What's new

ethernet and wireless network issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
I have just upgraded two of our iMacs with the new Snow Leopard 10.6.
I'm having a some trouble connecting one of the printers which is connected to our wireless networks.
Our office is upstairs where have the macs, we have an ethernet connection plugged into a switch and Maxtor shared storage. Downstairs we have the four printers and modem connect to the Airport Extreme.
The Airport Extreme has a IP address of 10.0.1.6 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The ethernet connection upstairs with the switch is 169.254.116.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.0.0
Everything is working fine we have internet and three printers printing, but our large format will not, the driver is loaded but it won't talk. I'm think it has something to do with the network.
I not sure if the IP address of 169.254.116.1 is correct, should I be manually setting the IP addresses.

Thanks
Marshall

169.254.0.0/16 is an APIPA address, which probably means the device was unable to communicate with a DHCP server.

Possible causes (diagnosis):
Bad connectivity (trace cabling/check for link light, swap printer to known good cable/port);
Apple Extreme not set to give out IPs, or maxed out scope (check router config);
Printer not on LAN side of router (confirm with network diagram).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!