What's new

Does a router need to be rebooted periodically?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

If you ask this question of Google, you will get answers that say yes and answers that say no. Given the level of expertise on this forum, I will ask the experts! If the answer is yes, how often? FWIW I am using the AC-66U B1 with the latest Asus firmware (21045).

The correct answer is "maybe" :D.

As with any server you shouldn't need to reboot it if everything is working as it's meant to. However, things rarely work as they're meant to.

I've had router's that haven't been rebooted for years. I've also had server's that had software bugs that required that they were rebooted on a daily or weekly basis (until the bugs were fixed).

EDIT: Probably the best thing to do is ask yourself the question "Am I experiencing any issues with the router?" If the answer is "No" then you don't need to do anything.

Reboot if you think performance has degraded , devices getting disconnected for no reason etc. , do it when it will cause minimum disruption to your users , (less grief for you) , but if not experiencing any issues leave it. Caveat always keep your firmware up to date for Bug fixes/security issues

If you have to reboot a router when nothing else has changed, then something is wrong. This is not normal and you should consider replacing it for another model, if you cannot find out why it is happening.

Tip: change router model - not just unit - if you have to replace it, and do it early so it falls within vendor and manufacturer return period. Even if you start from a bad unit, model or manufacturer, you will hit on a stable (enough) sample with this method no matter where you started from.

So, are you actually having stability issues with the Asus RT-AC66U B1?

You'll see a lot of people on here say they have scheduled in regular reboots and nobody bats an eyelid ... but I think most would agree you shouldn't have to and it's something you will only do out of necessity.

My answer would be do it if you have to. If it's an issue that occurs inside of scheduling, fix it or replace it. Don't let it inconvenience you.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Usually rebooting something to fix a problem is just masking the underlying problem and only addresses the symptoms.
Which may include having enough money to buy a better device. We all know plenty of buggy chipsets, firmwares and wireless implementations and rarely do we have the skills to address these underlying problems.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

My answer would be do it if you have to. If it's an issue that occurs inside of scheduling, fix it or replace it. Don't let it inconvenience you.

I bought the AC66UB1 to replace a TP-Link with 2 year old firmware and no sign of a forthcoming update. Only had it about 3 weeks but so far it's been just fine. I really like the GUI and the ease of updating firmware (the one I bought was refurbished and the firmware was 2 revisions old.) If/when Merlin catches up to the latest firmware, I will probably give that a try even though my simple home network doesn't need anything the stock firmware can't provide.

If you ask this question of Google, you will get answers that say yes and answers that say no. Given the level of expertise on this forum, I will ask the experts! If the answer is yes, how often? FWIW I am using the AC-66U B1 with the latest Asus firmware (21045).
I have a 66 B-1 that has been running for 2 months with no reboot , only time it gets a reboot is for FW upgrades .

Hi, my 3200 needs a reboot aprox every 3 weeks. there are some memory and connection leaks that end up causing it to malfunction or hang if left for more than that.. even with a pagefile activated. Not that this annoys me. It is the best combination I found of firmware/funtionality. Besides I am using it quite intensively with about 40+ different devices, and several functions activated (samba, QoS, vpn, media server, IPTV, parental controls, trendmicro stuff, transmission, and so on...).

Of course I would be happier if this reboot was not necessary, but all in all it is quite expensive (in money AND time) to tune these systems and quite difficult to reach an 'enough' level of stability in complex environments, so I settle with what I have.

My RT66U B1 has been up for 14 days and for me it is a long time! I like to try new things so am always changing some setting. Currently have a swap file on a thumb drive with stock Asus firmware as I use a 1TB external drive to store and stream videos. Would like to have SMB2 on the stock firmware but may never get it. Have a couple of AC68U's in a small business that have been up for 60 days.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Reactions: kfp
Hi, my 3200 needs a reboot aprox every 3 weeks. there are some memory and connection leaks that end up causing it to malfunction or hang if left for more than that.. even with a pagefile activated. Not that this annoys me. It is the best combination I found of firmware/funtionality. Besides I am using it quite intensively with about 40+ different devices, and several functions activated (samba, QoS, vpn, media server, IPTV, parental controls, trendmicro stuff, transmission, and so on...).

Of course I would be happier if this reboot was not necessary, but all in all it is quite expensive (in money AND time) to tune these systems and quite difficult to reach an 'enough' level of stability in complex environments, so I settle with what I have.
I had one of my 3200 run for 3 months no reboot , but did not run Trend micro ,just ran as a plain router

Routers should run non-stop if the code is good and the power company doesn't kill it. My router runs unless my power goes out. My APC went out and I have not fixed it. I think I am getting rid of my rack with my rack mounted APC.

I had one of my 3200 run for 3 months no reboot , but did not run Trend micro ,just ran as a plain router

Hi, I think all that adds complexity helps to kick the leakings in my case. Trendmicro does not seem like having a very big impact in this case. Right now I have transmission stopped and can see a much reduced leaking ... we will see in some weeks for how long it stays up this time.

Routers should run non-stop if the code is good and the power company doesn't kill it. My router runs unless my power goes out. My APC went out and I have not fixed it. I think I am getting rid of my rack with my rack mounted APC.

I fully agree on how routers 'should' behave. But I am also a programmer and now for a fact that software (in this case firmware) is not perfect and 'leaks' and other minor 'corruptions' can happen that tend to make it advisable to cleanup from time to time.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!