What's new

eth1 logged when plugged into eth4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Checked my logs out just now and I first noticed I'm having issues like @Xruptor in this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/eth2-link-down-link-up-spam-in-systemlog.48422/ To make things more confusing I noticed the ports aren't even matching up. So the past 10 minutes I've been trying to figure out why the Link up and Link Down spam messages keep happening while trying to figure out why the ports on the back don't match the log.

For the ports I unplugged everything from the back of my AC-86U except for my main desktop. I set the link speed via the onboard adapter to full duplex 1.0 Gbps, and made sure power management for the adapter was unchecked. Also made sure my windows power config wasn't allowing the system to go into standby mode. I've plugged it into port 4 according to the rear of the router and the log says "eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex" I only have 1 other wired device, while having several wireless devices in the house. That shouldn't effect either issue I'm assuming but correct me if I'm wrong. So is the log wrong or is the back of the router wrong?

Checked my logs out just now and I first noticed I'm having issues like @Xruptor in this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/eth2-link-down-link-up-spam-in-systemlog.48422/ To make things more confusing I noticed the ports aren't even matching up. So the past 10 minutes I've been trying to figure out why the Link up and Link Down spam messages keep happening while trying to figure out why the ports on the back don't match the log.

For the ports I unplugged everything from the back of my AC-86U except for my main desktop. I set the link speed via the onboard adapter to full duplex 1.0 Gbps, and made sure power management for the adapter was unchecked. Also made sure my windows power config wasn't allowing the system to go into standby mode. I've plugged it into port 4 according to the rear of the router and the log says "eth1 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex" I only have 1 other wired device, while having several wireless devices in the house. That shouldn't effect either issue I'm assuming but correct me if I'm wrong. So is the log wrong or is the back of the router wrong?

So:

eth0 = WAN
eth1 = LAN4
eth2 = ?
eth3 = ?
eth4 = ?
eth5 = WiFi
eth6 = WiFi

What do you log when you move the PC Ethernet cable to LAN3,2,1?

OE

I plugged my other wired desktop back in to port 1 according to the back (LAN 1) and this came up:
eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

I plugged my other wired desktop back in to port 1 according to the back (LAN 1) and this came up:
eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

So, then:

eth0 = WAN
eth1 = LAN4
eth2 = LAN3
eth3 = LAN2
eth4 = LAN1
eth5 = WiFi
eth6 = WiFi

Mystery solved.

OE

RT-AC86U, Ethernet Port#4 is actually called "eth1" in the firmware, so beware the Ethernet ports are numbered backwards.

Code:
 eth0   WAN Port

eth4   External Port 1
 eth3   External Port 2
 eth2   External Port 3
 eth1   External Port 4

eth6   2.4Ghz  WiFi
 eth7   5Ghz  WiFi

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!