What's new

Connect wireless router to ethernet port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fernandoch

New Around Here
Can I just connect a wireless router at an ethernet port at work and it should work properly? Should I connect it as bridge?

Thank you.

Why not just try it and see what doesn't work? Connecting via the WAN port means that no inbound data will be able to get past the firewall. So if you want people on other parts of the work network to get to the shares on machines connected to the router, it won't work.

Be aware that if you don't properly secure the router, you are exposing your work network to possible harm.

Yes, you can - however, you might get fired... Most IT folks frown on unauthorized wireless AP's attached to their LAN.

Check with your IT/Networking team - they may already have solutions in place to support wireless access inside the company network.

If you're doing wireless development, they may be able to set you up on a VLAN, routing traffic straight into-out of the corporate LAN. Much depends on what the setup is at your company.

yep. good way to get fired.
Many enterprise IT systems have port scanners, etc. that will detect the MAC address on the LAN, see that it is a WiFi product, and rat you out.

My employer has a zero tolerance for that kind of thing. And also requires that we all use a defined whole-disk encryption method for company laptops that can be lost/stolen. There is company provided WiFi in selected areas with policy-compliant user authentication and encryption.

It's not a game there in Enterprise networking - serious issues at stake.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!