What's new

Extremely poor WiFi performance on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EvanA

New Around Here
I have been experiencing extremely slow WiFi throughput on my N66U. The speeds range between 2-5 Mbit/s. I should be getting somewhere around 25-30 Mbit/s, as that is what I am paying for. When I run a speed test from an ethernet connected computer, I get the full speed. I am running the 3.0.0.4.374.33 release. Cleared the nvram before flashing. The router is connected to a SB6121 modem. I have cleared the nvram multiple times. I have also tried power cycling both the router and modem. There are no latency issues with the router, I get sub millisecond pings when running a traceroute. This occurs on both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Right now I am testing on the 5GHz band and a 40Mhz width to rule out channel congestion. I'm using WPA2-AES security. All the settings on the router are stock beside transmit power and wireless security.

This has honestly stumped me. I am wondering if it might be the location of the router. It is currently sitting on the top of a metal shelf. Could that be causing interference in some way? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This has honestly stumped me. I am wondering if it might be the location of the router. It is currently sitting on the top of a metal shelf. Could that be causing interference in some way? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Hi,

Can you check your signal strenght with a tool like inSSIDer? :rolleyes:
The medal shelf could block the signals from the router.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

Can you check your signal strenght with a tool like inSSIDer? :rolleyes:
The medal shelf could block the signals from the router.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Here's a snapshot of signal strength for all 3 networks that run on ths router from my Nexus 7 (2013). I am located in the room directly above the router.

https://db.tt/4oK22pgG

The signal strength seems to stay around -50dBm from my observations.

Last edited:
If you can't move the router off the metal shelf just to test it, then try putting some thick books under it. I have my router sitting on a pile of 3 thick books on the top shelf of the bookshelf at the back of the computer hutch arrangement that I have. That gets it up in the air some, and away from surrounding objects.

Also, try using inSSIDer or Wifi Analyzer to be sure that you've picked the clearest channel available for 2.4GHz., and also use 20MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz., 40MHz. channel width is fine on 5GHz. And be sure that you have WMM enabled and QOS off. There are also other sources of interference (other than neighbors' wireless networks) like cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc. that will affect your wireless throughput on 2.4GHz. shouldn't affect 5GHz., though.

By the way, no percentage in clearing the nvram before you flash it, just clear it after you flash it.

Just saw this posting, as well, that might have something for you, too:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=82113&postcount=1

Last edited:
Like you I also have an N66 with a Motorola sb6121 cable modem and a Nexus 7. The problem I experienced was the N7 was dropping the 5ghz connection and connecting to the 2.4ghz band. Unlike you tho, every speed test run I always max out my connection speed. But I also went back to the 32 firmware because of a couple of bugs that were bothering me with the 33 firmware.

If you can't move the router off the metal shelf just to test it, then try putting some thick books under it. I have my router sitting on a pile of 3 thick books on the top shelf of the bookshelf at the back of the computer hutch arrangement that I have. That gets it up in the air some, and away from surrounding objects.

Also, try using inSSIDer or Wifi Analyzer to be sure that you've picked the clearest channel available for 2.4GHz., and also use 20MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz., 40MHz. channel width is fine on 5GHz. And be sure that you have WMM enabled and QOS off. There are also other sources of interference (other than neighbors' wireless networks) like cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc. that will affect your wireless throughput on 2.4GHz. shouldn't affect 5GHz., though.

By the way, no percentage in clearing the nvram before you flash it, just clear it after you flash it.

Just saw this posting, as well, that might have something for you, too:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=82113&postcount=1

Well I moves the router down and away from the metal shelving and speed tested it. Still using the 5GHz band and sitting right next to the router. When I run a speed test, the speed spikes to around 20 and then immediately drops below 5. This is pretty much reproducible every time. I checked my WiFi settings and I have WMM enabled and QoS is off.

Update: I am now getting slow speeds from Ethernet, so it looks like this is the provider's issue. The only odd thing is on Ethernet now I pull around 8-10 (varies a lot) but on WiFi only 2-3 even when in the same room. Is this normal? It doesn't seem like it to me.

Since you say the ethernet connection is also slow, I would try your speed testing by plugging into the modem rather then the router and test. That would get the router out of the picture and tell if provider or the router is at fault.
--bill

Or do your speed tests between two local computers - one over Ethernet, one over Wifi. That's the only way to really troubleshoot local issues.

Problem solved now. Turns out it was the cable internet all along. Tech came out today and ran a new line. Speeds are back to normal. Thanks for all your help