What's new

Cisco WAP121 Performance Issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htrieu

New Around Here
I'm in the market for a new WAP and I have narrowed it down to the Cisco WAP121 and WAP321. I'm leaning more towards the WAP121 as it is cheaper and I do not need all of the features that the WAP321 has.

I came across a thread on the Cisco forums where users are reporting that their WAP121's suffer from mediocre performance when using WPA2-AES encryption. Can anyone who owns the WAP121 comment on this? I would really like to purchase it.

Thanks.

WAP121 has Fast Ethernet Port published 10/100mbps real 6/60mbps

WAP321 has Gig Ethernet Port published 10/100/1000mbps real 6/60/600mbps

Reviewing what has been published on SNB Charts comparing both and with the current E4200 and EA4500 these seem slightly higher in throughput. Although have Business Enterprise Series and having choices of VLAN options changing the TX Power and creating a GUI for Guest or clients to log on with. Seems like something I would be interested in.

Still checking though... I have both E4200V1 and the EA4500 as WAP networking but the results are mixed. There are times they're quick and there are times they bog down and when they bog down they're so hot to touch.

It's even worst with my 2 Cisco RE1000V1 they get so hot they bog out completely.. Can't even use them they're so hot.. WiFi % drops and everything comes to stop Wireless side.

PoE adapter you say it's not included in these Enterprise WAP models..

Last edited:
Cisco WAP121 Not a Wireless N AP

I have two WAP121 upgraded to the latest FW 1.0,2,3. I am using a Cisco RV4000 Gateway/Router with Comcast internet service. This has worked great for the last 5 years. That is until I decided to upgrade to 802.11 N with Cisco WAP121. Using WAP121 I get an internet download speed around 0,2 - 0.2 Mbit/s and upload speed around 6 Mbit/s. If I connect directly with Ethernet I get 25 Mbit/s down and 6 Mbit/s up. If I download my files from my local server using WAP121 I get 50 - 60 Mbit/s download speed without any problem. After browsing internet I found a solution, turn off 802.11 N. With that I get 15 Mbit/S down and 6 Mbit/s up. My setup works fine with my old b/g AP's. It works fine 5Ghz 802.11N AP's. So why is WAP121 not working?

Other than this WAP121 works great. The Single Point Setup - Multiple SSID's that can have different VLAN's and different security etc. It is all very useful if you don't need a 802.11N AP that is.

I can't help but feeling disappointed that Cisco is releasing a product where the main feature simply don't work. For me the conclusion is that if you are interested in an Wireless - N AP you should look elsewhere until Cisco have fixed this problem.