What's new

Extend coverage of my RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MakeItEasy

Occasional Visitor
Hello

Is it still worth it nowadays to buy a second RT-AC86U (vs buy a new and more recent router) to extend the Wi-Fi coverage on the second floor of my house ? (my daughters's phones often switch to 4G because WIFI signal is too weak)

Can I place it somewhere without a wired connection (at 5 meters from the other but behind a wall ie) ? Or is placing it in one of my two daughters' bedrooms with a wired connection a better option ?

Thanks for your feedback

Is it still worth it nowadays to buy a second RT-AC86U

No. It's End-of-Life model with history of hardware and software issues. Plan A - get an new RT-AX86U Pro or better, test with the new router only first. If the coverage is still not enough - use your old RT-AC86U as AiMesh node, wired (better) or wireless (acceptable). Plan B - get an AC-class extender, TP-Link has variety of different models starting from $20. Plug it in close to the room, it will be good enough for few mobile devices around.

Thanks for the feedback.

Great to know that I will still be able to use my RT-AC86U as an AiMesh node with the new model RT-AX86U Pro.

However, I have no experience of how an extender works.
Does it only need a power plug, is it easy to setup and secure ?
I will do some research...

What is commonly called Extender or Repeater connects wirelessly (some have LAN ports for wired connection) to the parent AP/Router and repeats (or creates a different one) the wireless network extending the coverage area. Extenders run own operating system with GUI settings just like home routers. Wireless AiMesh node works the same way, just has fancier marketing name and can extend one Guest Network as well. The end result is about the same.

See one example currently under $20 (Amazon US price):
1725382463743.png

And the GUI emulator for this model (RE220):

Not the greatest, but cheap, compact and good enough for a few mobile devices around it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!