What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3006.102.1 is now available for Wifi 7 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mesh as following
Main Router AX11000 Pro running Merlin 3004.388.7_rog
Second BE96U running Merlin 3006.102.1
Connected by Cable Cat 6E 10Gb
On power loss, AX11000 reboot normal with all wifi working perfect, however BE96U rebooted only to 2.4, 5Gz not awailable after power loss.
Had to manually redo the all network to restore wifi 5 on BE96U

You are not alone, many of us are struggling with AiMesh, give ASUS some time to workout the bugs.
I may as well add my expierence here. I'm using a similar setup with AiMesh with a GT-BE98 Pro as the primary running Merlin 3006.102.1

Secondary is a GT-AXE11000 running Merlin 300.4.388.8_beta1 and it only ever connects using 5GHz with the wireless backhaul when I'm not using Ethernet. No matter how close the devices are to each other, and even if I select "6GHz First" from the AiMesh screen. It never respects or even attempts to connect to 6GHz.
Looking at the menu, it never even broadcasts the 6GHz radio on the AXE11000.

1720848438527.png
1720848444722.png

Doing the little nvram trick to load the WebUI on the node to checkout the settings manually, I see this setup as the 6Ghz Network SSID:

1720848535901.png

Why is the 6GHz network on the node using the network SSID of the 5GHz network on the primary? it should it not be matching the 6GHz radio? And not the 5GHz radio?
Also noticed the _dwb at the end of the SSID for the wireless backhaul, even though it's set to use WAN currently as seen in the above photos. Trying to save gives me errors about the SSID being too long, even though AiMesh worked with the same SSID previously.

The nvram values on the node show no 6GHz SSID:

1720848801995.png

I tried using WL commands to manually enable the radio and set the SSID which worked, but devices still wont connect to the 6GHz radio.
I have MLO disabled and even tried disabling WiFi 7 on one of the 6GHz radios of the BE98 Pro to "match" the AXE11000's 6GHz radio, still the same issues of the radio not broadcasting and even enabling it with WL commands results in no devices connecting to it.

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 radio on

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 up

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 ssid "My6GHzNetwork"

Code:
wl -i wl2.1 status

Seems to be general issues around AiMesh so far with the 6Ghz radios of AXE models especially.
I've seen lots of reports on the forums of issues as well such as here:

1) Will not respect AI Mesh rules set by the user as to optimal path for mesh to mesh connections! it will constantly try to choose the "Worst signal path and override the user"

The AI mesh area is definitely not working correctly as it's not showing the 6ghz via ethernet backhaul and also it will mess up the names of the bands and overwrite them causing headaches.

It's early days, I'm hoping with future firmware updates to the older AX/AXE routers AiMesh will stabilize. (Even on the 3004 codebase)
Edit: Funny enough, in comparison, my Gnuton AX92U so far seems to be working fine with it's dual AX 5GHz radios.

Last edited:
Curious as to the reason for the RT-BE96U as the replacement, and not the BE98 Pro?
I have no use for a second 6 GHz band, so I prefer to reserve the GT-BE98_PRO for dedicated development/testing duties.

Should the World be expecting to see RMerlin FW for the BE96U?
It was already released three weeks ago...

can you explain how yo login to Node, without braking mesh ?

There is little point, most settings are unavailable, for example this is the "professional" menu:

1720909630109.png

I consider it mostly a view-only operation, I wouldn't recommend trying to play with many settings in the WebUI of the node.

can you explain how yo login to Node, without braking mesh ?
You can only do two things with the AIMesh node,
1. USB Applications
2. Switch control
As in the attached snapshot.
Under AIMesh select the AIMesh node then click on the management
Then you can click on USB applications or the Switch control to login and change settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 1.26.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 1.26.12 AM.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
No need to unplug the power, you can just use the power button as well, but that shouldn't make any difference, your procedure looks fine to me.

Sometimes, some models have small quirks in their procedure. If you release the WPS button after 10 seconds, does it start flashing?

Otherwise, I'm starting to suspect that the router itself is defective, it's not a firmware related issue as the firmware does not touch the bootloader.
Yea your probably right. I've tried different ways and the power led doesn't flash. I RMA'd and got another this past Friday.

May I ask with GT-BE98Pro (or even with RT-BE96U), with standard UI (no ROG one), if you set AURA Led to "off", in case you change anything or you restart the router, the AURA LED will revert to "on"? Because I've this issue with GT-BE98, but I suspect, since the Led control code is in common with the BE router family, also other BE router would have this issue

Asus corrected the typo they did in the function name, but I didn't know it, so any of the pages that I wrote still has the old function. getVenderIconClassName() should be changed for getVendorIconClassName().
Just migrated from RT-AX88U to RT-BE96U (3006.102.1) mostly flawless, learning the new implementation for guest networks but so far great.

