What's new

Cisco Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New firmware was released on March 7th.

Cisco Consumer Products

Product: E4200

Classification: Firmware Release History

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT:
- The safest way to perform the firmware upgrade is to use a wired computer.
- DO NOT power cycle the Router during the firmware upgrade process.

===========================================================================
Last Release Date: March 7, 2011
Firmware version: 1.0.01 (build 10)

- Fixed 2.4GHz wireless unstable issue
- Disabled IPv6-to-IPv4 Tunneling feature to improve Interoperability

===========================================================================
Release Date: Nov 14, 2010
Firmware version: 1.0.00 (build 13)

- Initial release

I little too late and it looks like no improvement in 5Ghz band which sucked for me in range and performance. Asus been great so far, especially in 5Ghz where I don't get artifacts in recorded tv shows OTA.

The reviews are logically done here, so I decided to join. I too am determining whether to go Netgear 3700 or Linksys E4200 or wait for the Netgear 3800 or 4000.

It looks like there are some pro's and cons going either WNDR3700 or E4200. What is missing is in the review is the E4200 with cards like we have in our laptops, that can do 450. That's almost like having a race, and pulling two of the plug wires on the car with the V8. A top-of-the-line Intel nics, like we use in our laptops, were less than $40 with free shipping. As indicated in the review, some of the tests were more a measure of capacity than real-world experience. However, reconnecting the other two spark plug wires has the potential to significantly impact real-world experience. Go Tim! Give is some numbers with the Ultimate-N 6300 cards. :D

The specs on the WNDR4000 and the E4200 seem so similar, it causes me to wonder if they are from the same supplier. I've OEMed before. You get basic firmware and components that work, and you build on that with packaging and add your own firmware bugs, er, capabilities, to differentiate yourself. It seems like Tim uncovered a CPU utilization issue with the E4200. It may be the self-imposed 10 user limit on the guest WLANs is more than just a good idea. If the WNDR4000 is based on the same components, it would be a pretty good indicator of what its potential will be, and whether it is worth waiting for.

I own an IT company. We learned by chance of the stellar performance on the 3700's 5 GHZ band while setting up a customer's system in-house. One of the guys upstairs asked what we had running that was giving him 300 mbps on 5 GHZ. In a lot of business situations you need to use 5 GHZ because microwaves operating at completely safe levels of leakage will easily nuke the tiny amount of power allowed for WLANs. We are no strangers to the 5 GHZ band, but the 3700 completely redefined where we deploy it.

We didn't go on to use the 3700 in-house because it wouldn't connect PTPP from the WLAN, while it worked perfectly on copper. That caught us completely off-guard, since normally, the physical layer has nothing to do with the protocol. We confirmed the problem with tech support. However, this was subsequently fixed in the .98 firmware release, even though they don't mention it in the release notes. Since they've fixed that, I've become sympathetic to in-house cries of anguish when someone gets nuked when someone else makes popcorn. However, now I have at least two possibilities to pick from, and perhaps a couple more soon, which is why I'm here.

Last edited:
I have reported to Linksys of the E4200 getting sluggish with time as I faced.

The solution I received was
(1) set SSID for 2.4GHz to have different name as 5GHz
(2) set the channel for 2.4GHz to channel 11
Note: iphone 4 is 802.11n but it operates in the 2.4GHz
I am still monitoring the outcome, and this is a great router so far.

I am impressed by Linksys's online support using chat.

I cannot get my E4200 to operate more than 65Mbps .
I had Valet Plus and it was always operating 300Mbps and just switched to E4200 and signal is very unstable.

Firmware: 1.0.01 build 10 Feb 21, 2011
Channel: tried 9,1,11, auto
Security: tries WPA2 Personal , WPA/WPA2 Personal mixed

Any idea?
Thanks in advance

I cannot get my E4200 to operate more than 65Mbps .
I had Valet Plus and it was always operating 300Mbps and just switched to E4200 and signal is very unstable.

Firmware: 1.0.01 build 10 Feb 21, 2011
Channel: tried 9,1,11, auto
Security: tries WPA2 Personal , WPA/WPA2 Personal mixed

Any idea?
Thanks in advance
65 Mbps usually indicates a single-stream N adapter. It should show 150 Mbps if the router is set to Auto 20/40 bandwidth mode and the adapter is enabled for Auto bandwidth in 2.4 GHz (check its Network properties).

Recommend WAP companion

Hi,

Could someone recommend a Wireless Access Point companion for my E4200?

I'm having trouble reaching the whole house with 11g.

