What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.49SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which specific ICMPv6 packets are they dropping? There are RFCs dictating which should be allowed. If Netgear isn't following the RFC, someone should refer them to RFC-4890, sec. 4.3.1 and 4.4.1.
That was pointed out to them, nothing was ever done. This was quite a few years back and you can only do so much when talking to a brick wall. :(

Hi,
is it possible to change the label (displayed as "Volume Name" in the WI) of a connected USB device?
e2label or mlabel do not work. There is mkfs.ext4, but I do not want to format the hdd.

If you are using Entware, there is a package tune2fs
Code:
tune2fs 1.43.9 (8-Feb-2018)
Usage: tune2fs [-c max_mounts_count] [-e errors_behavior] [-f] [-g group]
        [-i interval[d|m|w]] [-j] [-J journal_options] [-l]
        [-m reserved_blocks_percent] [-o [^]mount_options[,...]]
        [-r reserved_blocks_count] [-u user] [-C mount_count]
        [-L volume_label] [-M last_mounted_dir]
        [-O [^]feature[,...]] [-Q quota_options]
        [-E extended-option[,...]] [-T last_check_time] [-U UUID]
        [-I new_inode_size] [-z undo_file] device

see -L option.

Voxel.

well, despite all this, I'm giving NG another try. I wanted an AC86U but it's just too expensive here (I'd say even overpriced). 250 euro's is way over my head for a router. The R7800 costs 170 here and is Qualcomm based with working MU-MIMO (not that I need it right now). I know it limits a bit my options of 3rd party FW, but that's fine. Could improve over time

well, despite all this, I'm giving NG another try. I wanted an AC86U but it's just too expensive here (I'd say even overpriced). 250 euro's is way over my head for a router. The R7800 costs 170 here and is Qualcomm based with working MU-MIMO (not that I need it right now). I know it limits a bit my options of 3rd party FW, but that's fine. Could improve over time
Voxels firmware works well and is a fork of stock. I used that when I had my R7800 up and running. To many issues with the R7800 QoS though, it just doesn't really work as it should and unless you connect to a UPS it has a habit of selecting low for all devices if the power drops. Also Netgear updated the QoS a couple of months back and it was still 6months out of date. Still a great router and great range over 5-Ghz. Just avoid QoS unless you really need it. :)

Voxels firmware works well and is a fork of stock. I used that when I had my R7800 up and running. To many issues with the R7800 QoS though, it just doesn't really work as it should and unless you connect to a UPS it has a habit of selecting low for all devices if the power drops. Also Netgear updated the QoS a couple of months back and it was still 6months out of date. Still a great router and great range over 5-Ghz. Just avoid QoS unless you really need it. :)

Luckily, I don't have a need for QoS on my fat pipe. Thanks for the info, though.

Luckily, I don't have a need for QoS on my fat pipe. Thanks for the info, though.

At what 'thickness of pipe' (and below, I suppose) should one consider turning on QOS? For example, I have Cable, 200mb download, 37 upload. Should I have QOS enabled on that speed of bandwidth?

If you look at the reviews where the R7800 is head to head with those Asus routers the R7800 does just fine. There’s no need to spend more than the R7800 costs.

At what 'thickness of pipe' (and below, I suppose) should one consider turning on QOS? For example, I have Cable, 200mb download, 37 upload. Should I have QOS enabled on that speed of bandwidth?

QoS is based on the amount of devices you have and on how fast your connection is and how many of them consume how much. I have 400/40 with a total of 11 devices, most of which don't use the internet much - stuff like TVs, blu-rays, receivers only need it for updates as I don't use their Smart things.

it's difficult to give a figure on when QoS should be used. You can have only 5 devices on your network, but if 1 of them is consuming most of the bandwidth and you don't want that, you may need to use QoS to not disrupt the others.

QoS is mostly for UPlink streams, not downlink.

After a certain speed on the Uplink. Mainly 500Mb and beyond, QoS really isn't needed. Most router Mfrs don't support or the QoS code doesn't support handling of these higher speeds. It can interfere with HW NAT acceleration or Cut Through speed handling needed to achieve those 900Mb +- speed on routers.

anyways, we're going off topic here

a question about Voxel's firmware. Do I need to factory reset before/after going to Voxel? I know it's basically stock with upgraded pkgs and other improvements, but better be safe than sorry so I'm asking ;)

I've had good luck in just upgrading FW and it keeps current configurations and settings persistent. I normally do a factory reset and set up from scratch on other Mfr routers, however NG and Voxels FW seems solid enough to not do a factory reset. However on occasion when one experiences issues or bad behavior, it's recommended to do a Factory reset and set up from scratch. I migrated to Voxels FW back then and did not do a factory reset. Also same for going back. Just keep in mind that a factory reset maybe needed if you see odd behaviors.

Well, spank my butt and call me a donkey

Just got my R7800 and set it up. Doing a test of the IPv6 shows that ICMPv6 is no longer blocked by the router. There's at the bottom of the IPv6 config page a setting called "IPv6 Filtering". Setting it to Open passes ICMPv6 packets and the test site reports "Reachable" -- https://nextcloud.teambelgium.net/index.php/s/zTtmbiAGofXgaT5

I guess I no longer may be needing Voxel firmware if this issue is fixed in the stock

Well, spank my butt and call me a donkey

Just got my R7800 and set it up. Doing a test of the IPv6 shows that ICMPv6 is no longer blocked by the router. There's at the bottom of the IPv6 config page a setting called "IPv6 Filtering". Setting it to Open passes ICMPv6 packets and the test site reports "Reachable" -- https://nextcloud.teambelgium.net/index.php/s/zTtmbiAGofXgaT5

I guess I no longer may be needing Voxel firmware if this issue is fixed in the stock

I tried that yesterday and it was still listed as filtered. My default is IP4 and type is 6to4 instead of native ip6, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I tried that yesterday and it was still listed as filtered. My default is IP4 and type is 6to4 instead of native ip6, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I don't know, maybe. Also your firewall may be filtering ICMPv6. I assume you use Windows so I can't help on that. On my Linux desktop with custom iptable rules that allow ICMPv6, the site reports it is reachable. Same on my NAS system

I don't know, maybe. Also your firewall may be filtering ICMPv6. I assume you use Windows so I can't help on that. On my Linux desktop with custom iptable rules that allow ICMPv6, the site reports it is reachable. Same on my NAS system

Marking IPv6 Filtering as "open" doesn't seem to improve the situation with ICMPv6 for me, either. Still only getting 17/20 on the IPv6/4 Connectivity and Speed Test...I need to do a few more things, but pretty disappointing so far. Has nothing to do with the firewall on my computer, by the way. I get 19/20 with other implementations of IPv6 on the same computer.

I've tested on 2 computers here, both running the same Linux OS/version. Both have similar firewall rules and use stateless for IPv6. On both computers the test site reports that ICMPv6 is reachable. Now I wonder if there may be something with the site...

Windows ffirewall filters ICMPv6 as does many software firewalls do I believe also some other hardware providers like Ubiquiti, it seems more common than I thought it would be tbh.

Okay, so I did try turning off Windows firewall, and then it does work as it should. I guess that I'm stuck unless I can go into the firewall settings and change the ICMPv6 filtering settings.

Update: tried enabling a couple of file and printer sharing "echo" inbound rules in the Windows firewall that refer to ICMPv6. This didn't help, which seems odd. Must be more to it than just allowing "pings".

Final update *smile*: without changing anything else on my computer, I switched over to the eero and turned on IPv6 on it. Got 19/20 with the same firewall settings that I only could get 17/20 with the Netgear R7800. Odd.

Last edited:
Okay, so I did try turning off Windows firewall, and then it does work as it should. I guess that I'm stuck unless I can go into the firewall settings and change the ICMPv6 filtering settings.

Update: tried enabling a couple of file and printer sharing "echo" inbound rules in the Windows firewall that refer to ICMPv6. This didn't help, which seems odd. Must be more to it than just allowing "pings".

Final update *smile*: without changing anything else on my computer, I switched over to the eero and turned on IPv6 on it. Got 19/20 with the same firewall settings that I only could get 17/20 with the Netgear R7800. Odd.

Isn't this all you need?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...-request-through-your-windows-vista-firewall/

Similar to the one that I used (https://kb.iu.edu/d/aopy, only the ICMPv6 rules), except what I did was to simply enable a couple of exisiting inbound rules involving allowing ICMPv6 pings. Which didn't help for the Netgear R7800. Only disabling the Windows firewall completely helped for that. Right now I'm using the eero, as I said, and it gets 19/20 on this test (ICMPv6 is treated more correctly *smile*) without any further changes in the Windows firewall.

I'm loathe to play with writing new firewall rules, given that I know very little about them. So I could easily make a mistake that could create problems for me *smile*. And from this experience, I'm guessing that there's more to it than just allowing ping's *smile*.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!