What's new

DNS Filtering & Avast Antivirus

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mattbooty

New Around Here
Using the DNS Filtering on the router and setting it to OpenDNS works for MOST things, but Avast virus updates are failing. If I turn it off on the router and set the DNS on the PC to be openDNS servers, the updates work fine, so I'm pretty confident it isn't opendns or avast at fault.

Any thoughts? I could turn it off on the router and set up DHCP to hand out the opendns servers, but i like the idea that i can granularly change what devices have what filtering (or no filtering).

Thanks!

On Firmware 380.66_4

Maybe Avast is using some anti DNS hijacking technology to prevent what DNSFilter does - redirecting to a select DNS. If that's the case, then unless there's a way to disable that in Avast, I doubt there's anything that could be done about it.