What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With the fan and router pretty much idle:

CPU 59.1° C / WL0 40.13 °C / WL1 45.89 °C

CPU - 16° cooler

WLO - 6° cooler

WL1 - 13° cooler

I figured out my test lag issue with my ps4.
I input DNS servers, and actually web browsing was slow, so I removed them and problem gone. So much for that, if I use another I will just go back to google's DNS servers, but for now i'll stick to my ISP ones.

Also I added the cooler to my first post. Yes use the USB post on the back, and that cooler comes with a USB passthru;)

Place the router toward the front of the cooler, just a 1/2 inch or 1.5 CM back from the front and center on the sides.
my temps seem to only vary max 1 °C no matter what so far.

CPU 56.4 °C / WL0 36.55 °C / WL1 44.74 °C

let me know if that brings down the temp more and i'll add it to the first post, the position of the cooler.

Last edited:
Defran1

Does the USB 3.0 port run in true 3.0 and does the Samba share work?
I have a 2 TB HD plugged into the usb 3.0 port as I share files and stream movies over the network. Does this work properly?

CC

I have a 2 TB HD plugged into the usb 3.0 port as I share files and stream movies over the network. Does this work properly?

CC

i think we have usb 2 speeds, but don't hold me to that, from what i read, but those articles were ~2 years old on dd-wrt, in saying that i don't think we ever got usb 3.0 speeds from stock firmware anyway sooooo

I have my media working thru the usb 3.0 port, streaming works great with dd-wrt, performs just as good as stock to me, follow my instructions on the fist post, I think I wrote them right.

edit : I just copied a 1.5G file in a minute, from mac to router usb drive, I think thats what I got before also.

Last edited:
I do not think so, but maybe you can?;)

So others would know, please?

I can add instructions to the first post on page one for it if you give me them, as I have no idea, I do not own 2, but google "dd-wrt how to set up ap" should get you going.

Thank you!

Experimenting is out of the question for me, since these are installed at a remote site. I'll hang tight till more people chime in with their experiences before taking the plunge. Asus's last few batches of bad firmwares still sting.

CC

Samba share does work as I'm currently transferring files to my USB 3.0 attached HD. Speeds were at 11.3 MB/s. My PC is running on 5 GHz and is about 15' away from the router with two walls. I'm not sure if that helps you or not.

Up and running

OK I went for it. So far I am very surprised at the results. Seems to be very stable. Transfers from USB to laptop same as stock firmware. Regular browsing seems much snappier.

What does everyone have for the beam forming options on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ?

CC

OK I went for it. So far I am very surprised at the results. Seems to be very stable. Transfers from USB to laptop same as stock firmware. Regular browsing seems much snappier.

What does everyone have for the beam forming options on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ?

CC

The 5GHz beamforming does not work in this build, I have not used it yet on 2.4GHz

So there are new builds out but our directory is empty.. :confused:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-02-2015-r26125/asus-rt-ac87u/

I saw that too, maybe they are giving up on this also for us 87's, I am starting to think it is a design flaw.

I had a couple of hiccups, and I now am seeing the lag on ps4 at times and a reboot of the router does fix it, also it is a lot easier to reboot thru the firmware as the asus one was a hit and miss on correcting issues on web reboot vs dd-wrt always works like pulling power.

Still testing tho. Still seems much better than any asus firmware to date tho.

What if you schedule a reboot every night? Does that seem to work?

I'm really pissed that asus half baked this thing, especially for what we paid for it. Its funny that once they get it perfect, if ever, it will probably cost half what we put down for it. :mad:

What if you schedule a reboot every night? Does that seem to work?

I'm really pissed that asus half baked this thing, especially for what we paid for it. Its funny that once they get it perfect, if ever, it will probably cost half what we put down for it. :mad:

I think I can do that reboot schedule, I'll try in the next few days.

I agree with you on the second part, someone already had a 1 or 2 day sale on these for just about half off a month ago ~.

I purchased the fan you referenced and it arrived today. It doesn't seem to blow much air. Is that normal? Both fans are working.

EDIT: There has to be something wrong with this cooler. Absolutely 0 change in temperature with it plugged in. Still curious about the fan speed and air volume though.

Last edited:
I think I can do that reboot schedule, I'll try in the next few days.

I agree with you on the second part, someone already had a 1 or 2 day sale on these for just about half off a month ago ~.

I set mine to reboot each day at 3:30 am. Goto Administration -> Keep Alive.

Schedule Reboot: Enable
At A Set Time: Put in your reboot time

** Note: Make sure NTP is working correctly and the time is correct or you will reboot when it's not expected.

So far this is better than any build I've ran to date. Both wireless channels working like a champ. No lag on Xbox. I've been running this build now for a little over a day.

I'll report temps when the fan cooler gets here tomorrow.

Not ready for prime time

I set mine to reboot each day at 3:30 am. Goto Administration -> Keep Alive.

Schedule Reboot: Enable
At A Set Time: Put in your reboot time

** Note: Make sure NTP is working correctly and the time is correct or you will reboot when it's not expected.

So far this is better than any build I've ran to date. Both wireless channels working like a champ. No lag on Xbox. I've been running this build now for a little over a day.

