What's new

extend wireless range via a switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schloss

New Around Here
so, i have that problem where the wireless router is upstairs.......and i sometimes use wireless devices downstairs, like phones and laptops.
problem is the signal downstairs is poor.

i already have a switch thats downstairs, thats connected to the router upstairs via ethernet.
that feeds internet to some of the ethernet enabled devices downstairs (tv, htpc etc)
there is a port spare on it.

i was wondering if i could plug into its spare ethernet port a wireless adapter of some kind, to give me a nice strong signal downstairs - like a 2nd wireless access point.
is this possible, and if so what devices should i be looking for?

ive looked at wireless range extenders/repeaters but they all just seem to be signal boosters or something.

what is the best solution?

EDIT
doesnt matter found the answer
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

i need a wireless access point device.

Last edited:
How old is dwelling. Any new or old wiring in place. This is what I ran into in my prior house that was built in 1927 and then wiring was updated in 2001. But not all the wiring connected correctly.

These AC/LAN modules don't work for what I had. So the old stand by was to run Ethernet cable outside over the roof then back down the wall into vents or drill 1/4 holes into the frame. That worked and gave me full coverage for WiFi.

Another way is to get 100mW or 200mW WiFi Access Point or WiFi Router with extended range. These usually have more than 3 ANT and have two WiFi Amp built-in.

One more way is to get a SMB type WiFi access point but these cost much more but also some don't really cover as you would think. This requires to have more than one in your dwelling.

Really need to do a Site Survey for WiFi and test the areas where are weak or dead. Those are where you would place the Access Points for WiFi.

Also remember over heating of these devices too. Like Cisco RE1000 for Linksys. These extended WiFi but they had suffered from overheating and failed to keep the signal flowing. I use 2x of these in the new home where all the wiring connected except the ground fault wiring for wet area.

so, i have that problem where the wireless router is upstairs.......and i sometimes use wireless devices downstairs, like phones and laptops.
problem is the signal downstairs is poor.

i already have a switch thats downstairs, thats connected to the router upstairs via ethernet.
that feeds internet to some of the ethernet enabled devices downstairs (tv, htpc etc)
there is a port spare on it.

i was wondering if i could plug into its spare ethernet port a wireless adapter of some kind, to give me a nice strong signal downstairs - like a 2nd wireless access point.
is this possible, and if so what devices should i be looking for?

ive looked at wireless range extenders/repeaters but they all just seem to be signal boosters or something.

what is the best solution?

EDIT
doesnt matter found the answer
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

i need a wireless access point device.

yes, an access point (AP). any WiFi router can be reconfigured to be an AP (i.e., WAN port unused). There's a FAQ on this website on how to do that. Or you can pay more for a purpose-built AP product.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!