What's new

EnGenius ESR9850

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What would be a good wireless N usb adapter for the 9850 router :/ ???

I was before wondering whether to get another ESR-9850 to use as a wireless client, unfortunately i found out that is not possible in the stock firmware.

Only third party firmware like the DD-WRT has it.

To get the maximum throughput possible, I use all Engenius for N.

I've had their 9801 and it works well with the 7750, getting 1/3 more mbps than SNB reviews. Its not pre-N as listed here, its Draft 2.0

http://www0.epinions.com/review/Eng...d_Wireless_N_Usb_Adapter/content_503629057668

I was before wondering whether to get another ESR-9850 to use as a wireless client, unfortunately i found out that is not possible in the stock firmware.

Last edited:
Update Info

Release Date May 21, 2010
WEB version: 1.1.2
http://www.engeniustech.com/resources/V1.1.2.94_20100521.rar

Firmware upgrade:
ESR9850-APPS-V1-1-2-94.dlf
ESR9850-KNL-V1-1-2-90.dlf

Problems Resolved:
Fixed DNS Server doesn’t work in dynamic-from ISP.

Changes:
With the release of the current firmware MSC has increased to: Drum role:

NAT session up to 50,000.

Note: I'll confirm this in my test lab for LAN to LAN to WAN to LAN Zone.. Should get more or less depending on the hardware used for testing.

Last edited:

Airlink MiniUSB N150 (1T/1R) TX: 150mbps / RX: 150mbps (Realtek RTL)
Trendnet TEW-641PC N300 (2T/2R) TX: 150mbps / RX: 300mbps (Realtek RTL) 150mbps (real-time 120mbps) TX 14dBm = 25mW for 802.11n

Note: on both above best to pull down the drivers off the internet to use either 32-bit or 64-bit drivers. Doesn't seem the drivers are available from the maker only from chipset maker in this case Realtek RTL.

Last edited:
By the way will snb be doing a re-test to confirm the 50,000 smc ?
No. There is no practical benefit to that many sessions for home use and our test method is limited to around 40,000 sessions due to collisions with in-use ports and the limit of 65535

No. There is no practical benefit to that many sessions for home use and our test method is limited to around 40,000 sessions due to collisions with in-use ports and the limit of 65535

Interesting observation, but for me it would be a practical benefit and I use ports on the edge of 50000 without issue. I really need to test this today and see what happens if the limit of 65535 would hamper my attempts to go beyond your limit of 40,000? I have my old P2P download box with TCP.Sys changed to run the Server/Client tool on it. Lets see what happens?

Interesting observation, but for me it would be a practical benefit and I use ports on the edge of 50000 without issue. I really need to test this today and see what happens if the limit of 65535 would hamper my attempts to go beyond your limit of 40,000? I have my old P2P download box with TCP.Sys changed to run the Server/Client tool on it. Lets see what happens?
It's not the higher ports that are the limit.

Note that the command starts the client from port 20000. 65535-20000 = 45535. You can play with moving the 20,000 lower.

It's not the higher ports that are the limit.

Note that the command starts the client from port 20000. 65535-20000 = 45535. You can play with moving the 20,000 lower.

The system I wanted to use had blow-out PSU, which I had replaced with extra PSU parts on hand. Left it running before I got WinSocket Error on the Client side both times.
Safe Mode with Networking + DMZ all firewall on the router was disabled, both NIC set to full Gig Duplex.
Built-myself now Older Test Rigs: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Intel 2.6GHz OC, Realtek RTL PCI Gig and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit AMD X64 1.6GHz, Realtek RTL PCI Gig

Results show: Client for the was 45,673 and Server was 45,674 @ 20000 trigger + TCP.sys = 10 limited imposed by MS
Results show: Client for the was 55,673 and Server was 55,674 @ 10000 trigger + TCP.sys = 200 limited imposed by my tweaking is set on both systems.

I was reading about the study that was done at some UK University about Port Knocking and you could go beyond 65,000 limit. But I am know when to back off. I could try the above again and see what I get. I tested the Belkin N+ with the latest firmware and got 25,828.

Check my P2P Rig AMD II X4 x64 4GB TCP.Sys is set to 200 that Gig PCI-E Dual Direction Adapter on Slot on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Last edited:
Well testing out 1.1.2 in my second ESR-9850 as AP the wireless decreases in RSSi (received signal strength indicator) really badly as measured:

First Floor -49dBm with 1.09 firmware (stable no drops)
First Floor -56dBm with 1.1.2 firmware (lots of drops unstable wireless)

Second Floor -53dBm with 1.09 firmware
Second Floor -60dBm with 1.1.2 firmware (drops from 5/5 bars excellent to 3/3 bars good)

Had to go back to 1.09 for now Bummer! As a wired router 1.1.2 shines.

Note: Second ESR-9850 is on the Second Floor on the other end of the house.

Back to stabilization again! :p

Pushed the router and it's AP to the limited for 7.5 hrs

Yesterday I had gig and wireless 802.11n being pushed hard so hard the only item that got hot was the Trendnet gig 8-port copper switch! But ESR-9850 DHCP router and ESR-9850 AP both were cool to the touch! Performance wise everything was okay until Google Chrome choked out on multi-tabbing auto queue on two quad cores gig desktops one RDP and dual core laptop. Had to repeat the process for about 2,120 times (auto process not manual)! They had about 1.9 million FB users doing the same.

