What's new

Feature request: guest network with comms privilege

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Arnstein

Regular Contributor
I would like to configure a guest SSID that allows its clients to communicate with each other, and with the router itself.

Use case: I would put my entertainment devices including Rokus and music players on the guest network. I would like these devices to be able to "talk" to each other. As well, I would like to operate a media server on the router for these devices to use. However, I would not like these devices (and possible hackers) to access my computers, wired and otherwise. This is a security issue.

Perhaps you’ve thought of this already but, depending on which entertainment devices you have, some times your mobile devices need to talk to them. For instance air play or similar.

Perhaps you’ve thought of this already but, depending on which entertainment devices you have, some times your mobile devices need to talk to them. For instance air play or similar.
Agreed. It is easy to switch my phone between two SSIDs. And I would do so. One SSID for interacting with the entertainment devices, another for serious work.

Surely the "clients talking to each other" part can already be achieved using the "AP isolated" settings. So that only leaves the access to the router's media player.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!