There is just one point I could not fix is the DNSDirector Page. It seems to not be working at all, if I enable/disable and click apply it doesn't apply or do anything. I'm not sure if its exactly the same issue already reported...

I've already rebooted the router and cleaned the web cash, just in case but nothing.

The drop-down for global redirection and to select the clients doesn't work either.

If it's the same issue I'll wait for the next release that will probably fix it. If not, let me know if I can provide anything else to locate the issue.

Thanks AGAIN!

1. Download the DNSDirector.asp file.
2. Modify the file as desired.
3. Copy the modified DNSDirector.asp file to your /jffs/scripts directory. Call it DNSDirector_NEW.asp
4. Set the file permissions to rwxrwxrwx (0777)
5. Run these commands from SSH (including the brackets):

Code:
{
    mount | grep -q "/www/DNSDirector.asp" && \
    umount /www/DNSDirector.asp 2>/dev/null
    [ -x /jffs/scripts/DNSDirector_NEW.asp ] && \
    mount -o bind /jffs/scripts/DNSDirector_NEW.asp /www/DNSDirector.asp
    mount | grep -q "/www/DNSDirector.asp" && echo "MOUNTED OK" || echo "NOT MOUNTED"
}

View attachment 60076

6. Re-test?
Just did and fixed. Thanks.
With a future fixed new version anything must be made here prior to update ?

Just did and fixed. Thanks.
With a future fixed new version anything must be made here prior to update ?

Do you mean anything to do before the next update? Not really that I can think.

You can run the unmount command to be sure your temporary fix is disabled and then do the update.

Code:
{
umount /www/DNSDirector.asp && echo "UNMOUNTED OK" || echo "UNMOUNT FAILED"
}

Delete the temp file from the JFFs directory to keep things clean? That's about all I can think.

Last edited:
我使用2台BE 98 Pro路由器(3006.102.1)组建了一个AiMesh网络,在使用中发现以下问题:1. AiMesh节点所有的连接设备只能连接到该节点2.4G的网络,无法连接到该节点5G或6G的网络,但是所有连接设备在AiMesh路由器上均能连接到5G或6G的网络。2. 无论重启AiMesh路由器和AiMesh节点还是删除AiMesh节点后重新添加均会重复出现该现象。

我使用2台BE 98 Pro路由器(3006.102.1)组建了一个AiMesh网络,在使用中发现以下问题:1. AiMesh节点所有的连接设备只能连接到该节点2.4G的网络,无法连接到该节点5G或6G的网络,但是所有连接设备在AiMesh路由器上均能连接到5G或6G的网络。2. 无论重启AiMesh路由器和AiMesh节点还是删除AiMesh节点后重新添加均会重复出现该现象。
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I understand there are lots of languages out there but I think you might find you get more responses if you translate your question to English first, then just paste the translation to the forum.

I’ve taken the liberty to use Google translate for you on this occasion, but maybe you can do this (both ways) for your next posts. 🙏

I used two BE 98 Pro routers (3006.102.1) to set up an AiMesh network, and found the following problems in use: 1. All the connected devices of the AiMesh node can only connect to the 2.4G network of the node, and cannot connect to the 5G or 6G network of the node, but all connected devices can connect to the 5G or 6G network on the AiMesh router. 2. This phenomenon will be repeated whether it is restarting the AiMesh router and AiMesh node or deleting the AiMesh node and adding it again.

@RMerlin any timeline when the RT-BE7200 (RT-BE88) will be added? Thank you for the great work you do.
This would be my natural upgrade of my RT-AX88U.
RT-BE96 would also be an option. Can't buy it in my country yet. Additionally, 6 GHz might not be my priority. Especially since I don't know when and if I could use it (in Sweden). It's still pending for approvals in some countries I heard. And purely for fun and testing of my WiFi-7 capable devices I don't know if that adds enough value in the long run.
However, I also want Merlin... so tricky 😉

Known issues:
  • Missing various UPnP/IGD settings (Already fixed internally)
  • DNS Director page fails to load or is missing device icons (Already fixed internally)
Does this mean the latest firmware version fixed DNS Director?
I just got an AX88U Pro, but have not installed Merlin yet.

Does this mean the latest firmware version fixed DNS Director?
I just got an AX88U Pro, but have not installed Merlin yet.

What you highlighted is the known issues in the current release of the 3006 codebase.

The AX88U Pro is not yet on the 3006 codebase for Merlin firmware.