Good test for this router, never let me down. :p

Last edited:
Tested

Clock in 204MB/sec over two 64-bit 7 OS so far with the latest firmware

I bought Airlink AWLL6075 USB wireless n adapter, some people says it's
RTL8191SU chip based. I tried it with ESR9850 in N only mode, the webpage loading speed is slower than that with ESR9850 in G only mode.
________
hemp

Last edited:
Hello,

I bought the 9850 but since I tried to upgrade the firmware the control panel is not working properly and I cannot find the direct link to the upgrade firmware page. Would you have a link or method I could use to reflash?

thanks a lot!

I bought Airlink AWLL6075 USB wireless n adapter, some people says it's
RTL8191SU chip based. I tried it with ESR9850 in N only mode, the webpage loading speed is slower than that with ESR9850 in G only mode.

I have two more on order coming for a total of 4. I am using them on all my laptops that don't have 802.11n. Which driver version data are you using? Don't use the CD that comes with it nor the Airlink software wireless client monitor. I've tested the device on 360, 480p, 720p HD works find showing YT videos. I do a lot of remotes into local network no issues. But I've notice that the AP has to be in the mix mode 802.11b/g/n since the driver is set to that option. If I force the router to 802.11n the device drops or flips/flops showing on inSSIDer.

N300 Airlink now that the N150 Airlink I had mention here had broken into pieces when the laptop I was using fell. I was so :)mad:) but like with any hardware things goes wrong.

Here's my review
http://tipstir.the-talk.net/hardware-reviews-f1/airlink-101-golden-n300-t64.htm

Here are some user reviews
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RCKDEC/?tag=snbforums-20

Here's a shot I taken from my one of my laptops using the N300
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._409973037948_579882948_4614742_5583517_n.jpg

Last edited:
Which driver version data are you using? Don't use the CD that comes with it nor the Airlink software wireless client monitor.But I've notice that the AP has to be in the mix mode 802.11b/g/n since the driver is set to that option. If I force the router to 802.11n the device drops or flips/flops showing on inSSIDer.

I used the driver and software from Airlink website. I tried it on XP 32-bit, it installed both driver and software ( wireless client monitor), the webpage loading speed is not quick. Then I tried it on Win7, looks like only driver is installed, cause no wireless client monitor icon is showed. The speed is just OK. I use N only mode in both cases. I will try 802.11b/g/n mode.

Actually I used 802.11b/g/n mode before, but my Wifi Link 5100 wireless card didn't perfom well, I guess it's because my desktop use 802.11g card (The one I want to replace with Airlink adapter)

I'm wondering why you don't recommend using Airlink software wireless client monitor?
________
Yamaha Radian

Last edited:
I used the driver and software from Airlink website. I tried it on XP 32-bit, it installed both driver and software ( wireless client monitor), the webpage loading speed is not quick. Then I tried it on Win7, looks like only driver is installed, cause no wireless client monitor icon is showed. The speed is just OK. I use N only mode in both cases. I will try 802.11b/g/n mode.

Actually I used 802.11b/g/n mode before, but my Wifi Link 5100 wireless card didn't perfom well, I guess it's because my desktop use 802.11g card (The one I want to replace with Airlink adapter)

I'm wondering why you don't recommend using Airlink software wireless client monitor?

Not needed. I've been rebuilding two DELL latitude I had installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on 512MB with 40GB 5200 RPM. I had also tested first N150 also from Airlink and Now N300 on it even though the unit doesn't have USB2. I connected via wired 100mbps connection via CAT5e, inserted teh USB2 into USB1.1. I told XP Pro SP3 Geniune to pull the driver off the internet. It did. Found it. All I had to do is do a site survey and enter in the passcode BANG! I was up and running. The software UTLs is optional and really not needed. Why run that extra system resource when XP WZC can do the job better. Since the USB is not 2.0 I get 120 Mbps instead of the 150 Mbps. Still not bad. Out of the box XP Pro is a dog on wireless. Some TCP/LANMANWorkstation/DNSCache tweaks then I'll be good to go!

I do the same for the test bed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on the laptop shown on my forum site. Same thing got the driver off using windows driver locator.

Anyway with the promo code and got mine for $9.99 each with free shipping. Can't go wrong with that price. I also Trendnet TEW-641PC they tend to overheat then stop 2T/2R and go duff. I have to pull out the PCMICA card and then re-install it. Again that uses Realtek chipset also. Those type of cards need some sort of vent slot otherwise then tend to get so hot they shutdown.

Last edited:
I used the latest driver from Realtek for Airlink AWLL6075 USB wireless 11N adapter, the driver data is Mar/2010, and tried w/ and w/o wireless client utility, tried 802.11b/g/n and N only on Win XP 32-bit, the wireless performance is still poor.

BTW: If I didn't install driver on either XP or Win7, the computer showed "the hardware is not properly installed" although I did ask computer to search for the driver.
________
WR450

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!