What's new

can't see files (but folders ok) under ftp protocol

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

minilude

Occasional Visitor
so I tried both WinSCP and Filezilla to connect remotely to my ac68u(merlin 380.62.1) by ftp protocol

first see sda1, then the folders under sda1, but the files (like .txt, .zip, .docx, etc) under sda1 are not visible. I can transfer new files to this /sda1/ directory but after the transfer is done they are still not visible.

If I go further to /sda1/software/ then everything is fine and visible for the second tier directories.

It is the admin account

Is it a firmware problem or my setting problem?

Last edited:
Tried to re-start ftp service and power cycle the router. nothing changed. tend to think it's a firmware problem as it's fine on my other router-hosted ftp server..can anyone else try?

Last edited:
I think it is by design. If you look in the routers web interface you can only create folders in the root and assign permissions to those folders. There is no place where you can assign permissions to the root level.

Just double checked here and it's the same. Can't see or write to the root directory.

When you say you can transfer new files but can't see them I suspect that they haven't actually transferred at all. In filezilla check the status window at the bottom for failed and successful transfers.

thanks for the feedback. The files are actually transferred. I double checked when I got home. They are just not visible. I checked with my linksys ea6400(usb attached to it, using ddwrt ftp) and the files under root directory are visible (I don't want to compare their functionalities because asus-merlin project is not for the same purpose), but just think it's kind of basic to at least let admin read/write the root files...?) I thought it was because of my settings or so. Spent the whole afternoon to figure it out..lol