What's new

Deciding between Asus RT-AC68U and Netgear R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus RT-AC68U or Netgear R7800

• Asus RT-AC68U - € 125

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netgear R7800 - € 150

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Frankz

New Around Here
Hello SNB, been lurking the site for about 2 weeks, now that I've narrowed down the possible routers I would want to buy I wanted to ask your advice /thoughts on this.

I've got 2 routers chosen primarily on their current price/performance ratio. Price is important for me.

Asus AC68U - 125€
Netgear R7800 - 150€

Reasons for getting a router;
- I'm still using the ISP modem/router combo, ISP offers very limited router config.
- Current wifi range is not optimal, frequent disconnects or very slow connection on the spots I frequently use it at
- Current router shirts itself when I open my torrent client(700 torrents), it'll make my internet lag for about 20 minutes before it recovers, I assume it's not able to handle the amount of connections(ip table filling up?).
- When downloading from FTP server at max download speed(200/20Mbps connection) the ISP router sometimes reboots itself. I'm still not sure why it does this.
- I play FPS games and will definitely want to make use of QoS, there's always someone in the house streaming from Netflix or DLNA server, and files being downloaded in the background from ftp . I sometimes have to separate some of these tasks so that the other one doesnt 'suffer' too badly.

So which of these routers would you guys recommend, I'd love to be able to save 25€ by taking the AC68U, but it would feel like I'm missing out by not picking the R7800 as theres such a strong community behind it and will probably stand the test of time more so than the Asus router?
In general I'm leaning towards the R7800 but then I'm questioning whether I really need it over the less expensive AC68U?

Thanks in advance!
Frankz

Last edited:
the R7800 is definitely much newer and higher performance than the R68U. The QoS is pretty good too.
25 euro seems like a smaller price differential than here in the US. I would jump on the R7800.
If you could get a reform 68U for like 60 euro, then it might be a different conversation!

You'll still need some sort of modem from your ISP though. No guarantee that wouldn't crash (my cable modem dies once in a while).

Hello SNB, been lurking the site for about 2 weeks, now that I've narrowed down the possible routers I would want to buy I wanted to ask your advice /thoughts on this.

I've got 2 routers chosen primarily on their current price/performance ratio. Price is important for me.

Asus AC68U - 125€
Netgear R7800 - 150€

Reasons for getting a router;
- I'm still using the ISP modem/router combo, ISP offers very limited router config.
- Current wifi range is not optimal, frequent disconnects or very slow connection on the spots I frequently use it at
- Current router shirts itself when I open my torrent client(700 torrents), it'll make my internet lag for about 20 minutes before it recovers, I assume it's not able to handle the amount of connections(ip table filling up?).
- When downloading from FTP server at max download speed(200/20Mbps connection) the ISP router sometimes reboots itself. I'm still not sure why it does this.
- I play FPS games and will definitely want to make use of QoS, there's always someone in the house streaming from Netflix or DLNA server, and files being downloaded in the background from ftp . I sometimes have to separate some of these tasks so that the other one doesnt 'suffer' too badly.

So which of these routers would you guys recommend, I'd love to be able to save 25€ by taking the AC68U, but it would feel like I'm missing out by not picking the R7800 as theres such a strong community behind it and will probably stand the test of time more so than the Asus router?
In general I'm leaning towards the R7800 but then I'm questioning whether I really need it over the less expensive AC68U?

Thanks in advance!
Frankz
For my use case which is basic firewall and port forwarding plus wireless, the R7800 is the winner by far. I cannot speak for QoS which I do not use, but never has the R7800 struggled with managing connections due to torrents. The range and throughput over wireless is also much better. My only complaint would be regarding the firmware. Asus may not be perfect, but at least you can expect years of support for the firmware of a mid to high-end router. Netgear seems willing to drop support for products much sooner.
The RT-AC86U would be your better option from Asus if you really want something comparable to the R7800.

the R7800 is definitely much newer and higher performance than the R68U. The QoS is pretty good too.
25 euro seems like a smaller price differential than here in the US. I would jump on the R7800.
If you could get a reform 68U for like 60 euro, then it might be a different conversation!

You'll still need some sort of modem from your ISP though. No guarantee that wouldn't crash (my cable modem dies once in a while).
Thanks for the advice :), I managed to pickup a used 68U yesterday which I'm quite happy about. The R7800 would have been nice but I think for the money I saved and being able to use Merlin firmware with all the features that it has I can't complain.

& thanks for your response as well SwampKracker(only saw it after I posted this :))

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!