What's new

Caps on data per client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe carroca

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently downloaded the Merlin firmware for my Asus RTAC87U router. I like the extra functionality of merlin. Thank you.

Regarding data quotas. I am wondering if there is a plan to upgrade the firmware to be able to cap data per client...Currently my cable ISP gives me 300gbs but I have noticed that some in my household, 4 teens, seem to spend a lot of time on HD youtube vidoes and i am very close to reaching my max limit. Any other suggestions you have that may be able to help...beside beating them up with a broom, lol

No plan to. Adding new features is not the goal of this project.

ok..what is the goal of this project...

Can you direct me in a resource on how i could change the source code to do this without breaking anything?

ok..what is the goal of this project...

To tweak the functionality of the Asus original firmware, while ensuring that the code remains similar enough to allow me to merge any future changes by Asus. In the past I've done a number of more advanced changes which ended up causing me a lot of issues keeping in sync with Asus. The IPSEC addition, for instance, had to be reverted, because it conflicted with the Trend Micro engine when it was added. So since then, I avoid any kind of complex change that could create issues in the future as Asus implements their own changes in future releases, or stop working with their future releases.

Can you direct me in a resource on how i could change the source code to do this without breaking anything?

The source got is available on the Github repo:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin

So since then, I avoid any kind of complex change that could create issues in the future as Asus implements their own changes in future releases, or stop working with their future releases.

Having pulled an examined the Asus drops myself, I agree with RMerlin - there's a lot of dependencies across the different packages that can lead to some serious breakage - and the non-GPL binaries are just one of many things that can go wrong...

Hello,

I recently downloaded the Merlin firmware for my Asus RTAC87U router. I like the extra functionality of merlin. Thank you.

Regarding data quotas. I am wondering if there is a plan to upgrade the firmware to be able to cap data per client...Currently my cable ISP gives me 300gbs but I have noticed that some in my household, 4 teens, seem to spend a lot of time on HD youtube vidoes and i am very close to reaching my max limit. Any other suggestions you have that may be able to help...beside beating them up with a broom, lol

Maybe ask in the official asus forum as there are actual employees posting, and if implemented you could see it on merlin down the road.

Hello,

Are you wanting data caps? Or perhaps you mean you'd like to restrict their max data rate? From your example (teens with HD Youtube), it sounds like you want to use the bandwidth limiter to stop them from hogging your 300Gbps, not calculate how much data they've transferred and cap it after they've transferred 10GB within a month. The bandwidth option IS supported, but the cap is not.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Are you wanting data caps? Or perhaps you mean you'd like to restrict their max data rate? From your example (teens with HD Youtube), it sounds like you want to use the bandwidth limiter to stop them from hogging your 300Gbps, not calculate how much data they've transferred and cap it after they've transferred 10GB within a month. The bandwidth option IS supported, but the cap is not.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Can you tell me how i can do this without them really noticing it...

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. In the parental controls I enable the web apps and filters and filter streaming entertainment per client. This shuts down You Tube and google video. If your kids complain as mine do, make them pay the penalties for going over your cap. I think router manufacturers need to hire firmware developers with young teenagers to code the parental controls. They are the most important feature set for so many of us.

I think router manufacturers need to hire firmware developers with young teenagers to code the parental controls. They are the most important feature set for so many of us

I would suggest hiring young teenagers to write the code :D

They've grown up with this tech, and given the correct nudge, perhaps they'll find a way to get their data and keep parents happy...