What's new

Download goes at full speeds, speed goes down to 0, then restarts to full speeds. Whats going on?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

awaisuk

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am having a weird problem.

Lets say I am downloading a large file, it will download at full speeds of my internet, but then after a minute or so, the speed will go down to almost 0, and then it would go back to full speeds. The same process repeats until the download is finished.

I am downloading using WIFI AC. It is not related to the WIFI dropping as when the speeds goes down to 0, I am able to still browse.

This same problem happens over Ethernet as well.

The thing is, when the speed goes down to 0, the internet is still very much active. I can browser, and run speed tests on speedtest website.

Is it the hard drive that might be causing the problem, where it is not able to store the file when downloading at fast speeds? I have a HD, and no SSD.

Or is this not related to the HDD?

Any help appreciate, I have been trying to figure this out for awhile.

Unless your connection is Gigabit, it is unlikely that you are maxing out your HDD.

You could run a packet capture (Wireshark or tcpdump) and see exactly what is happening at the network level. Errors will be in red (iirc).

Figure out how to check the logs of both your router and the PC running the download.

There are so many possibilities that we should really narrow our focus before making wild guesses.

Having very similar issues except when the speed on mine drops to zero, my computer can't access local network or the internet. However all other devices on the network remain alive. Outlined in detail below:

The Issue: When using download accelerator/managers such as Down Them All or Turbo Download Manager, connection is intermittent (upon reaching peak speed of anywhere between 6-14MBps) and then drops to zero, resumes, then speed climbs up and down like this until the download is finished. Internet / network is inaccessible via this computer only, when speed drops to zero. Networking / wifi / internet remains in tact and can be accessed and used by other devices while the local machine is having this issue.

When did it start?: When I recently introduced 802.11AC routers into my home network. I’ve encountered this issue on three different models / brands. (Netgear R6400 returned after experiencing this issue + Netgear R6250 returned after having same issue as the first and most recently I have installed an Apple Airport Extreme current version, which seemed the most stable at first and is now showcasing the same intermittent speed drops). Was not happening at all with my Netgear N900 WNDR4500 Dual Band Wireless N router.

Setup: The computer having this isolated issue is a Mid-2010 iMac 27” 2.7ghz Quad Core i5. Issue is not found on my late 2014 Mac Mini, which is equipped with 802.11AC wireless. Modem is a Motorola SBG6580 with Nat turned off so that it isn’t acting as a router also. Router, as stated before, is Apple Airport Express, current version, with a Mac Mini and WD MyCloud wired in. There are also 2 apple tvs, a Samsung Tablet and 2 iPhones that connect wirelessly on and off to the system without issue.

What I’ve tried to do: Thinking at first that this was some type of incompatibility issue between the newer wireless AC routers and the wireless N card in my IMac, I went about switching routers after trying a number of troubleshooting measures.
-Changed my DNS to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

-Lowered Fragmentation and Threshold values to recommended values by Netgear (Which dropped my download speeds to less than half, increased avg ping time to 200+ms vs 15-20ms, prior to change) seemed to stabilize the connection without dropping, but makes the whole upgrading to an AC router Nil, if performance is limited that severely.

-Changed MTU from 1500 (to 1453 and 1400 respectively)

-Deleted various wifi related plists in systemprefs in OS X.

-setup a new wifi from network preferences

-removed the whole SystemConfiguration directory

-killed discoveryd

Also tried changing number of segments per download and loading last kilobytes first in Down Them All Manager preferences. Again, running the same process with identical downloads and software on my AC equipped Mac Mini, I am unable to replicate the glitch, both wired or wireless.

Why do I think the issue is in Firefox: Upon figuring out that, if I quit firefox once I notice the speed start to drop after reaching peak download speed (thusly canceling the downloads in the Download Manager/accelerator) the connection stays alive. I am able to use the internet just fine in another browser. If I let the download continue until it drops to zero, the connection is dead momentarily…unable to use local network or internet for the duration of it being at zero. Again it will resume automatically (anywhere between a few seconds to up to a minute+ in some case) and the wifi connection itself is never actually disconnected. If I close before it drops to zero and I promptly reopen the window, the download will resume and the cycle will continue. This never happened when using my wireless N router, because perhaps it was never able to achieve the speed/throughput that these AC routers are putting out, which thusly maybe overloading my system? That’s the only layman explanation I can think of (I admittedly do not know any networking speak or the technical explanation beyond what I’ve explained), either that, or my network card (802.11n) simply can’t maintain a steady connection at peak speed with these 802.11ac routers. Over the 802.11ac, I can even do high speed file transfers over my local network consistently without a hiccup, so my only hunch left (save for going out and buying a new AC Wireless adapter) is that something in the way firefox and these download accelerators are operating are causing it to get messed up in a way that my computer cannot handle, despite it not being a lightweight in the performance dept. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
I had that problem once with an Intel 7265AC. I had to disable some settings in Device Manager, I think it was that setting Intel recently added to improve performance (forgot the exact name, sorry).

It's fine when connected directly to the modem. Again, unable to replicate the issue on any other computer on the network, wired or wireless, just this IMac. I don't know if this is helpful, but when connecting to my old netgear n900 802.11n @ 5ghz, which I've connected as an access point from the airport extreme, connection never drops down to zero. It'll fluctuate between 1.5MBps and 8MBps but stays on avg between 4-6 and never drops completely.
The speeds on the AC are undoubtedly faster but the instability is maddening! What could be wrong?!

I had similar issues when I installed an Intel 7260ac on another laptop, I had to disable "UAPSD", which fixed it for me. Try to disable "Packet Coalesing" as well to troubleshoot. Both of those settings are in Wifi Adapters -> Wifi Properties -> Configure (If you are using Windows)

For MAC see if this helps:
http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/

There were numerous threads including one masssive one on Intel's support forums regarding issues with the Intel 7260ac.

Last edited:
Just an update. Yosemite HAS to be the problem. I just installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp on this computer. Unable to replicate the glitch. Ran 4 concurrent peak speed downloads in Down Them All, with a max total download speed of about 10MBps. Stayed very consistent, never dipped below 6MBps unlike the erratic behavior within Yosemite. I'm going to update Yosemite tonight and see if it fixes it. I'm on 10.10 btw.

Just an update. Yosemite HAS to be the problem. I just installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp on this computer. Unable to replicate the glitch. Ran 4 concurrent peak speed downloads in Down Them All, with a max total download speed of about 10MBps. Stayed very consistent, never dipped below 6MBps unlike the erratic behavior within Yosemite. I'm going to update Yosemite tonight and see if it fixes it. I'm on 10.10 btw.

Likely NOT yosemite (or El Cap for that matter) - likely a Browser Extension (download accelerator) that is causing the problem..

Keep in mind that running Win10 (even under bootcamp) - it's a different browser installation.

Disable your browser extensions (selectively) in MacOS, and perhaps even try different browsers...

Isn't there some infamous overly aggressive power management done to Wifi interfaces in Yosemite?

Isn't there some infamous overly aggressive power management done to Wifi interfaces in Yosemite?

No.. not on the devices I have at least (MB Air 2014, MB Pro 2012).

There were issues with pre-10.10.4 with discoveryd just basically fubaring things up, since resolved with 10.10.4 and El Cap...