What's new

connect to public wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chhaus

New Around Here
I'd like to access the public wifi broadcast by the local college. Problem is the college's antenna is around the corner of a building from my computer. I get a strong signal in my driveway and I want to know what hardware to mount on the front of my garage to pick up that signal and feed it to my computer, preferably over ethernet rather than by a repeater. I have an older Engenius EL-2611CB3+ Deluxe 802.11b Wireless Client Bridge/Access Point in an outdoor antenna enclosure that was I think used for just this purpose but I can't seem to get past the static IP address configuration page in the instructions. Anyone have any experience with this unit? I also have a wireless n pcmcia card. Is there a way to put it on the end of a 50ft. ethernet cable to accomplish the same thing?

You won't be able to connect to their internet as they have credentials to log in for each student. Look for an affordable ISP in your area.

Relax a little guys.

Just find out from the university if it is truely public Wifi, or if it is supposed to be a student and faculty only network. If truely public, it isn't really bootlegging. Its a bit of mooching, but it isn't some horrible "stealing wifi".

As for what to do, if you are serious about going down this path, replace that horrible ancient old bridge. I mean, dear god is it old. The university would thank you for not slowing everything WAY down by trying to connect using 11b. Its roughly 15 years out of date.

I'd just look at getting an outdoor rated bridge, like one of the Engenius 802.11n bridges, you can connect to that directly through Ethernet and they tend to cost around $50. Pretty cheap for free internet then. It will also be roughly 6-8x faster (potentially).

Seriously though, consider contacting the university just to ask if their wifi is free for the public.

Right, like the university wants to pay for enough capacity for good service to students, faculty, and everyone living nearby.

Well, it's either public or it's not. If it's truly public and open, then what's the issue? It's not stealing, not even mooching. But if it's a private network for students and faculty....well, presumably they have some security or require you to register before they'll assign an IP.

Right, like the university wants to pay for enough capacity for good service to students, faculty, and everyone living nearby.

Maybe not. However, if it is truely public, it is public. Unless they have a ToS page or something stating out how it should be used, the options are

1) It is a private network for only students and faculty and is somehow protected, even if minimally.

2) It is a public network with a ToS page

3) It is a public network with no ToS

1 and 2 mean you probably shouldn't connect your home network to it (for 2, if it is against the ToS they are stating). 3 means, it really is fine to connect to it.

The university may not be INTENDING to provide access to anyone and everyone OFF campus, but if that is the case, they need a ToS page you need to agree to stating it is against their rules. That doesn't stop people who don't give a bee's wax about things like ToS/rules if the network is otherwise open, but it deffinitely puts you in the wrong for breaing the ToS.

Well that was a lively little discussion. Actually my wife is senior faculty at that college. The college provides logins for faculty, students, and guests. Special thanks to azazel1024 for just answering my question without passing judgement.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!