What's new

sbnMerlin 1.2.6 - Network Isolation Tool based on Guest Networks, June 26 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry @i5Js I think I'm mistaken, and sbnMerlin won't work with the router AXE16000.

Can you show me the command "brctl show" after disabling the 2.4 GHz Guest Network index 1, and enabling the 6 GHz Guest Network index 1 with intranet access disabled?

Sure:

Code:
i5js@asus:/tmp/home/root# brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br0        8000.c87f54bf2584    no        bond0
                            eth10
                            eth3
                            eth4
                            eth5
                            eth6
                            eth7
                            eth8
                            eth9
br4        8000.c87f54bf2591    yes        eth1.504
                            eth10.504
                            eth2.504
                            eth3.504
                            eth4.504
                            eth5.504
                            eth6.504
                            eth7.504
                            eth8.504
                            eth9.504
                            wl2.1

Well, like @Ellenswamy commented before, Guest Network index 1, no matter the band, doesn't work fine. So if Index 2 and next doesn't support aimesh nodes, the Guest Network is not for me, I really need the aimesh nodes, because the main router is not enough.

... I was looking for information about the router AXE16000, and I've found that it is a tri-band router with the following frequencies 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz / 6 GHz.

... it seams that you have the following frequencies/options 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2, 6 GHz.

sbnMerlin was created with the frequencies/options 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, so I must develop the order frequencies/options.

The GT-AXE16000 is a quad-band router with the following wireless virtual interface mapping:
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3
5GHz-1     wl0
5GHz-2     wl1
6GHz       wl2

The GT-AXE11000 is a tri-band router with the following wireless virtual interface mapping:
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl0
5GHz       wl1
6GHz       wl2

You could check out the YazFi script (see "GetIFaceUILabel()") where I added & made some changes to support the above routers back in Dec-2022.

HTH.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and support @Martinski.

I need to make some structural changes in the snbMerlin script to support those devices (GT-AXE11000 and GT-AXE16000) because there are more wireless interfaces and the bridges created by sbnMerlin are in conflict with other created by Asuswrt-Merlin.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and support @Martinski.

I need to make some structural changes in the snbMerlin script to support those devices (GT-AXE11000 and GT-AXE16000) because there are more wireless interfaces and the bridges created by sbnMerlin are in conflict with other created by Asuswrt-Merlin.
And there may be even more changes with the GT-BE98 Pro and other WiFi 7 routers...

Really? Then I'll need your help @visortgw in order to check the behavior of those devices in wireless and bridge creation perspective.

Really? Then I'll need your help @visortgw in order to check the behavior of those devices in wireless and bridge creation perspective.
Of course! Let me know how to obtain details that you need, and I'll take care of it once device is delivered and configured.

And there may be even more changes with the GT-BE98 Pro and other WiFi 7 routers...

Does anyone has this type of devices?
I don't have any of the WiFi 7 routers (or WiFi 7 clients for that matter), but based on information provided by @RMerlin and validated by a couple of users who generously supplied requested data via PMs, the following is the current info I have WRT wireless virtual interface mappings:

GT-BE98_PRO
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3
5GHz       wl0
6GHz-1     wl1
6GHz-2     wl2

GT-BE98 [Same mapping as the GT-AXE16000]
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3
5GHz-1     wl0
5GHz-2     wl1
6GHz       wl2

RT-BE96U [Same mapping as the GT-AXE11000]
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl0
5GHz       wl1
6GHz       wl2

I've already made the necessary changes to the scMerlin add-on (both webGUI & text-based SSH UI) and submitted a PR to @thelonelycoder's GitHub repository so if/when he merges the code changes, the next scMerlin release version should work with the above routers.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I don't have any of the WiFi 7 routers (or WiFi 7 clients for that matter), but based on information provided by @RMerlin and validated by a couple of users who generously supplied requested data via PMs, the following is the current info I have WRT wireless virtual interface mappings:

GT-BE98_PRO
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3
5GHz       wl0
6GHz-1     wl1
6GHz-2     wl2

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3
5GHz-1     wl0
5GHz-2     wl1
6GHz       wl2

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl0
5GHz       wl1
6GHz       wl2

I've already made the necessary changes to the scMerlin add-on (both webGUI & text-based SSH UI) and submitted a PR to @thelonelycoder's GitHub repository so if/when he merges the code changes, the next scMerlin release version should work with the above routers.

My 2 cents.
Thanks a lot for your help @Martinski, I just need some information.

I've made the following wireless and bridge mappings, with the Asuswrt-Merlin default bridges created when the Guest Network index 1 is enabled with the intranet access disabled.

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl0       br1
5GHz       wl1       br2
6GHz       wl2       br3

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3       br1
5GHz-1     wl0       br2
5GHz-2     wl1       br3
6GHz       wl2       br4

GT-BE98_PRO
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3       br1
5GHz       wl0       br2
6GHz-1     wl1       br3
6GHz-2     wl2       br4

Are these mappings correct?

Based upon initial experience with GT-BE98 Pro and Asus' Guest Network Pro implementation, I'm not sure that sbnMerlin would add anything. Each guest network can be configured with its own subnet, DHCP server, DNS, isolation, etc. Also, they've gone away from numbered guest networks. You simply add configurable guest networks (using one of many templates or completely custom), and then designate which AiMesh node(s) to mirror the guest network on (up to two (2) guest networks shared with each AiMesh node per band).

Last edited:
Based upon initial experience with GT-BE98 Pro and Asus' Guest Network Pro implementation, I'm not sure that sbnMerlin would add anything. Each guest network can be configured with its own subnet, DHCP server, DNS, isolation, etc. Also, they've gone away from numbered guest networks. You simply add configurable guest networks (using one of many templates or completely custom), and then designate which AiMesh node(s) to mirror the guest network on (up to two (2) guest networks shared with each AiMesh node per band).
Thanks @visortgw! Based on that I'll focus the developments on the other routers.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 11.41.53.png

Nice… I guess it’s the GT-BE firmware right?

Nop, Asus' Guest Network Pro Stock firmware….
Yes, GT-BE98 Pro, but with Merlin 3006_102.1_beta1 firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help @Martinski, I just need some information.

I've made the following wireless and bridge mappings, with the Asuswrt-Merlin default bridges created when the Guest Network index 1 is enabled with the intranet access disabled.

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl0       br1
5GHz       wl1       br2
6GHz       wl2       br3

Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3       br1
5GHz-1     wl0       br2
5GHz-2     wl1       br3
6GHz       wl2       br4

GT-BE98_PRO
Rich (BB code):
2.4GHz     wl3       br1
5GHz       wl0       br2
6GHz-1     wl1       br3
6GHz-2     wl2       br4

Are these mappings correct?
sbnMerlin release v.1.2.6
* New feature: structural change in order to support tri-band and quad-band devices. **attention** Please check the configuration file changes in FAQs, and the new port mapping features.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!