What's new

Dual WAN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveMishSr

Very Senior Member
I have an Arris SB8200 modem with 2 Ethernet WAN ports. Can I use the load balance in dual WAN to use that 2nd WAN connection? No sense using fail over as if the one fails then both will. Will this give me any benefit?

Also, I am using the 4 LAN ports on my AC3100. Should I use the USB 3.0 port to connect or get a cheap Ethernet hub? Guess I should have sprung for the AC88U.

I'm sorry to pester the forum with this. Having trouble finding info both here and on Asus' support site.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Hoping this is the right forum for this post.

I have an Arris SB8200 modem with 2 Ethernet WAN ports.
Are they both provisioned? Normally this would incur an extra charge on your account, if it's an option at all.

The Arris website says:
Support for multiple Ethernet ports on a cable modem may require a minimum level of service subscription.

Note, Cox Cable does not support activation of a 2nd Ethernet port.

Are they both provisioned? Normally this would incur an extra charge on your account, if it's an option at all.

The Arris website says:
Thank you. I never thought of checking Arris' site. I should have checked Cox too just to make sure they could support it but I had assumed that they could.

Are you sure they're WAN ports? I thought cable in, ethernet out ... Looking at the image they look like LAN ports, though going by the description they may not be configured to be part of the same segment.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!