What's new

Downloads to be hosted on Mediafire from now on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Staff member
Howdy folks,

Github decided to stop offering hosting files for download. That would mean that all the download bandwidth would have to come from my personal website. Seeing how this is currently reaching over 100 GB/month (in addition to the downloads coming from the Github site), I fear my hosting provider might not like this too much.

After comparing various hosting services, I decided that from now on, I will publish all my releases on Mediafire. I got a paid account (thanks to everyone who have donated through Paypal so far!), so downloads should not display any ads, and will not bother you with frustrating Captchas either. Direct downloads will be possible, including using download managers.

Mediafire will also make it easier for me to sort out downloads in folders.

I am currently in the process of uploading the recent releases to it, once this is done I will publish the new download URL.

If you think this might pose a problem for some of you (is Mediafire blocked in some countries, for instance?) then please let me know, so I can look at an alternative solution.

Hello All - :)

Christmas is coming and it is time to say "THANK YOU" to Merlin -
please go to his page http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
and click on PayPal Donation - I am sure he will appreciate a small $ donation
that's needed for further development and web hosting related fees/payments.

Merry Christmas to all!

Thanks greg :)

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: there is no need to worry about bandwidth costs at this time. Past donations should sufficiently cover expenses for a long time to come, so there is no longer any danger of this project becoming homeless :)

Thanks greg :)

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: there is no need to worry about bandwidth costs at this time. Past donations should sufficiently cover expenses for a long time to come, so there is no longer any danger of this project becoming homeless :)

I will be stubborn: IT IS TIME TO GIVE :)
If there is no need for a $ bandwidth related expenses -
how about every one of us using Merlin's firmware buys him a beer!
C'mon people :) Let's all donate to this great guy who is always here for us and answers our questions within minutes. You can't even get close to getting the same from Asus - on which we all spent
hundreds of dollars.
Merry Christmas!

Hi Merlin, I saw your post and thought I would sign up to let you know that sourceforge offers free use of their mirror network to open source projects. It seems like this would be a better fit than using mediafire.

I will be stubborn: IT IS TIME TO GIVE :)
If there is no need for a $ bandwidth related expenses -
how about every one of us using Merlin's firmware buys him a beer!
C'mon people :) Let's all donate to this great guy who is always here for us and answers our questions within minutes. You can't even get close to getting the same from Asus - on which we all spent
hundreds of dollars.
Merry Christmas!
Agreed. I just donated to Merlin for his efforts. Anyone else who is regularly using his firmware offerings should also donate. I know times are tough but a $5 or $10 donation should be within everyone's means. If one could afford to donate more, say enough for a case of beer, that's OK too. :)

Hi Merlin, I saw your post and thought I would sign up to let you know that sourceforge offers free use of their mirror network to open source projects. It seems like this would be a better fit than using mediafire.

Sourceforge uses SVN. I prefer using Git for revision control.

Sourceforge uses SVN. I prefer using Git for revision control.

The point is you don't have to use their SCM to use their mirror network. You can use Github for your project repo, then upload your release files to sourceforge. I know of a couple projects that do it this way. Handbrake hosts their own SVN repo, but uploads all their releases to sourceforge for distribution. VideoLAN hosts their own Git server and downloads for VLC, but mirrors releases via rsync to sourceforge.

Also, sourceforge does now offer Git access, but IMO Github has a 1000x better interface.

Last edited:
Unsticking this, as people should be aware of the change by now.

Fairly happy with Mediafire I might add. They got some interesting statistic reports. For instance, Russia is the country where Asuswrt-Merlin for the RT-N66U is the most popular, followed by the USA. For the RT-AC66U it's the opposite.

Either way, kinda surprised at the popularity of this firmware in Russia compared to other countries. Looks like Asus routers might be quite popular over there - fewer competitors for quality routers than elsewhere perhaps?

Happy holidays everyone and a happy new year!

Last edited: