What's new

Dlink Dir-825 Request for Product Review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DIR-825 in test

D-Link sent a DIR-825 and DWA-160 B1. I have started it on a stress test with two clients (DWA-160 A1 on 2.4 GHz radio; DWA-160 B1 on 5 GHz radio) and will let it run for at least a few hours.

A few quick observations:
- Router came with 1.01 firmware loaded
- QoS is enabled by default and is set to auto-detect uplink speed
- Both radios are defaulted to 20MHz bandwidth operation

For the test, I set both radios to Auto 20/40. I'm getting around 65 Mbps downlink on the 5GHz radio and 36 Mbps on the 2.4GHz radio, running IxChariot throughput script w/ TCP/IP.

SharePort is basically a USB server that requires you to run a client app. So it's not like the print or drive sharing on the Linksys routers.

Ahh, now I am not sure what to do.

I was waiting on this as the 855 never showed up, but with the initial results not looking too promising, I am wondering if I should save the cash and get a single band 655 or just bite the bullet and get a dual band 825 and hope it will get better with firmware updates, settings etc..

D.

If you don't need dual-band (simultaneous or not), go with the 655. It has been out for awhile and so has had time for bugs to be shaken out. Cheaper too.

Am I confused or something?

Isn't Wireless N theoretically supposed to be 300mbps? Or are we talking different terms here?

If 65mbps is reality, why would I want to upgrade a Wireless G router that is 54mbps?

As a side note, isn't the DAP-1555 a dual band, simultanious extender? This would allow it to operate using both of the SSID's of the DIR-825, correct? And the DWA-160, is it only dual band, but not simultanious, so you pick either 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Isn't Wireless N theoretically supposed to be 300mbps? Or are we talking different terms here?
Both the 300 Mbps and 54 Mbps are maximum link (PHY) rates. They are the equivalent of 100 Mbps for Ethernet.

But unlike Ethernet, wireless has a great deal of variability and protocol overhead that significantly reduces actual, usable throughput. I suggest you read through How To Choose the Right Wireless LAN for You .

If 65mbps is reality, why would I want to upgrade a Wireless G router that is 54mbps?
The 65 Mbps is actual throughput (I think). Standard 802.11g has a best case actual throughput of around 20 Mbps. So upgrading to draft 11n can provide around a 3X speed increase in this case.

As a side note, isn't the DAP-1555 a dual band, simultanious extender? This would allow it to operate using both of the SSID's of the DIR-825, correct? And the DWA-160, is it only dual band, but not simultanious, so you pick either 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
The DAP-1522 and DAP-1555 are dual band, but single radio. And dual-band clients or wireless bridges connect on only one band at a time.

Okay, so that makes since now. I assume adding encryption reduces that throughput rate as well.

Regarding the DAP-1555 and DAP-1522. I bought the DAP-1555 under the assumption that it was dual radio, because on the product page, it says, "2.4GHz and 5.0GHz," whereas the DAP-1522 says, "2.4GHz or 5.0GHz." I think this is misleading, and if it is true that both of these only have one radio built into them, then what is the difference between the two units, other than that one has external antennas, and the other one has internal antennas?

If that is the case, there may be no need for me to have a dual radio router, unless I want a dedicated connection between my living room SageTV HD Extender (on the DAP-1555) and SageTV HTPC (hard wired to the router of choice), and have another connection for use on the office PC (DWA-160). Of course, I also have a SageTV SD Extender, but that is running off of a Buffalo Wireless G Ethernet Extender, so it will need to be on 2.4GHz to begin with... I guess I could force all media to be on 2.4GHz, and dedicate the 5.0GHz to the office PC, but it seems kind of like a waste.

Thanks Tim for clarifying, and I'm sorry this got a little off topic. I guess I should have done a little more research before buying both the DWA-160 and DAP-1555. I could always upgrade the Buffalo Extender to a DAP-1522 I guess.

Regarding the DAP-1555 and DAP-1522. I bought the DAP-1555 under the assumption that it was dual radio, because on the product page, it says, "2.4GHz and 5.0GHz," whereas the DAP-1522 says, "2.4GHz or 5.0GHz."
Manufacturers do not make it easy for consumers, I agree. That's why I do what I do here on SmallNetBuilder.

Unless you see "simultaneous dual band" or "dual radio" in a product description, assume it has one radio.

See this article for a summary of the differences between the DAP-1522 and 1555.

Ah, wish I would have found your site earlier! Thanks for the article links. Also one thing I really enjoy about your site, that others do not do, or find much value in, is having printable article links. I don't always like to read things online, and it is nice to be able to print them off in one step, if I need to.

If you don't need dual-band (simultaneous or not), go with the 655. It has been out for awhile and so has had time for bugs to be shaken out. Cheaper too.

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure if I NEED the 5GHz band but as I live in an apartment complex with a LOT of people using g routers I thought the 5GHz band might be useful in making sure I don't get any interference (be pretty much the only one using it in the area.. for now that is).

But, if that will not significantly improve things for me then I should just save the cash and get the DIR-655.

I do need to buy one as my last router just bit the dust.

D.

A crowded 2.4GHz band is a good reason to move to 5GHz. Just be aware that your range will be reduced because 5GHz signals experience higher attenuation when they pass through walls.

You could always buy a dual-band single radio draft 11n router and an inexpensive 11g router to cover 2.4GHz.

Tim,

You got one great! Now some real testing on 825! Can you compare it with the DIR-655 and DGL-4500. Thanks in advance!

1. Gig connections (although you have PCI-E and not PCI)
2. Wireless G and N signal strength
3. Max Connections Peers

Since the DIR-655 comes with 3x 2dbi ANT what are the DIR-825 2x ?dbi ANT?

USB I still get this idea it's not going to be what we all want from USB, print server, USB-NAS or USB-External HDD server. Pipe dream or idea!

Wireless Test results are in the Charts

I finished testing and posted the results in the Wireless Charts (select the Open Air benchmarks).

Not very impressive with a DWA-160 B1 client.

Full review is coming, but there isn't a lot more to say since the routing features are essentially the same as most other of the gigabit LAN D-Links.

I just got both the DIR-855 and DIR-825 (I didn't know the 855 would be available).
So, both are still in the shrink wrap - so one can be returned.

thiggins: I found an interesting lead on improving the DWA-160 B1 client performance over on the DLink Tech site.
Seems the radio maker has a new driver on its website that DLink has not gotten around to posting yet!
Here is the link: LINK
and
RALINK

On the down side, no mater what DLink claims, still no update for DIR-855 firmware!

thiggins: I found an interesting lead on improving the DWA-160 B1 client performance over on the DLink Tech site.
Seems the radio maker has a new driver on its website that DLink has not gotten around to posting yet!
Here is the link: LINK
and
RALINK
Thanks for the tip. But I review only with vendor released and supported drivers and firmware.

So is there anything wrong with A1 hardware on the DWA-160? That happens to be the one I have.
I ran some same-room tests with the A1 and its latest driver and it seemed ok. I'll cover that in the review.

I'm testing with the B1 since it is the latest.

So if we wanted high performance dual band simultaneous, buying two DIR-628's would be the best option?

So if we wanted high performance dual band simultaneous, buying two DIR-628's would be the best option?
Not really. That product had high throughput variation.
I'd probably do a DIR-655 for 2.4GHz and maybe a DAP-1522 for 5GHz.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!