What's new

Custom DNS servers not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jammy456

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
Wondering if someone can suggest what I might be doing wrong here. I have an Asus RT-AX88u and have configured my ISPs WAN IP & Custom DNS servers, the internet works fine but for some reason the router still uses my ISPs DNS rather than the custom ones I've set. If I go to the 'Internet Status' tab on the home screen it shows my ISPs DNS servers but if I go to my WAN settings it shows the custom ones I've entered. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2022-01-14 12_59_26-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Internet Connection - Brave.png
    2022-01-14 12_59_26-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Internet Connection - Brave.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 2022-01-14 13_00_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Network Map - Brave.png
    2022-01-14 13_00_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Network Map - Brave.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 205
Aren't those just the values that are assigned to the external router NIC (i.e. WAN NIC) from the ISP?

If you ssh into the router and run a netstat, what DNS servers is your system connected to (i.e. look for :53 for the port).

Aren't those just the values that are assigned to the external router NIC (i.e. WAN NIC) from the ISP?

If you ssh into the router and run a netstat, what DNS servers is your system connected to (i.e. look for :53 for the port).
All my devices are showing as using the ISPs DNS servers when i do a check. Netstat shows my ISPs DNS.

Just bumping this as I am clueless as to whats wrong. Cant understand why it would get ISP dns when I've told it to use specific ones. I've tested it on my devices and they show ISP DNS servers not Cloudfare/Google.

What were the exact firmware versions that you tried? (Maybe someone else with those versions can check their router)

P.S. Set Enable VPN + DHCP Connection to No under WAN - Internet Connection unless your ISP specifically requires it. Not that that's related to your problem.

What were the exact firmware versions that you tried? (Maybe someone else with those versions can check their router)

P.S. Set Enable VPN + DHCP Connection to No under WAN - Internet Connection unless your ISP specifically requires it. Not that that's related to your problem.
Stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386.44266 & 3.0.0.4.386.46065

Merlin Firmware 386.3_2 & 386.4_0

I checked that setting and it was already set to No

I've had a "somewhat" similar issue, and the only way I can get the router to use any custom DNS server is to specify it in my LAN-DHCP Server tab, in the "DNS Server" field (and as such, can only get one custom server, rather than custom DNS1 and DNS2, as should be the case with those fields populated for the WAN, which they are). Firmware is Asus current version (Merlin not available).

I've had a "somewhat" similar issue, and the only way I can get the router to use any custom DNS server is to specify it in my LAN-DHCP Server tab, in the "DNS Server" field (and as such, can only get one custom server, rather than custom DNS1 and DNS2, as should be the case with those fields populated for the WAN, which they are). Firmware is Asus current version (Merlin not available).
Glad it isnt just me then. I cant for the life of me figure it out, it doesnt really make any sense.

Same here. And when I try to use the DoT option (WAN Tab DNS Servers), the following message appears under the field:
"Your router's DHCP server is configured to provide a DNS server that's different from your router's IP address. This will prevent clients from using the DNS Privacy servers."
Yet I must have it that way to enable use of a DNS server that isn't my router nor my internet provider (since the only way to get it is by setting it on the LAN Tab).
If I leave the LAN Gateway and DNS Server fields empty (which SHOULD be done, and is the default), and specify custom DNS servers in the WAN tab, it ends up just using my router as the DNS server...weird.
(I should point out, though, that my router's IP was changed from the default value, so maybe that's causing issues with the current firmware version on this specific router...???)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!