I have an old WRT54G (replaced by E4200) could that be used?

Cheers
Jesper

Hi,

Cheers
Jesper

Are you trying create a repeater to boost the signal? If so, the E4200 does not support WDS.

Hi,

Cheers
Jesper
Any WiFi router can be configured as an Access Point (AP). There's a FAQ/tutorial here on how to do it. Essentially:
- don't use WAN port
- Connect to PC then login, setup WEP/WPA, disable DHCP server, channel, SSID.
- Disconnect PC.
- Connect a LAN port to a LAN port on your actual router - with a long cat5.

Otherwise, to add APs where you cannot run cat5 easily
Use MoCA (IP over TV Coax), see forum here
Use HPNA (IP over power wiring)

Are you trying create a repeater to boost the signal? If so, the E4200 does not support WDS.

No, my plan is to run a cat6 cable from my new E4200 to some WAP (new or possibly repurposed router).

Any WiFi router can be configured as an Access Point (AP). There's a FAQ/tutorial here on how to do it. Essentially:
- don't use WAN port
- Connect to PC then login, setup WEP/WPA, disable DHCP server, channel, SSID.
- Disconnect PC.
- Connect a LAN port to a LAN port on your actual router - with a long cat5.

Otherwise, to add APs where you cannot run cat5 easily
Use MoCA (IP over TV Coax), see forum here
Use HPNA (IP over power wiring)

It's not difficult to run a cat6 cable from the E4200 in my office (or from my switch in the attic) to an AP.

And I am familiar with the option of repurposing a Wifi router, but I was wondering if there was an "ideal companion" that could support both g,n as well as guest network from the E4200 and extend all the wireless features of the E4200 to the whole house.

If I use my old WRT54G I would only extend the g-network (a,b irrelevant).

Seems no one has noticed this, and in the review it says there is no advanced wireless tab like in the e3000. I typed http://192.168.1.1/Wireless_Advanced.asp and poof, the page magically appears with the latest linksys firmware. Hope this helps some with fine tuning.

firmware

Seems no one has noticed this, and in the review it says there is no advanced wireless tab like in the e3000. I typed http://192.168.1.1/Wireless_Advanced.asp and poof, the page magically appears with the latest linksys firmware. Hope this helps some with fine tuning.

Hi, thanks for the valuable input. Was this with the original firmware 1.0.0 , or the updated firmware? Just wondering if Linksys found/fixed the error.

Hi everyone! I have some questions about the performance of the E4200 and I would really appreciate your feedback/advices so thanx in advance. I live in a house and use on each floor router so that the wifi connection is good enough:
1st floor - modem connected to WRT610n v1 with NAS server, TV, DVR, Blueray player, PS3 plugged to it (primary router)
2nd floor - use HomePlug AV to connect to the second router (I use it as AP described in this tut http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30355/228/) and there is external HDD and 3in1 connected to it
Additional to that there are 3-4 laptops, 1 PC and 4 cell phones in the wifi network

and it worked good (though not perfect) until my wrt610n did die on me one day...so naturally I am in a search for a new one and I hesitate between E4200 and the WNDR4000. To be honest I am a Linksys/Cysco fanboy and had and prefer only Linksys routers but I am opened to new stuff. I read the reviews of these routers but what interests me are the real world experiences people have with them. I know that netgear screw up with their firmwares but have the bridge/repeater option (not interested in WDS - want to connect the 2 routers over ethernet) but Linksys routers are solid (at least up until now the routers I had)......so what would you advice me to do - go with E4200 or WNDR4000

Refurbished?

I just noticed that Linksys/Cisco is selling refurbished E4200's. They say that they are thoroughly tested...

Any thoughts on refurbished for this? The comments that they make are fine, I'm just wondering what my chances of getting a reliable one are that way? It's always a gamble when buying a router, I'm wondering how much buying refurbished increases the gamble?

Could be very little extra risk if they're really tested, but if they are returns that didn't work right, then they've already been sold with faults, and who's to say that's changed?

I can't speak specifically to refurbished E4200's. But I have purchased refurbished gear for years and have never had a problem with any of it.

Thanks very much, that's helpful to hear.

I'm really curious how things will go *smile*.

Thanks again.

I just saw on the official Cisco forum that Cisco Connect users are getting prompts to download firmware version 1.0.0.2. It enables IPV6. And thats so far all anyone knows i guess. Its not available to download off the site, and i wont be flashing until i see a change log and some guinea pigs put it through its paces, because my unit is running perfectly, knock on wood.

So yeah, fyi.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!