What's new

Ethernet Bridge For Legacy Clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyoffacliff

Occasional Visitor
I have a few older devices that are only 802.11g (plus a 10/100 ethernet port). Looking to update the wireless connectivity using a wireless bridge plugged into the ethernet port. But I am just finding a bunch of old discontinued 802.11g and n bridges. All the AC ones I found are USB instead of ethernet models, basically making them NICs instead of bridges. Why are there not any many "real" bridges anymore?

I discovered the same thing when I looked about a year ago. At one time there were quite a few on the market, largely driven I suspect because the Xbox 360 didn't have wireless, so they were sold as "gaming adaptors".

Nowadays nobody seems to make them.:( I guess it's just not economic. I used to use a small Buffalo access point that could be operated as a bridge. I guess there are still devices like that. Not very aesthetic though.

Last edited:
That makes sense about the Xbox 360. Anyone know of any bridges (or access points that can be set as bridges) that support AC, or at least dual band N, and are aesthetic. Maybe something that plugs in similer to a power line adapter? Otherwise, I must just do power line.

Something like this looks like it will work: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_EN.pdf

It's the first WiFi "extender" I looked at so there's probably plenty of others. Of course it's actually marketed as a repeater but it does let you plug into its Ethernet port. Whether you can turn off the repeater function and just use it as a bridge I don't know. (There's a menu option to turn off the radios but whether that means it can't be a wireless client...)

Something like this looks like it will work: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX3700/EX3700_UM_EN.pdf

It's the first WiFi "extender" I looked at so there's probably plenty of others. Of course it's actually marketed as a repeater but it does let you plug into its Ethernet port. Whether you can turn off the repeater function and just use it as a bridge I don't know. (There's a menu option to turn off the radios but whether that means it can't be a wireless client...)

Nice find! And good price too! I just read the manual, I think it would still be a wireless client with both options for 2.4ghz and 5ghz unchecked. It probably doesn't fully turn off the ratios because that would render the device useless in every possible usage scenario. I could be wrong, but worth a shot, thanks.