What's new

Extend coverage of my RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MakeItEasy

Occasional Visitor
Hello

Is it still worth it nowadays to buy a second RT-AC86U (vs buy a new and more recent router) to extend the Wi-Fi coverage on the second floor of my house ? (my daughters's phones often switch to 4G because WIFI signal is too weak)

Can I place it somewhere without a wired connection (at 5 meters from the other but behind a wall ie) ? Or is placing it in one of my two daughters' bedrooms with a wired connection a better option ?

Thanks for your feedback

Is it still worth it nowadays to buy a second RT-AC86U

No. It's End-of-Life model with history of hardware and software issues. Plan A - get an new RT-AX86U Pro or better, test with the new router only first. If the coverage is still not enough - use your old RT-AC86U as AiMesh node, wired (better) or wireless (acceptable). Plan B - get an AC-class extender, TP-Link has variety of different models starting from $20. Plug it in close to the room, it will be good enough for few mobile devices around.

Thanks for the feedback.

Great to know that I will still be able to use my RT-AC86U as an AiMesh node with the new model RT-AX86U Pro.

However, I have no experience of how an extender works.
Does it only need a power plug, is it easy to setup and secure ?
I will do some research...

What is commonly called Extender or Repeater connects wirelessly (some have LAN ports for wired connection) to the parent AP/Router and repeats (or creates a different one) the wireless network extending the coverage area. Extenders run own operating system with GUI settings just like home routers. Wireless AiMesh node works the same way, just has fancier marketing name and can extend one Guest Network as well. The end result is about the same.

See one example currently under $20 (Amazon US price):
1725382463743.png

And the GUI emulator for this model (RE220):

Not the greatest, but cheap, compact and good enough for a few mobile devices around it.

Thanks Tech9 for the quick summary on repeaters/extenders...I still had to reread it several times to be sure I understood everything 😅...it's all become so complicated now!

I admit that I have not yet taken the time to learn as much as I would like on the subject...

Is wireless the only connection option for repeters/extenders ?
What are the ports on the repeaters/extenders used for: can they be used to connect to the ASUS router switch to provide wireless Internet access or are they only used to allow to connect a device like a PC for Internet access ?

By the way, is there any particular reason to recommend tp-link and not Asus since it is an Asus router ?

I discussed today with a friend who have two tp-link deco m4 used in Mesh: the first one is connected with a cable to the router and the other one is connected wirelessly to the first one. I think this would work for me too although in my case it seems to me I would only need one to connect by cable in the room that needs to be served wirelessly.

The specific room I want to increase the wifi signal in (or add a new wifi network) has a dual RJ45 socket like most rooms in my house. Maybe it would be better to take advantage of this when choosing which device to buy, no ?

Is wireless the only connection option for repeters/extenders ?

This type of devices usually have at least one LAN port and offer different operation modes. Repeater/Extender Mode is wireless only and the LAN port can be used for wired client device. Access Point Mode is always wired and the LAN port is used for connection to the main router. Example below.

1728248672278.png

1728248690775.png

tp-link deco m4

This specific model was quite popular, good Qualcomm hardware inside. Simple, cheap and effective. Wireless does ~500Mbps from the main unit and ~250Mbps from the satellite, wired does ~500Mbps from both main unit and satellite. Ethernet connected devices get ~900Mbps. I have installed one (wireless) for a non-tech friend of mine and it works very well. Was purchased in 2-pack for about $100 as I remember. Drawback for some users - App Control only and single SSID only (band steering, like Asus Smart Connect), no WebUI. For non-tech users is perfect. Can be used for Wi-Fi only to another router in Bridge Mode (Access Point Mode). Not sure if this model is still available though, it's been around for years, AC-class.

So if I understood correctly, adding an access point or a new mesh system will result creating a new SSID in both cases, right ? For now I always used band steering (never tried if it works better without) and I have also one guest network for guests and IOT devices.

Since I have built-in wiring (CAT6a but the main switch is a classic Gigabit one so no real need of device supporting 2.5Gbps) that goes into almost every room of the house, I'm increasingly thinking about a new Mesh wifi system (using ethernet backhaul for each unit) rather than a DIY solution like a repeater or extender.

Should I remove wifi from my RT-AC86U if I add a new wifi Mesh like 3 units of TP-Link Deco X55 ? (I'm afraid this might cause interference)

And I buy this new wifi Mesh system, I guess it's best to keep using the RT-AC86U as the router ?

So if I understood correctly, adding an access point or a new mesh system will result creating a new SSID in both cases, right ?

The SSID can be the same as already existing one.

Should I remove wifi from my RT-AC86U if I add a new wifi Mesh like 3 units of TP-Link Deco X55 ? (I'm afraid this might cause interference)

Your Asus router is EOL. Better use the newer Deco if this is the "mesh" you want.

The SSID can be the same as already existing one.

Ah ok, I didn't know you could set the same SSID on multiple nearby devices. (but what I meant is that this will require creating a new network/SSID as opposed to a repeater)

Your Asus router is EOL. Better use the newer Deco if this is the "mesh" you want.

Well...in fact I was planning on keeping the ASUS router and plugging the Mesh system to it...
What's the problem with it being EOL if it still does its job well ?
I'm not really used to change my router as often. I bought it in September 2020...are we really supposed to change routers every 4 years ?
I also admit that I'm not very keen on having to go through all params setting up a new router again correctly...

What's the problem with it being EOL if it still does its job well ?

This type of problem as an example:

What we know so far from forum's top members - perhaps a new DDoS bot infecting Asus routers. I'm not familiar with the way it works and only placed an Asus router with open services to Internet hoping to catch the bug and eventually look at the traffic it passes through my pfSense firewall.

Ok... but it won't be better to use the box provided by the ISP. My choice to use my own router rather than the ISP's is precisely to have more control and security (without spending my life changing or studying all the parameters).

Does using it as access point in Aismesh solve such security issue ?

Where can I check that the RT-AC86U is EOL ? [Edit: Ok, found it: https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/]
Does being EOL mean that security issues are no longer fixed by Asus?
So the ASUS marketing "AiProtection with TrendMicro for Life" is not enough to be secure, it is just smoke and mirrors ?

Copilot advices me for example the "ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8)": I checked and it was released in March 2020..so what, does this mean that I will already have to change it next year if I buy it now ??

Another question: in the beginning of this thread, you pointed out that RT-AX86U Pro (or better) might be enough for the coverage.
But IMHO me the coverage will be even better if I keep using the RT-AC86U as a wired access point in the area that is less well covered, no ? (coverage, not performance - i'm aware and ok with that)

Last edited:
Sorry if the tone of my answer may have seemed negative, English is not my native language.I don't care what Copilot can propose me, I'm just trying to have a constructive discussion but I realize that this is the average lifespan of this kind of device.

Still have a lot of questions to decide for what woud best fit my situation.

Does being EOL mean that security issues are no longer fixed by Asus?
So the ASUS marketing "AiProtection with TrendMicro for Life" is not enough to be secure, it is just smoke and mirrors ?

EOL means the firmware is no longer maintained. ASUS has reached back to fix serious firmware security defects for select models, but this is the exception, not the rule.

AiProtection is unrelated to firmware maintenance.

The AC86U is good router while it works, but it has a well-established history of premature hardware failure. Failing hardware can take a while to fully die; until then, the user will troubleshoot weird behavoir to no good end.

Post #2 above gave you good advice.

Next gen ASUSWRT 5.0 (3.0.0.6 firmware) is introducing new guest networking functionality (VLANs) that only runs on Pro models. So, I would favor Pro models going forward so that any guest/IoT/VLAN networking works across the network... across the AiMesh. That said, ASUS ships incomplete/defective firmware and then improves it over time, dragging its customers through the mud. So, set your expectations accordingly.

If your building is wired for Ethernet, I would use it to extend your network with a traditional or AiMesh wired Access Point, if needed. You won't know what you need until you test the coverage of a new router in your radio space.

OE

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online