What's new

dd-wrt for RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I upgraded the firmware through webui. I was in dd-wrt. All are working for me. Try to flash through recovery and later if you are already in dd-wrt; you do not need to reset unless it is necessary.

beamforming is working on 2.4GHz not 5GHz (have not tested yet, but says its on)
if yours is, please post settings.

LEDs what do you mean they are working? only one that was not was my 2.4GHz 3rd one from the left to right (power, 5GHz, 2.4GHz, lan1, etc..) is that one working for you ???

I did upgrade thru the web gui. I just did not check after reboot, but still no 2.4 led??

Last edited:
You must be doing something wrong or have a faulty router.

I'm having issues with it too. 5ghz performance, dd-wrt solves it. I followed all the instructions for clearing the asus firmware and clearing out the settings for merlin's build. It just gets flakey after a while, and I'm only using this thing as an AP, so much of the extra stuff is turned off.

Last edited:
Welcome to dd-wrt firmware!

Thank You saifooz

Firmware is in saifooz post #3 below

8) nvram erase --- again do this several times
9) Type reboot, in the telnet window

Please let me know if I made any mistakes, as I am new to this also
Thank You and FINALLY we have working routers!!

Dfran,

On step 8, in dd-wrt, the correct command to clear nvram is erase nvram not how its listed above, nvram erase. Not sure if you have been doing that. If you havent, maybe this step isnt really necessary. I can confirm that typing "erase nvram" does the job of clearing the nvram.

Also in case anyone wants to know how to telnet to your router, say if its using 192.168.1.1 for its address

go to start/run type "cmd" press enter

Telnet 192.168.1.1

the login is "root" the password is whatever you set the password for the router.

Last edited:
beamforming is working on 2.4GHz not 5GHz (have not tested yet, but says its on)
if yours is, please post settings.

LEDs what do you mean they are working? only one that was not was my 2.4GHz 3rd one from the left to right (power, 5GHz, 2.4GHz, lan1, etc..) is that one working for you ???

I did upgrade thru the web gui. I just did not check after reboot, but still no 2.4 led??

I can confirm no beamforming on 5ghz plus no 2.4ghz led. Also cannot select the channel for 5ghz

Dfran,

On step 8, in dd-wrt, the correct command to clear nvram is erase nvram not how its listed above, nvram erase. Not sure if you have been doing that. If you havent, maybe this step isnt really necessary. I can confirm that typing "erase nvram" does the job of clearing the nvram.

Also in case anyone wants to know how to telnet to your router, say if its using 192.168.1.1 for its address

go to start/run type "cmd" press enter

Telnet 192.168.1.1

the login is "root" the password is whatever you set the password for the router.

You are correct it does say "mtd erase nvram;reboot" came from the wiki, DO NOT use the one I just posted here because if you reverse it (I am not going to say what) you will wipe your router as in DOA (maybe). I did do a WPS reset on this today also.

Now the 2.4GHz light still does not work for me, is it working for any of you???

Beamforming only works for 2.4GHz unless that activates the 5GHz, but the 5GHz beamforming will not activate still, did anyone find something different in this??

EDIT1: Thank you spinkick, I added your telnet instructions to my first post!! Keep em coming.

EDIT2:I corrected it in my first post for that step, I looked back in my telnet log that I still had up and I did type it in once that way, you are correct THANK YOU!! Fixed!!

Last edited:
dd-wrt v24-2

Build 02-23-2015-r26339 uploaded
If you get an issue with this build; then you need to reset.

Last edited:
question

Build 02-23-2015-r26339 uploaded
If you get an issue with this build; then you need to reset.

Saifooz

Are the no light for 2.4 band, cannot change channel on 5 GH band and no beam forming on 5 GH channel fixed?

CC

Last edited:
Saifooz

Are the no light for 2.4 band, cannot change channel on 5 GH band and no beam forming on 5 GH channel fixed?

CC

I've updated to the latest build, beamforming and channel change on 5Ghz, no changes, still cant change channel or enable beamforming.

I've updated to the latest build, beamforming and channel change on 5Ghz, no changes, still cant change channel or enable beamforming.

It may help if you give a step by step outline in point form what you do to reset the router to factory defaults and get it going?

There seems to be something that you might be missing - or, the hardware is really kaput.

It may help if you give a step by step outline in point form what you do to reset the router to factory defaults and get it going?

There seems to be something that you might be missing - or, the hardware is really kaput.

Do you know something I dont? Do you have beamforming working on your router in 5ghz using dd-wrt?

Last edited:
No, but others might.

The less info you and others give, the less chance of anyone seeing a correlation.

The less info you and others give, the less chance of anyone seeing a correlation.

I'm confused, what kind of information do you want that has not already been posted in this thread?

Last edited:
When we upgrade, for the moment we need to

Code:
Logon via telnet and run: 

erase nvram 
reboot 

setup the router again, don't use a backup, and check

This came from Kong.

WHY because we may still be using the old code and this clears it.

When we upgrade, for the moment we need to

Code:
Logon via telnet and run: 

erase nvram 
reboot 

setup the router again, don't use a backup, and check

This came from Kong.

WHY because we may still be using the old code and this clears it.

Did this fix it for you?

Did this fix it for you?

I have not loaded todays build, I posted my findings of the last build and since I am the only one posting on the dd-wrt and have not tried it yet they will never know for us using rt-ac87's.

But we need to erase for now or we may still be running old and new code.
I just got home from work, after getting called back, I want to load but wife is watching dish on ipad.:(

Give me a bit and I will edit this post with results, I have to get it done.

Last edited:
I have not loaded todays build, I posted my findings of the last build and since I am the only one posting on the dd-wrt and have not tried it yet they will never know for us using rt-ac87's.

But we need to erase for now or we may still be running old and new code.
I just got home from work, after getting called back, I want to load but wife is watching dish on ipad.:(

Give me a bit and I will edit this post with results, I have to get it done.

No problem, I just didnt want to do it if you already tried.

this was what I posted and found
wl0: Feb 23 2015 05:53:16 version 7.14.89.21 (r524987)
I don't know yet what to type to find 5GHz version

Build 26339 - Previous 26332

RT-AC87R - primary router/gateway
asus_rt-ac87u-firmware.trx
2.4Ghz (NG-mixed) with 20+20Mhz channel width: OK
Wireless Channel on 2.4GHz : OK
Beamforming is on 2.4GHz: ON but not tested yet
Guest-Vlan 2.4Ghz: not tested yet
2.4GHz LED : not working

5Ghz (AC/N-Mixed) with 80+80Mhz channel width: OK
Wireless Channel on 5GHz : Can not select (auto only)
Beamforming on 5GHz: Can not enable
5GHz LED : OK

Telnet: OK
Port Forward: OK
USB 2.0 not tested
USB 3.0 : OK
DNLA Server: OK
NAS Samba shared drive: OK (read, write not tested)
PS4 : NO LAG (so far) OK

After flashing "reset to default settings"
erase nvram--- several times after flash then reboot

UPDATE1:
update
I woke up this morning and found on my iphone IOS 8.1.3 latest , on 5GHz
I was connected but was getting no internet, I turned wifi of and then on (on the iphone) and worked but my ipad and other iphone was working so far, I have not experienced this on 01-20-2015-r25974/ build but after 4-5 days was gettings reboots on that build.

Aslo My log shows this

Code:
Feb 24 02:24:57 DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Feb 24 02:47:46 DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Feb 24 02:59:07 DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address 
Feb 24 03:00:22 DD-WRT kern.warn kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address 
Feb 24 04:59:55 DD-WRT user.debug : ttraff: data for 23-2-2015 commited to nvram

Last edited: