What's new

Expanding Home Lan: Do I need a switch or a bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

branon

Occasional Visitor
A couple of years back i had set up a home network (thanks to the invaluable advice that I got on this forum). The setup is as follows:

cable modem- Dlink 655 router-one lan connection goes to a central switch (Procurve) - which in turn has drops to various rooms including my home entertainment area.

This has worked very well for me so far.

The only one drop that goes to my entertainment area is currently connected to a tivo unit. However, I have just recently purchased a tv (with a lan port; no wifi) and i also already have a squeezebox touch in the same entertainment center. Given the addition of this yet another internet enabled device, I was wondering what i should buy so that all three units (the tivo, tv, and squeezebox touch) can use ethernet access.
I am presuming it should be a switch? but i am not expert and dont want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Many Thanks

simple. Purchase an inexpensive Ethernet switch, say, a 4 or 5 port switch. Costs about $25 for a 10/100Mbps one or about $10 more for a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch. Look at market prices on newegg.com. Buy on-line or Fry's or (watchout for high prices), BestBuy or other retailer.

Place the switch near the TiVo/entertainment center. Connect power.
Disconnect the cat 5 cable from the TiVo and connect to one of the switch's ports.
Connect a new cat5 cable to another switch port and plug into the TiVo.
Connect a new cat5 cable to another switch port and plug into the television.

Done. Nothing to change in the router.

Stevech,
Thanks. That's what I was guessing too. Only concern- I hope connecting one switch to another switch is not going to create problems?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!