What's new

Dell Wireless 1520 vs Intel 3160

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephen

Occasional Visitor
The Dell Wireless 1520 is 2x2, but not AC, and the Intel AC 3160 is 1x1. With an AC router, which one would have better range

Don't know about range, but if your main concern is speed on 5GHz., the AC model should connect at 433Mbps on 5GHz., as opposed to the 2x2 wireless-n model at 300Mbps on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

My desktop has a 1x1 wireless-AC adapter, connects at about 150Mbps on 2.4GHz., and 433Mbps on 5GHz.

Of course, the actual throughput that you get will be less than the connection speed, and that needs to be measured at your place *smile*.

I generally use external USB adapters, and have one (Asus USB-AC56) that connects on 5GHz. at 867Mbps, fine for me. I use 5GHz. as much as possible, so having a wireless-AC router is great.

I normally like Intel WiFi cards - as they tend to have decent drivers, and they live well in a corporate environment.

But if you are limited to the two choices, I would suggest the Dell card - mainly due to that when you're on 802.11N networks, you will get better performance (2 spatial streams), but also a bit better range, as the second radio chain has 3dB additional processing gain.

Single Stream - never really a good idea in 802.11n/ac in any band class.

BTW- second the recommendation on the USB-56AC Asus dongle, I have one as well - good performer in Windows - Linux support is a pain, but for most folks, this isn't an issue. The only downside on the USB-56AC, it's pretty big for a USB card... also has a high-gain external antenna which can help in some use cases (it's not required, but is bundled with the card).