What's new

cant add aimesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cabs14

New Around Here
Hi! just upgraded the firmware of my ax88u, ac88u and ac5300 to the latest asusmerlin firmware,

Using my main router ax88u i cant add the ac88u and ac5300 as aimesh nodes.

Here's the error message from the mobile app.
Screenshot_20240705_045532_ASUS Router.jpg

Screenshot_20240705_045905_ASUS Router.jpg

Any advice? Thanks

Hi! just upgraded the firmware of my ax88u, ac88u and ac5300 to the latest asusmerlin firmware,

Using my main router ax88u i cant add the ac88u and ac5300 as aimesh nodes.

Here's the error message from the mobile app.
View attachment 59979

View attachment 59980

Any advice? Thanks

Reboot router and nodes and let them settle; confirm WPS is enabled on the router; Reset both nodes and let them settle; try adding a node from the router webUI (if the router WPS is using the 2.4 band, beware Bluetooth, Microwave, and any other 2.4GHz EMI like cordless peripherals... move the node near to the router for stronger signals/comms to override interference). If still no joy, temporarily wire the node WAN to the router LAN and try adding it again.

OE

Last edited:
will try the wired(didnt do it as using the stock firmware says that pairing should only be done wirelessly)

i got lucky after posting here. ac5300 got paired but the ac88u still fails.

thanks!

will try the wired(didnt do it as using the stock firmware says that pairing should only be done wirelessly)

I do not think there is any restriction on using a wire to setup a node.

i got lucky after posting here. ac5300 got paired but the ac88u still fails.

thanks!

I appreciate 'getting lucky' but... with networking in particular, that's not good enough... I would assume the issue is still there and may haunt your next go around with AiMesh admin.

I'm not an Asuswrt-Merlin user (because my mission these days is to deconstruct tech complexity, not add to it), but I vaguely recall trouble reported with using WPS to setup wireless nodes. This issue may still exist and/or resurface(?)... too many models and firmwares to be more precise. If you are feeling adventurous, you could rebuild with stock ASUSWRT firmware to discover any difference. Otherwise, the best overall solution when possible would be to wire it all and don't look back.

Also with wireless nodes, AiMesh may resort to using WPS to recover communication with a troubled node connection(?). Disabling WPS for the usual security concerns could interfere with this. It's hard to know since AiMesh is a bit of a black box.

OE

ac5300 got paired but the ac88u still fails.

Another option is to wait for the next firmware release... maybe it will work then.

OE

Its a known issue connecting aimesh nodes can be a pain with asus-merlin (nobody really knows why as Rmerlin doesnt touch that code as its closed source). Usually wired will work, even then sometimes it takes a few trys

Its a known issue connecting aimesh nodes can be a pain with asus-merlin (nobody really knows why as Rmerlin doesnt touch that code as its closed source). Usually wired will work, even then sometimes it takes a few trys

This post suggests why/how... not 'touching' closed-source code is not always a sufficient reason/excuse:

As for 'wait for the next release', this is ASUS' MO, ship firmware that doesn't work and make customers wait/hope for the next release to fix it. WiFi7 product is shipping with broken QoS, etc. etc. etc... it never ends. This gets tiring, ASUS... consumers need plug and play reliability, not endless trials and maintenance.

OE

Last edited:
Any advice? Thanks
Try using the webui instead of the mobile app. I just added an RT-AC88U to an RT-AX88U here, it works fine for me:

1720293753130.png

Note that 386.14-beta1 has a bug where it will fail to generate the required SSL certificate, so you might need to run the previous stable release on the nodes, or wait for the 386.14 final release.