internet based small business from home with a USG50 at the center of it. Lately our d-link wireless router has been dropping connections while the wired nodes around the house have been fine.

In my dreams I have AP's plugged into upstairs and downstairs switches so the coverage is strong everywhere. I don't need any kind of management, I don't want the APs handing out IP addresses, etc. I just want trouble free wireless access points.

Can you suggest something for small business/heavy home use?

Netgear WNDR4500
Apple Airport Extreme

Some may also recommend the Asus N66U.

One of the things I like about the Airport Extreme is that Apple seems to have written robust firmware. Range is not as good as the Netgear or Asus, but it is a reliable consumer AP. I have some running for months with not a single reboot (and they're on a UPS).

Place one on 1st floor and another on 2nd floor using non overlapping channels. Same SSID for both AP's. You'll be happy as long as you don't expect inter access point handover of streaming data.

All easily convert into an AP. Apple Airport has a simple tick box to click during setup. I believe so does the WNDR4500 and N66U.

Or, follow the guide on SNB to convert any wifi router into an AP.

These are some of your best modern options. Many AP's on the market are more $ and have worse performance. Check reviews and you'll see what I mean.

I also have a USG and use a Netgear WNDR3700 concerted into an AP.

Engenius EAP

I'm a fan of the Engenius EAP series, mostly the EAP 350 (gigabit port and POE capable)

Just be sure to update the firmware to the latest EAP350 v1.1.6 which for some reason can only be found on the foreign site and not the US site.

Other than that I only implement Cisco 1141 or 1142N, which may be out of your price range.

I too appreciate trouble-free and second the idea you shouldn't be implementing wireless routers.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online