What's new

Confused about switching to wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

Centuri1

Currently I have a network that uses a Netgear 8 port wired Router to service 7 systems. I then have a Linksys WAP connected to that router to service a number of laptops that we have.

The problem is that our DSL supplier's service is not all that great; so I've recently brought in a 5 mbs cable modem with the thought of upgrading to their 16 mbs when it's available in my area. The modem serves a single system through the LAN port. I've found the the Cable modem to much faster and more responsive than the DSL system that I've been using for about 6 years, so the thought is to go to cable alone.

Several of my newer systems have 10/100/1000 LAN capability and I plan on upgrading most all of the remaining wired systems to motherboards that have this capability. I can't do much about the laptops throughput except reduce the traffic time on the desktop wireless systems by having the newer systems use less of the bandwidth because of faster speeds.

I've read the excellent article about setting up a wireless system but I'm not sure of where to go from here. I would like to take advantage of the speed of the cable modem (especially when considering the increase in speed that is being projected).

My questions are:
1. What wireless router will serve best for the situation I've described. I know that the "N" versions are preliminary but I wouldn't mind experimenting with this if it's worth while to do so.

2. What wireless cards work best at the higher speeds with a new wireless router (for the current desktop wireless systems)? Also, I would like to reduce the number of wired connections by converting some of the current wired connections to wireless.

I know this is asking a lot; and I will be very appreciative for any and all help!!

Centuri1

I need to add that the network is not frequently used for sharing files, mostly individuals browsing the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Linksys WAP do you currently have, and what do your current wireless clients connect to it at?

Remember where the technical bottleneck is here. Wireless G should still satisfy your needs...as they realistically connect in the mid-teens. I'm in a 3 story house with a G access point on the 3rd floor, I still pull a good 15 - 18 megs when I'm down on the first floor. Currently as I'm transitioning towns...I'm on a 6 meg cable connection. But in my prior town where I lived, where I enjoyed Comcast Powerboost with a near 30 meg connection...my laptops on G wireless still ran a solid 18 megs with several online benchmark sites. So there one could state that my wireless was a bottleneck...but realistically for your internet experience..with browsing and such..once you're up above 10 megs..increases become less noticable.

If you read the conclusions of several of SmallNetBuilder articles, they all essentially raise some similar points about wireless (N):

1. Add, don't replace with N. Performance of both G and N will suffer if you have a single router / AP doing both. Keep your existing G AP and add N if you find it necessary.

2. For the best speeds with wireless N, match brands as much as possible.

3. Don't buy faster wireless if your internet's connection speed doesn't warrant it. As stonecat mentions, wireless G will realistically support 15-25Mb/s. Unless you're getting a really fast connection, and your web based activities support those speeds, dont bother.

A lot of other good advice here, and all over SmallNetBuilder.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!