What's new

DD-wrt vs asus firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SuperMiguel

Occasional Visitor
So i just installed DD-wrt on mine yesterday and it seems to give me better speeds, wireless and wired... Any one has any experience with the dd-wrt firmware for this router?

So i just installed DD-wrt on mine yesterday and it seems to give me better speeds, wireless and wired... Any one has any experience with the dd-wrt firmware for this router?
I have not tried DD-WRT yet. I did flash it to the router I am now using as a media bridge but I never used it as my router. I don't see any need as I am fine with 354.29 Beta. I stream HD video and I just downloaded The Lucky One from DirecTV's on demand service. When I went back to my bedroom to check on the download it was finished about 40 minutes later so it must have download a 2 hour HD movie in about 30 minutes streaming from my router to a Linksys/Cisco WUMC710 AC Media Bridge. I have a Samsung BluRay player connected to that media bridge also and Netflix/Hulu never buffer. I don't need any of the advanced features on DD-WRT so I figure why bother? If it ain't broke then don't fix it, right?

Yep - I ran it for a week or so whilst I was troubleshooting a radio issue. Seemed to be fine, but to be honest probably no faster than the latest ASUS-Merlin beta build (which has the beta wireless drivers).

The one thing it was useful for, was doing more specific VLAN port configurations, but its a very specific use case.

For me the missing functionality of AI-cloud was the killer, and I had this nasty problem with some wireless clients using 802.11n/WPA2-AES.

Certain specific clients (normally embedded things like wireless webcams etc) failed to authenticate using AES and I had to back them down to WPA or TKIP. I should add that this isn't a specific issue with the 66U build, I think its a more generic issue on the WPA scheme in DD-WRT as I had the same issue when running it a while ago on a WNDR3700.

Dont get me wrong, Brainslayer does a great job on the code - but there are always some niggling things in there that prevent it being a painless experience.

Rather than being a completely different software set, the Merlin build is basically a 'patched' ASUS build.

Merlin takes the ASUS opensource firmware and fixes niggling little bugs, enhances / updates features etc. The key difference is that its ASUS core under the hood.

I strongly recommend it as the best of both worlds.. (active development cycles, but vendor provided firmware)

Release info here;

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!