I'll report temps when the fan cooler gets here tomorrow.

I tried DDWRT for the last few days. A few notes of interest:

1 - No beamforming on the 5.0 GHZ channel
2 - Streaming thru USB is 20-25% slower than latest Asus stock firmware
3 - IPV6 Tunnel 6 to 4 does not work
4 - On my Oppo 103 where I stream from the 2 TB Drive in usb 3.0 showed 3
separate drives on the DLNA listing. This never happened with Asus stock
firmware.
5 - Random reboots when the load was heavy, ex 1080 p youtube streaming on 3 laptops and iphone. I used this test with every firmware and router to see if it could handle the stress. On this build it crashed more than once. Current stock firmware never rebooted.
6 - On VUDU stream tests on the Asus stock firmware the needle is burried to max which indicates HDX stream potential. With DDWRT best I could get was about 1/2 up the bar which equals 720p.

I am positive that the 5 ghz channel is very restricted due to the newer chip. Signal strength on the Asus stock firmware is better with more range measured with my laptop in different areas of my home.

So after I decided to return to Stock I set to default on the DDWRT firmware. Then put in recovery mode and flashed the latest version of the stock firmware. Now the stock firmware is flying. Everything works perfectly, no reboots and streaming speeds are back to before. I also think an install of the Asus firmware in the recovery mode is better than just uploading thru the DDWRT firmware upload page.

Maybe a future version will be better but this is not ready for prime time.

CC

I purchased the fan you referenced and it arrived today. It doesn't seem to blow much air. Is that normal? Both fans are working.

EDIT: There has to be something wrong with this cooler. Absolutely 0 change in temperature with it plugged in. Still curious about the fan speed and air volume though.

I don't think mine blows a lot either
I posted a page or so back on placement
Try that if still hot
Try another fan
Get Amazon to take that back and buy another
Amazon is great with this stuff
They pay shipping back

I tried DDWRT for the last few days. A few notes of interest:

1 - No beamforming on the 5.0 GHZ channel
2 - Streaming thru USB is 20-25% slower than latest Asus stock firmware
3 - IPV6 Tunnel 6 to 4 does not work
4 - On my Oppo 103 where I stream from the 2 TB Drive in usb 3.0 showed 3
separate drives on the DLNA listing. This never happened with Asus stock
firmware.
5 - Random reboots when the load was heavy, ex 1080 p youtube streaming on 3 laptops and iphone. I used this test with every firmware and router to see if it could handle the stress. On this build it crashed more than once. Current stock firmware never rebooted.
6 - On VUDU stream tests on the Asus stock firmware the needle is burried to max which indicates HDX stream potential. With DDWRT best I could get was about 1/2 up the bar which equals 720p.

I am positive that the 5 ghz channel is very restricted due to the newer chip. Signal strength on the Asus stock firmware is better with more range measured with my laptop in different areas of my home.

So after I decided to return to Stock I set to default on the DDWRT firmware. Then put in recovery mode and flashed the latest version of the stock firmware. Now the stock firmware is flying. Everything works perfectly, no reboots and streaming speeds are back to before. I also think an install of the Asus firmware in the recovery mode is better than just uploading thru the DDWRT firmware upload page.

Maybe a future version will be better but this is not ready for prime time.

CC

This is great to know
I seen the reboot over playback load also
I posted some reference to it but wanted to make sure it was just not me
Thank you for trying

I don't think mine blows a lot either
I posted a page or so back on placement
Try that if still hot
Try another fan
Get Amazon to take that back and buy another
Amazon is great with this stuff
They pay shipping back

Followed your placement recommendations with the same result. Its not like the router is getting hot, it stays right in the 65C to 70C range. However, I thought the cooler would lower the temps. Anyway, Amazon has been contacted. Thanks for the assistance.

Followed your placement recommendations with the same result. Its not like the router is getting hot, it stays right in the 65C to 70C range. However, I thought the cooler would lower the temps. Anyway, Amazon has been contacted. Thanks for the assistance.

Oh I forgot one thing I have my fan raised about 1" (~3cm) for proper airflow, that may be the reason, try small pieces of cardboard on the 4 corners or something to get it up at least 1/2 my height.

Last edited:
So there are new builds out but our directory is empty.. :confused:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-02-2015-r26125/asus-rt-ac87u/

Our directory is empty again for today's build.
Maybe they are telling us something

Maybe nothing can help us due to a bad design / hardware ??

There has been nothing from Asus also, and it's a while for them.

We may just have to make due or call asus and demand refunds ( good luck with that )

As long as the loads are small we seem good but as soon as the loads are heavy all hell breaks loose. But I still think (so far) dd-wrt is the best. With cc666 issues in mind except distance, I think (?) dd-wrt is better in my tests.

But I can't wait for the next firmware from anyone at this point. As we all know a day or 2 does or says nothing for new firmware as we learned, we need a week. That's what I'm giving this one , without touching it or looking at.